- Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith join Obama youth initiative Updated: Apr-29-16 8:12 am
LOS ANGELES - Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith are adding their star power to President Barack Obama's initiative to boost opportunities for vulnerable young Americans.
- Student gets custom trombone, peers get music knowledge Updated: Apr-28-16 9:50 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews is no stranger to New Orleans' music scene, having grown up inside it.
- Arizona Republicans want funding for Koch-backed schools Updated: Apr-28-16 6:18 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona's Republican leaders have proposed earmarking millions of dollars for programs at the state's public universities that are backed by billionaire Republican donor Charles Koch.
- John Brown University gets $3 million challenge grant Updated: Apr-28-16 12:39 pm
SILOAM SPRINGS, Arkansas - The Windgate Foundation is giving a $3 million lead challenge grant to John Brown University for the school's renovation project for a women's residence hall.
- 3 schools get grants to help combat urban heat island Updated: Apr-28-16 3:44 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer says three schools have been awarded grants for projects to help combat urban heat island.
- Chicago tourism numbers hit new record at nearly 51 million Updated: Apr-27-16 6:23 am
CHICAGO - The number of domestic visitors to Chicago hit a record last year, reaching nearly 51 million.
- Community college gets advanced manufacturing grant Updated: Apr-26-16 8:20 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Piedmont Virginia Community College is getting a $439,000 grant to establish a two-year degree program in advanced manufacturing.
- Investment collaboration plans $100M impact in Chicago Updated: Apr-25-16 10:54 pm
CHICAGO - A new collaboration among philanthropic organization hopes to make investments of $100 million in Chicago nonprofit organizations and social enterprises.
- Muhammad Salah, acquitted of supporting Hamas, dead at 62 Updated: Apr-25-16 6:13 pm
CHICAGO - Muhammad Salah, a suburban Chicago man who fought off charges he supported Hamas, has died. He was 62.
- Suicide problem acute in New Jersey Updated: Apr-24-16 11:09 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - For many years New Jersey had the lowest suicide rate of any state in the nation. But that distinction has ebbed recently, just as the nation's rate of suicide rose to the highest level in three decades, according to data released Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Rhode Island Foundation awards nearly $300,000 in grants Updated: Apr-23-16 12:10 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Foundation has awarded nearly $300,000 in health care grants to eight local organizations.
- Slain officer honored by Omaha Police Foundation Updated: Apr-22-16 6:57 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - An officer killed in the line of duty has been honored by the Omaha Police Foundation with its highest award.
- OHSU plans educational center in Klamath Falls Updated: Apr-21-16 12:18 pm
KLAMATH FALLS, Oregon - Sky Lakes Medical Center and Oregon Health & Science University announced a partnership to launch a $50 million project for a new clinical and education building.
- Univ. of Arizona prof gets fellowship for space research Updated: Apr-21-16 5:56 am
TUCSON, Arizona - A University of Arizona astrophysicist has won a prestigious fellowship that she plans to use for research on black holes and a type of extremely dense stars.
- Ayotte-backed bill for breast cancer research to be signed Updated: Apr-21-16 12:33 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A bill that U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte helped introduce to benefit breast cancer research is awaiting President Barack Obama's signature.
- Hall foundation gives $8 million to Kansas Cancer Center Updated: Apr-20-16 1:02 pm
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - The Hall Family Foundation has given an $8 million gift to help The University of Kansas Cancer Center receive a national cancer center designation.
- UAE tycoon launches largest Arab education fund with $1.14B Updated: Apr-20-16 11:05 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A billionaire businessman from the United Arab Emirates launched the Arab world's largest education fund on Wednesday, setting aside $1.14 billion (4.2 billion dirhams) in grants for underserved youth from the region.
- Navy scraps mailer over sexism accusations Updated: Apr-19-16 5:59 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The U.S. Navy said Tuesday it has scrapped a national recruiting mailer that promised women they can enlist without compromising their feminine side and pursue careers that "most girls aren't even aware of."
- Dispute involving Schwan foundation before state high court Updated: Apr-19-16 8:20 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The South Dakota Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments next week in a dispute involving the charitable foundation established by the late frozen food magnate Marvin Schwan.
- 108-year-old veteran stays on solid ground, skips flight Updated: Apr-18-16 7:10 pm
CHICO, California - A 108-year-old woman believed to be the oldest living female military veteran kept her feet firmly on the ground Monday, deciding at the last minute to turn down a flight aboard a World War II-era biplane, according to the nonprofit that organized the ride.
- US grant of $20 million will study Lake Champlain resiliency Updated: Apr-18-16 2:51 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Scientists from a number of Vermont colleges and universities will be using a $20 million federal grant to study what makes some sections of the Lake Champlain watershed bounce back faster than others after extreme weather, officials announced Monday.
- Mitchell science teacher earns national award Updated: Apr-17-16 9:30 am
MITCHELL, South Dakota - A Mitchell science teacher has been recognized with a national award.
- Pennington County misses cut for multimillion-dollar grant Updated: Apr-16-16 7:02 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Pennington County has missed out on a nonprofit's multimillion-dollar grant meant to help officials determine how to remediate a jail population that has more than tripled in five years.
- Vikings to recognize 2015 Minnesota Football Honors winners Updated: Apr-16-16 2:13 pm
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minnesota - The Minnesota Vikings will recognize the 2015 winners of the Minnesota Football Honors on Sunday.
- Obama's income fell to $436,000, lowest of his presidency Updated: Apr-15-16 5:59 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's income fell to just over $436,000 in 2015, the lowest of his presidency, and he and first lady Michelle Obama paid nearly $81,500 in taxes, according to tax returns the White House released on Friday.