- University of Michigan event raises over $110K for charity Updated: Feb-04-16 12:21 pm
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - A star-studded Signing Day event at the University of Michigan has helped raise more than $110,000 for the Chad Tough Foundation.
- Section of historic Natchez house caves in Updated: Feb-04-16 7:31 am
NATCHEZ, Mississippi - Officials are trying to salvage a historic Greek Rival house in Natchez after a section of it caved in.
- Philanthropic organization approves $56 million in grants Updated: Feb-04-16 4:01 am
DETROIT - The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan has approved more than $56 million in funding for nonprofits.
- Rockefeller Foundation gives $130M to stem food losses Updated: Feb-03-16 11:40 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - The philanthropic group Rockefeller Foundation has announced a $130 million fund to reduce global food loss and waste.
- Foundation: Kensington decorative furnishings head to Seneca Updated: Feb-02-16 12:27 pm
SUMTER, South Carolina - A South Carolina foundation's collection of antique furnishings once shown at Kensington Mansion in Eastover is being sent to museums in Seneca and Columbia.
- IU students question school accepting Koch foundation grant Updated: Feb-01-16 8:18 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - Some Indiana University students are questioning a $210,000 research grant a professor has accepted from a foundation tied to the conservative billionaire Koch brothers.
- Harvey Weinstein honored at amfAR New York Fashion Week gala Updated: Jan-28-16 5:52 pm
NEW YORK - The Foundation for AIDS Research is recognizing film producer Harvey Weinstein at its annual New York Fashion Week gala.
- Correction: Pets-Fetch-And-Sketch story Updated: Jan-28-16 5:51 pm
LOS ANGELES - In a story Jan. 27 about artist Rafael Mantesso and his dog Jimmy Choo, The Associated Press reported erroneously that their apartment was in New York. The apartment is in Belo Horizonte in Brazil, not New York. Also Instagram account first used was @rafaelmantesso, not #jimmythebull.
- DiCaprio greets pope in Italian, discusses environment Updated: Jan-28-16 2:49 pm
VATICAN CITY - Actor Leonardo DiCaprio brushed up his Italian to greet Pope Francis at the Vatican Thursday, discussed their shared concern over the environment and gave the pontiff a check for his charitable works.
- Foundation honors Detroit photographer as Eminent Artist Updated: Jan-28-16 12:01 pm
DETROIT - The Kresge Foundation has named a Detroit photographer and activist as winner of its Eminent Artist award for 2016.
- Analysis of racial polling shows whites more aware of racism Updated: Jan-28-16 12:20 am
PHILADELPHIA - More white Americans now share the view, long held by minorities, that racism is a national problem and should be confronted, according to an analysis of recent public opinion polling.
- Jack Reed Sr., who lost 1987 Mississippi governor race, dies Updated: Jan-27-16 9:31 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Jack Reed Sr., a Tupelo businessman who spoke out against Mississippi's segregationist culture and was a longtime advocate for public schools before losing a race for governor in 1987, has died.
- Ford Presidential Museum reopening in June after overhaul Updated: Jan-27-16 3:59 pm
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - The Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum is expected to reopen this spring after being closed in October to allow crews to install new, permanent interactive exhibits and conduct renovations at the facility in Grand Rapids, officials announced Wednesday.
- General Mills Foundation donates $3M for Minneapolis parks Updated: Jan-27-16 1:03 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The General Mills Foundation has donated $3 million to help fund park projects along the Mississippi River waterfront in Minneapolis.
- Nonprofit reaches fundraising goal for Gateway Arch upgrade Updated: Jan-26-16 3:17 pm
ST. LOUIS - A nonprofit coordinating a $380-million renovation of the Gateway Arch grounds in St. Louis says it has reached its fundraising goal of $250 million.
- Museum renames Middle East gallery for William Davidson Updated: Jan-26-16 10:46 am
DETROIT - The Detroit Institute of Arts is renaming its revamped Ancient Middle East gallery in recognition of $5 million grant from the William Davidson Foundation.
- Stenehjem: NDSU fundraising arm violated open records law Updated: Jan-25-16 4:51 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem (STEHN'-juhm) says the fundraising arm of North Dakota State University violated the state's open records law.
- JK Rowling to receive PEN award for literary service Updated: Jan-25-16 10:22 am
NEW YORK - J.K. Rowling's latest honor isn't only for her writing.
- Tuscaloosa fails in bid for HUD funds Updated: Jan-24-16 10:40 am
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - After a yearlong competition for a piece of $1 billion pie, the city of Tuscaloosa learned it will receive nothing.
- Toddler who got lifesaving transplant meets donor Updated: Jan-23-16 12:02 am
BOCA RATON, Florida - One day of Laura Pacheco's time gave a 3-year-old stranger a lifetime.
- Christian flag removed from Unicoi school board meeting room Updated: Jan-22-16 4:37 pm
ERWIN, Tennessee - A Tennessee school board has removed a Christian flag from its public meeting room after objections were raised about the flag's legality.
- Board approves major gift to Oklahoma State Museum of Art Updated: Jan-22-16 2:32 pm
LANGSTON, Oklahoma - The Oklahoma State University Board of Regents has approved a gift from the Leon Polk Smith Foundation that will bring the influential work of an Oklahoma-born artist to the OSU Museum of Art.
- Legislator's children benefited from foundation he runs Updated: Jan-22-16 1:51 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - A state legislator whose children received college scholarships from the education foundation he runs said he had no role in choosing the scholarship recipients.
- Fashion designers, NFL team up on 50 footballs for charity Updated: Jan-21-16 3:41 pm
NEW YORK - Are you ready for some (bespoke) football? With Super Bowl 50 on the horizon, the NFL and the Council of Fashion Designers of America teamed up to deck out a half-century's worth of pigskins to raise money for the league's charitable foundation.
- APNewsbreak: Livestrong CEO resigns after less than 1 year Updated: Jan-19-16 6:15 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The chief executive and president of Livestrong resigned Tuesday after less than a year on the job, another blow to the cancer foundation that has struggled with sharp declines in donations and revenue since founder Lance Armstrong's performance-enhancing drug use scandal