- Kenyan university: 1 dead during stampede over drill Updated: Dec-01-15 6:02 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - A drill to test terrorism preparedness at a leading Kenyan university led to a stampede in which one person died and 20 others were injured, the institution said Monday.
- Obama urges Turkey, Russia to set tension aside, focus on IS Updated: Dec-01-15 5:55 am
PARIS - Aiming to head off a rift between major Mideast players, President Barack Obama urged Turkey and Russia on Tuesday to set aside tensions over the downing of a Russian warplane and focus on the common priority of defeating the Islamic State group.
- Detroit police chief: Armed citizens curb terrorism risk Updated: Dec-01-15 5:52 am
DETROIT - Detroit's police chief says he believes that fear that armed citizens would shoot back serves as a deterrent for a potential terrorist attack in the city.
- Israeli troops kill 2 Palestinians after stabbing attempts Updated: Dec-01-15 5:25 am
JERUSALEM - The Israeli military on Tuesday said it shot and killed two Palestinians who tried to carry out separate stabbing attacks in the West Bank.
- Syria's al-Qaida branch releases captive Lebanese soldiers Updated: Dec-01-15 5:13 am
BEIRUT - Syria's al-Qaida branch was releasing on Tuesday a group of Lebanese soldiers and policemen held captive since August 2014 as part of a swap deal brokered by Qatar that included Lebanon setting free an unspecified number of prisoners wanted by the militant group.
- Italian, Kosovar police detain 4 in terror plot Updated: Dec-01-15 5:07 am
MILAN - Authorities in Italy and Kosovo have detained four Kosovars suspected of making threats against the pope and a U.S. diplomat.
- Explosion kills 3 children, wounds 12 in north Afghanistan Updated: Dec-01-15 4:05 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - An Afghan police official says that an explosion has struck a group of children who were playing on the outskirts of a provincial capital in the country's north, killing three boys and wounding 12 children, four of them critically.
- Ukrainian president pardons Russian in prisoner exchange Updated: Dec-01-15 4:01 am
KIEV, Ukraine - President Petro Poroshenko has pardoned a Russian citizen arrested in eastern Ukraine and exchanged him for a Ukrainian serviceman held by Russian-backed separatists.
- From Homeland to hair: Clinton emails peek into the personal Updated: Nov-30-15 7:37 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest release of Hillary Clinton's private emails show her, as secretary of state, dealing with the complicated politics of the Arab Spring, fending off questions about her role in the deadly 2012 Benghazi attacks and attempting to navigate an intensifying conflict between Israel and Palestine.
- Syrian family to settle in New Jersey Updated: Nov-30-15 5:20 pm
PATERSON, New Jersey - A family from Syria prepared to settle in northern New Jersey Monday, two weeks after Gov. Chris Christie told President Barack Obama that the state wouldn't accept any more Syrian refugees.
- House may move quickly to overhaul visa waiver program Updated: Nov-30-15 5:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress may move quickly to overhaul a program that allows travel to the U.S. with no visa, something that has come under criticism following the Paris terror attacks.
- Pope urges peace while visiting C. African Republic mosque Updated: Nov-30-15 5:06 pm
BANGUI, Central African Republic - Pope Francis made a historic visit to the last remaining Muslim neighborhood in Central African Republic's capital Monday, a move that almost immediately opened up a part of the divided city troubled for months by retaliatory violence between Muslim and Christian militias.
- World leaders gather to try to save Earth from overheating Updated: Nov-30-15 4:23 pm
LE BOURGET, France - With dramatic vows to save future generations from an overheated planet, the largest gathering ever of world leaders began two weeks of talks Monday aimed at producing the most far-reaching pact yet to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions and avert environmental havoc.
- British leader sets Syria airstrikes debate for Wednesday Updated: Nov-30-15 4:11 pm
LONDON - Prime Minister David Cameron called for a debate and vote in Parliament on Wednesday on whether Britain should launch airstrikes against militants in Syria, arguing that the nation must stand with its allies in confronting extremism.
- France carries out strikes on IS in Iraq after Paris attacks Updated: Nov-30-15 3:24 pm
PARIS - France says it has carried out five airstrikes in northern Iraq as part of stepped-up military operations against Islamic State militants.
- Report: Clashes between govt., rebels kill 30 in Congo Updated: Nov-30-15 1:32 pm
KINSHASA, Congo - Clashes between rebels and soldiers in eastern Congo killed at least 30 people, including civilians and a United Nations peacekeeper, the director of an activist group said Monday.
- Boko Haram destroys Nigerian military base; 107 troops MIA Updated: Nov-30-15 11:51 am
YOLA, Nigeria - Boko Haram destroyed a Nigerian military base as soldiers fled and only self-defense fighters prevented the insurgents from retaking a northeastern town, residents said Monday.
- Suicide bombing against Shiite pilgrims in Baghdad kills 9 Updated: Nov-30-15 11:38 am
BAGHDAD - A suicide bomber targeted Shiite Muslims taking part in an annual pilgrimage in Baghdad on Monday, killing nine people and wounding another 21, Iraqi security officials said.
- Obama, Putin discuss Syria, Ukraine during climate talks Updated: Nov-30-15 9:46 am
LE BOURGET, France - President Barack Obama urged Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday to decrease tensions with Turkey, as the U.S. and Russian leaders met briefly on the sidelines of global climate talks outside Paris.
- Taiwan says it has swapped convicted spies with China Updated: Nov-30-15 8:45 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Old foes China and Taiwan have swapped high-level convicted spies in a sign of goodwill linked to the first meeting ever between their presidents.
- EU slams Syria for gaps in chemical weapons declaration Updated: Nov-30-15 7:45 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A European Union envoy criticized Syria on Monday for "gaps and contradictions" in its declarations about its chemical weapons arsenal to the global watchdog overseeing the destruction of the toxic armaments.
- Officials say Saudi soldier, 2 Yemenis killed near border Updated: Nov-30-15 2:37 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Saudi officials say a Saudi soldier and two Yemenis have been killed in cross-border shooting and shelling by Yemen's Shiite rebels.
- Obama's first stop in Paris is saddest of destinations Updated: Nov-29-15 8:16 pm
PARIS - At another time, it would have been a glorious tour of Paris by night. But for the saddest of destinations.
- World War II injury sparks shared history for 2 families Updated: Nov-29-15 6:14 pm
WILSON, North Carolina - A friendship forged in the heat of war has connected two families - one in France and another in North Carolina - across an ocean and through three generations.
- Worldwide climate rallies draw hundreds of thousands Updated: Nov-29-15 3:57 pm
PARIS - Hundreds of thousands of people have taken part in rallies around the world on Sunday, calling on leaders to halt climate change on the eve of a major conference in Paris.