- Memorial set for 25 WWII US soldiers lost in Italian lake Updated: Apr-29-16 8:43 am
ALBANY, New York - A trio of U.S. Army veterans has teamed up to establish a memorial in Italy to the 25 American soldiers who drowned in an Alpine lake when their amphibious vehicle sank during World War II.
- French politicians decry violence at Nuit Debout protest Updated: Apr-29-16 8:18 am
PARIS - French politicians are decrying the violence that erupted at the edges of anti-labor reform protests in Paris and other French cities.
- 2 British men accused of funding Brussels bomb suspect Updated: Apr-29-16 8:12 am
LONDON - Two British men have been accused of giving money to a key suspect in the Brussels and Paris bombings.
- Italy's anti-terror chief: nabbed quartet were 'dangerous' Updated: Apr-29-16 8:05 am
ROME - Italy's top anti-terror prosecutor says four suspects arrested in northern Italy were "very dangerous."
- The Latest: Syrian TV: Rebels shell Aleppo mosque, kill 15 Updated: Apr-29-16 7:36 am
BEIRUT - The Latest on developments in Syria's civil war (all times local):
- After brief lull, new air raids over Syrian city of Aleppo Updated: Apr-29-16 6:45 am
BEIRUT - After a brief morning lull, Syrian government warplanes launched fresh airstrikes Friday targeting rebel-held parts of Aleppo, raising fears of more casualties after days of carnage that propelled the contested northern city once again as a main battlefield in Syria's devastating civil war.
- 3 with family ties to San Bernardino shooters arrested Updated: Apr-29-16 4:57 am
RIVERSIDE, California - The brother of the man behind the San Bernardino terror attack and two Russian sisters have been charged with marriage fraud in a case that was unrelated to the December shootings but came to light in the investigation that followed it.
- Punishments but no criminal charges in US attack on hospital Updated: Apr-29-16 4:15 am
WASHINGTON - Administrative punishments but no criminal charges have been leveled against U.S. military personnel for mistakes that resulted in 42 people dying in last year's attack on a civilian hospital in Afghanistan operated by the medical charity Doctors Without Borders, officials said.
- North Korea accuses US soldiers of provoking border troops Updated: Apr-29-16 4:13 am
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea on Friday accused U.S. soldiers of trying to provoke its frontline troops with "disgusting" acts and encouraging South Korean soldiers to aim their guns at the North.
- Residents of Iraq's IS-held Fallujah suffer under siege Updated: Apr-29-16 3:55 am
BAGHDAD - Abu Jassim can only afford to provide one meal a day for his seven-member family - usually a stew made of locally grown leafy green vegetables or rice with a small portion of flat bread.
- US fears rise of jihadists in moderate Bangladesh Updated: Apr-29-16 3:47 am
WASHINGTON - The slaying in Bangladesh of a U.S. Agency for International Development employee has intensified U.S. concern that the strategically located South Asian country with traditions of religious tolerance is under threat from Islamic extremists.
- Nigerian princess seeks funds to help Boko Haram survivors Updated: Apr-29-16 3:26 am
ATLANTA - It pains Nigerian princess Modupe Ozolua every time she hears about the suicide bombings, killings and kidnappings by the Boko Haram militant group in her ancestral homeland.
- Russia, China in agreement on North Korea, South China Sea Updated: Apr-29-16 3:21 am
BEIJING - Denouncing what they see as outside interference in the South China Sea and Korean Peninsula, the foreign ministers of Russia and China voiced mutual support Friday as they seek to counter the influence of Washington and its allies, particularly in Asia.
- Men accused in terror plot arraigned on additional charges Updated: Apr-28-16 9:00 pm
BOSTON - Two men already held on charges they conspired to help the Islamic State group have pleaded not guilty to additional terrorism charges.
- The Latest: 3 tied to terror shooter deny sham-marriage plot Updated: Apr-28-16 8:50 pm
RIVERSIDE, California - The Latest on warrants served in a marriage fraud investigation stemming from the December terror attack that killed 14 in San Bernardino (all times local):
- UN says 9,333 killed since Ukraine conflict began Updated: Apr-28-16 7:52 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Nearly 10,000 people have been killed and more than 20,000 injured since the Ukraine conflict began in April 2014, a top U.N. official said Thursday.
- Biden presses Iraq to not let political chaos upend gains Updated: Apr-28-16 5:39 pm
BAGHDAD - Vice President Joe Biden pressed Iraq on Thursday not to let its crippling political crisis upend hard-fought gains against the Islamic State group as he returned to the country that's come to symbolize America's relentless struggles in the Middle East.
- Ohio massacre: 1 family, 8 dead, hundreds of tips, 0 answers Updated: Apr-28-16 5:15 pm
PIKETON, Ohio - From her house on Union Hill Road, Brittany Barker heard the first sirens first thing in the morning. She looked out and saw four police vehicles rush past. That was only the beginning.
- Israel treads carefully with claim to Golan Updated: Apr-28-16 5:06 pm
JERUSALEM - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has sparked a new diplomatic brushfire by declaring that the Golan Heights, seized from Syria in the 1967 Mideast war, is and should remain "under Israel's sovereignty permanently."
- Israelis, Palestinians differ on shooting after teens killed Updated: Apr-28-16 4:02 pm
QATANA, West Bank - Palestinian siblings gunned down at a West Bank checkpoint after approaching Israeli troops - with knives, according to Israel - were needlessly killed and could have been subdued without deadly force, their parents, witnesses and an Israeli lawmaker said Thursday.
- 1st funeral held for victims of Ohio slayings that killed 8 Updated: Apr-28-16 2:12 pm
SOUTH SHORE, Kentucky - A funeral amid extra security was held Thursday in Kentucky for one of eight people shot dead in Ohio in what authorities describe as a cold-blooded massacre targeting a single family.
- UK police charge 3 with terrorism offenses in Birmingham Updated: Apr-28-16 2:04 pm
LONDON - British police on Thursday charged two men and a woman from Birmingham with terrorism-related offenses in a probe that began after the deadly extremist attacks on Paris and Brussels.
- Haley: Feds have left South Carolina in dark on Guantanamo Updated: Apr-28-16 2:02 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley on Thursday criticized the federal government for keeping her in the dark about plans to potentially transfer Guantanamo detainees to South Carolina, telling a U.S. House panel that she has heard no details about what she says could be detrimental for her state.
- Afghan prosecutor shot dead in western Herat province Updated: Apr-28-16 1:05 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - An Afghan official says the chief prosecutor for Herat province has been shot and killed by unknown gunmen in western Afghanistan.
- Fighting erupts in Turkish parliament over contentious bill Updated: Apr-28-16 12:25 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish lawmakers on Thursday fought and threw punches at each other as they debated a contentious ruling-party proposal to strip themselves of immunity from prosecution - a move that could pave the way for the trial of pro-Kurdish legislators on terrorism-related charges. Five people were hurt in the fighting, a news agency reported.