- 2 soldiers dead, 24 wounded in suicide attack in Turkey Updated: Aug-02-15 12:31 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Officials says two soldiers have been killed and 24 others wounded in a suicide attack by Kurdish rebels in eastern Turkey.
- New Afghan Taliban leader promises to continue insurgency Updated: Aug-01-15 11:20 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - Political uncertainty inside the Taliban has cast doubt on the prospects for an end to the war in Afghanistan. On Saturday the Taliban's controversial new leader vowed to continue fighting while urging unity among his followers in a message aimed at preventing a split in the group between those who want peace and those who still believe they can win.
- Original sound of Japan emperor's war-end speech released Updated: Aug-01-15 5:14 pm
TOKYO - The 4 ½-minute speech that has reverberated throughout Japan's modern history since it was delivered by Emperor Hirohito at the end of World War II has come back to life in digital form.
- Exiled Yemen prime minister visits war-torn city of Aden Updated: Aug-01-15 2:37 pm
SANAA, Yemen - Yemen's exiled prime minister has visited the country's war-torn city of Aden, months after a Saudi-led airstrike campaign began against Shiite Houthi rebels there, authorities said.
- Iraqi Kurds ask Kurdistan Workers Party to 'withdraw' Updated: Aug-01-15 2:32 pm
BAGHDAD - Iraq's Kurdish regional government called on the Kurdistan Worker's Party to "withdraw" from Iraq's Kurdish territory Saturday to prevent civilian deaths amid a campaign of Turkish airstrikes targeting the group.
- Kerry in Cairo for Egypt security talks Updated: Aug-01-15 2:05 pm
CAIRO - Secretary of State John Kerry is in Cairo for security talks with Egyptian officials before heading to Qatar to try to ease Arab concerns about the Iran nuclear deal.
- Palestinian shot by Israeli troops during protest dies Updated: Aug-01-15 1:50 pm
RAMALLAH, West Bank - An 18-year-old protester shot by Israeli troops during a demonstration over the killing of a Palestinian toddler died of his wounds Saturday, Palestinian health officials said.
- Ukraine calls on Russia to negotiate end to war in east Updated: Aug-01-15 1:11 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Ukraine's foreign minister is calling on Russia to come to "real negotiations" about a cease-fire and stabilization in Ukraine's war-torn east which will require fair elections that are internationally monitored.
- Syrian rebel group leaves their HQ after clash with al-Qaida Updated: Aug-01-15 11:20 am
BEIRUT - Clashes between members of al-Qaida's branch in Syria and a rebel faction in the country's north believed to have been trained by the U.S. government have stopped after the rebels left their headquarters, activists said Saturday.
- Families struggle 10 years after Ohio Marines killed in Iraq Updated: Aug-01-15 11:07 am
CINCINNATI - Some people look surprised and tell him they just can't believe it's been 10 years already. For Keith Wightman, time hasn't passed quickly at all.
- South Sudan: Thousands risk starvation amid Nile blockade Updated: Aug-01-15 10:07 am
JUBA, South Sudan - Thousands of civilians in South Sudan's Upper Nile state face starvation after the government blocked aid groups from using the Nile River to deliver relief food, aid agencies said Friday.
- UN says at least 1,332 Iraqis killed by violence in July Updated: Aug-01-15 8:13 am
BAGHDAD - At least 1,332 Iraqis were killed by violence in July amid the war against the Islamic State group, a slight drop from June, according to U.N. figures released Saturday.
- Ceremony Sunday to honor Ohio-based Marines killed in Iraq Updated: Aug-01-15 6:19 am
CINCINNATI - A Vietnam War prisoner of war who formerly headed Veterans Services in Ohio plans to speak at a memorial gathering for Ohio-based Marines killed in Iraq.
- Germany shelves Nazi crimes probe of US man Updated: Aug-01-15 12:36 am
BERLIN - German prosecutors have shelved their Nazi war crimes investigation of a retired Minnesota carpenter whom The Associated Press exposed as a former commander in an SS-led unit, saying Friday that the 96-year-old is not fit for trial.
- Kerry off to Mideast with Egypt, Iran deal, Syria on agenda Updated: Jul-31-15 11:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry headed to the Middle East on Friday for security talks in Egypt and discussions in Qatar with Arab foreign ministers whose countries are wary of the nuclear deal struck with Iran.
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle old dispute Updated: Jul-31-15 9:16 pm
NEW DELHI - At the stroke of midnight Friday, tens of thousands of stateless people who were stranded for decades along the poorly defined border between India and Bangladesh will finally get to choose their citizenship, as the two countries swapped more than 150 pockets of land to settle the demarcation line dividing them.
- Mexican judge orders 4 soldiers to stand trial in 7 deaths Updated: Jul-31-15 6:15 pm
MEXICO CITY - A federal judge in Mexico has ordered that four soldiers be held for trial on charges including forced disappearance and murder related to the deaths of seven people.
- No bail for man charged with trying to join Islamic State Updated: Jul-31-15 3:50 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Arafat Nagi had made an oath to the Islamic State group, outfitted himself to fight and had a one-way ticket to the Middle East at the time of his arrest, federal authorities said Friday.
- Q&A: A look at violent Jewish attacks on Palestinians Updated: Jul-31-15 2:23 pm
JERUSALEM - The torching of a West Bank home that burned a Palestinian toddler to death marks one of the most serious cases of suspected Jewish violence against Arabs. Though the attacks rarely kill and are smaller in scope than past Palestinian attacks, Jewish extremists have for years been attacking Palestinian property, as well as mosques, churches and even Israeli schools and military bases, often to counter what they perceive to be the Israeli government's soft stance toward Palestinians.
- Despite bombing, Islamic State is no weaker than a year ago Updated: Jul-31-15 1:38 pm
WASHINGTON - After billions of dollars spent and more than 10,000 extremist fighters killed, the Islamic State group is fundamentally no weaker than it was when the U.S.-led bombing campaign began a year ago, American intelligence agencies have concluded.
- US condemns terrorist attack that killed Palestinian toddler Updated: Jul-31-15 10:56 am
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is condemning an arson attack by suspected Jewish extremists in the West Bank that killed a Palestinian toddler, branding it a "vicious terrorist" act that must be punished.
- Space center gets World Trade Center beam for 9/11 memorial Updated: Jul-31-15 8:43 am
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida - A beam from the World Trade Center will be added to a 9/11 memorial at the Kennedy Space Center.
- Suicide bomber kills 10 at Maiduguri market in north Nigeria Updated: Jul-31-15 6:13 am
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria - A suicide bomber killed about 10 people at a crowded market early Friday in a blast that thundered across the northeastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri, witnesses said.
- $10,000 reward offered in arson at Asheville armory Updated: Jul-31-15 4:18 am
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - The U.S. Army's Criminal Investigation Command is offering a $10,000 reward in an arson case in which $1.6 million in National Guard vehicles were destroyed earlier this year.
- Dig returns to artifact-rich Colonial American site in NY Updated: Jul-31-15 3:12 am
LAKE GEORGE, New York - An archaeological project has returned to an artifact-rich state park in the southern Adirondacks on what was the focal point of the warring British and French empires more than 250 years ago.