- Michigan Tech gives president 2-year contract extension Updated: Jun-02-15 4:05 am
HOUGHTON, Michigan - Michigan Technological University in Houghton has given its president a two-year extension.
- Free test-preparation program for revamped SAT goes online Updated: Jun-02-15 3:53 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The nonprofit organization behind the SAT college entrance exam is teaming up with a Silicon Valley pioneer in online education to make test-preparation materials available for free.
- Virginia School of Law dean will step down next summer Updated: Jun-02-15 3:10 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The dean of the University of Virginia's School of Law is stepping down next summer.
- Virginia Tech board approves $1.4 billion budget Updated: Jun-02-15 2:58 am
BLACKSBURG, Virginia - The Virginia Tech Board of Visitors has approved a $1.4 billion budget for the upcoming school year.
- Universities pledge tuition limits if lawmakers hike funding Updated: Jun-01-15 10:08 pm
SALEM, Oregon - The presidents of Oregon universities are pledging to limit tuition hikes if the Legislature agrees to boost higher education funding over the next two years.
- Hawaii giant telescope protests lead to stewardship plan Updated: Jun-01-15 9:41 pm
HONOLULU - The University of Hawaii announced a plan Monday that will lead to the removal of several large telescopes on Mauna Kea.
- Activists protesting UW animal lab come down from excavator Updated: Jun-01-15 8:38 pm
SEATTLE - The University of Washington says two animal rights activists who climbed to the top of an excavator at a construction site to protest the building of an animal research facility have come down with assistance from the Seattle Fire Department.
- Key piece of budget-balancing plan meets resistance in House Updated: Jun-01-15 8:02 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Lawmakers in the House have stalled a key piece of legislation sought by Gov. Bobby Jindal as part of the state's budget-balancing plan, a bill designed to allow the governor to maintain his record against tax increases.
- Initiative filed to limit college tuition, tax corporations Updated: Jun-01-15 7:08 pm
PHOENIX - College tuition in Arizona could increase by no more than the cost of living every year and corporations could see tax hikes under a proposed voter initiative.
- WVU completes purchase of Mountain State campus Updated: Jun-01-15 6:35 pm
MORGANTOWN, West Virginia - West Virginia University has sealed its purchase of the former Mountain State University campus in Beckley.
- Assembly clears community college classes in high school Updated: Jun-01-15 5:56 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - High school students across California would be able to take community college classes under proposed state legislation.
- Brown announces appointment of Locke as new provost Updated: Jun-01-15 5:54 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Brown University has appointed a new provost.
- Iowa lawmakers agree to compromise budget topping $7 billion Updated: Jun-01-15 5:24 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The state will spend about $7.3 billion for the upcoming fiscal year under a compromise deal Iowa lawmakers announced Monday.
- Orchestra instructors want to grow program at Gary school Updated: Jun-01-15 5:08 pm
GARY, Indiana - The teachers who run the school orchestra at Wirt-Emerson Visual and Performing Arts Academy in Gary are committed to growing the program despite financial challenges in the local school district, they said.
- Panel recommends censure for U of Illinois over Salaita Updated: Jun-01-15 4:48 pm
URBANA, Illinois - The American Association of University Professors later this month will decide whether to censure the University of Illinois over the decision not to hire a professor following his anti-Israel tweets.
- Powers leaving UT-Austin as diversity issues linger Updated: Jun-01-15 4:35 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Bill Powers won't be the University of Texas at Austin president who decides whether to keep a statue of Jefferson Davis, a tribute to the president of the Confederacy, on campus.
- Search firm sought in finding next chancellor of college Updated: Jun-01-15 2:01 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Officials with the University of Nebraska have started the process of looking for the next chancellor of its Lincoln campus.
- University's $45.8M 2015-16 budget to include personnel cuts Updated: Jun-01-15 10:46 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky State University President Raymond Burse has outlined plans for next year's $45.8 million operating budget, which includes cuts to faculty and staff jobs.
- Editorials from around Ohio Updated: Jun-01-15 10:38 am
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from Ohio newspapers:
- Toxin found in wells at former UC Davis animal testing lab Updated: Jun-01-15 9:01 am
SACRAMENTO, California - University of California, Davis officials are investigating the source of high levels of Chromium-6, or hexavalent chromium, recorded at the site of its former animal testing lab.
- University of Central Florida dorms evacuated for brush fire Updated: Jun-01-15 5:31 am
ORLANDO, Florida - Students at the University of Central Florida who were evacuated from their residence halls when a small brush fire sparked nearby have returned safely.
- Punk rocker starts 2nd career as lawyer Updated: Jun-01-15 4:15 am
DETROIT - Royce Nunley is prepared to set down his bass and pick up a brief as he begins his "second act" as an attorney.
- Board of Shaw University chooses alumna as next president Updated: Jun-01-15 4:06 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The South's first historically black university has chosen an alumna as its next president.
- Notre Dame expands its business college space in Chicago Updated: Jun-01-15 4:05 am
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - The University of Notre Dame's Mendoza College of Business has expanded its space in Chicago for its graduate and executive business programs.
- Roger Williams to offer bachelor's degree in EMS Updated: Jun-01-15 2:25 am
BRISTOL, Rhode Island - A private university in southeastern Rhode Island is launching the state's first bachelor's degree program in emergency medical services.