- Wayne State study looks to improve urban farm soil tests Updated: Jun-29-15 2:01 am
DETROIT - A study by Wayne State University in Detroit is trying to develop a more reliable method for testing the safety of urban farm sites.
- RI fishermen to receive funds to improve sustainability Updated: Jun-28-15 12:26 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island fishermen are to receive up to $475,000 in federal funds to support research aimed at improving sustainability of local fisheries.
- 14 workers taken to Waco hospitals after recycling unit fire Updated: Jun-26-15 10:16 am
WACO, Texas - Authorities say 14 workers at a Central Texas recycling plant have been transported to Waco hospitals to be checked after a chemical fire.
- Crews work to contain large fire at west Charlotte facility Updated: Jun-25-15 4:49 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Officials say more than 75 firefighters worked to contain a large fire at a recycling plant in west Charlotte.
- Beecher urban farmer brings dream of organic market to life Updated: Jun-24-15 6:07 am
BEECHER, Michigan - When urban farmer Jacky King gets an idea, he makes it happen.
- Purdue starting construction on materials research facility Updated: Jun-24-15 3:58 am
WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana - Purdue University is starting construction on a new research facility aimed at developing energy-efficient materials.
- ND organic farmers can apply for certification aid Updated: Jun-22-15 2:29 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Organic Cost Share Program is accepting applications.
- North Dakota organic farmers can apply for certification aid Updated: Jun-21-15 10:32 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Producers and processors of organic food in North Dakota can apply for help paying their certification costs.
- Foul smell over part of Marquette blamed on compost Updated: Jun-18-15 8:23 am
MARQUETTE, Michigan - A foul smell that drifted over part of Marquette is being blamed on compost.
- Farm plans $44M expansion for organic, cage-free eggs Updated: Jun-18-15 2:22 am
SARANAC, Michigan - A poultry farm in western Michigan plans to invest $44 million in an expansion that it says will create 50 new jobs.
- Smoke from compost fire prompts freeway on-ramp closure Updated: Jun-17-15 9:02 am
IRWINDALE, California - Officials have closed a Los Angeles County freeway on-ramp as smoke from a slow-burning compost fire blows into lanes.
- Crews knock down fire at North Las Vegas recycling plant Updated: Jun-17-15 6:26 am
NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nevada - Firefighters battled a three-alarm fire at a recycling plant in North Las Vegas, taking more than six hours to knock it down.
- City says explosive device caused Neosho plant explosion Updated: Jun-16-15 5:51 am
NEOSHO, Missouri - City officials say an explosive device caused a blast at a recycling facility in southwest Missouri city that killed one person and injured another in what's being investigated as a workplace accident.
- Man crushed to death in compactor at Florida recycling plant Updated: Jun-15-15 12:09 pm
WINTER GARDEN, Florida - Officials say a man was crushed to death inside a machine at a central Florida recycling plant.
- Caretaker of DSU buildings, grounds retires after 23 years Updated: Jun-14-15 12:36 pm
MADISON, South Dakota - The director of building and grounds at Dakota State University has retired after 23 years at the helm.
- Coahoma County to expand recycling program Updated: Jun-12-15 4:34 am
CLARKSDALE, Mississippi - Coahoma County will spend $46,800 to add new locations for its recycling program.
- Idaho health exchange needs revenue boost to be sustainable Updated: Jun-11-15 8:26 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho's online insurance exchange needs to collect $9 million in total revenue by the summer of 2017 or risk dipping into its limited reserves in order to stay in business.
- Trailer truck with recycled goods burns on I-20 Updated: Jun-11-15 9:59 am
FLORENCE, South Carolina - Crews from four fire departments and officials from the Department of Health and Environmental Control are on the scene after a truck carrying recycled cardboard and plastic began burning on Interstate 20 near Florence.
- Correction: Seed Potato Program story Updated: Jun-10-15 8:23 pm
KENAI, Alaska - In a story June 9 about the Plant Materials Center's seed potato program, The Associated Press reported erroneously that congressional approval is needed for the program to continue next year. It needs state legislative approval.
- Nashville Music City Center abuzz with 100,000 bees on roof Updated: Jun-10-15 8:12 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Nashville's Music City Center is now home to 100,000 bees as part of the venue's sustainability initiative.
- BGE holding air conditioner recycling event in Maryland Updated: Jun-09-15 4:19 am
BALTIMORE - Baltimore Gas and Electric says residential customers can get $25 in exchange for turning in old air conditioners and dehumidifiers at an event in Maryland.
- ND announces project to treat, recycle oil drilling waste Updated: Jun-09-15 2:05 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Gov. Jack Dalrymple and an Arizona company are touting a process aimed treating and recycling oil drilling waste.
- Plan for sustainable development in Baltimore to be released Updated: Jun-08-15 7:20 am
BALTIMORE - A regional plan for sustainable development in Baltimore is scheduled to be released.
- California's drought spurring water recycling at home Updated: Jun-05-15 2:26 am
BERKELEY, California - Showering during California's drought is a guilt-free experience for homeowners Catarina Negrin and Noah Friedman.
- Farmers sow seeds, building friendships in Berkley fields Updated: Jun-04-15 11:35 am
BERKELEY, Missouri - Urban farmers near the St. Louis area say the land offers them a place where they can both sow seeds and friendship.