- French president in anti-extremism talks with Al-Azhar imam Updated: May-24-16 1:16 pm
PARIS - The French president has met with the grand imam of the prestigious Sunni Muslim center of learning Al-Azhar to share views on the fight against extremism.
- EU police: religious extremism still top security threat Updated: May-23-16 11:48 am
BRUSSELS - A top European Union police official says that despite extensive government action, violent religious-driven extremism remains the "top threat to the security" of the 28-nation bloc and its half billion citizens.
- Islamic State's lasting grip is a new hurdle for Europe, US Updated: May-22-16 6:24 am
PARIS - The girl, speaking in the lilting accent of southern France, appeared in government ads describing how she was recruited by Islamic State extremists during her quest for religion, then encouraged to quit school and go to Syria, and finally to plot a suicide attack against a synagogue at home.
- Sugar tax, spaceports meet pageantry in UK Queen's Speech Updated: May-18-16 12:51 pm
LONDON - Queen Elizabeth II donned an ermine-trimmed robe and diamond-studded crown Wednesday to announce government promises to put Britain at the cutting edge of technology and social progress in the 21st century.
- NATO sets up center in Albania to counter radicalism Updated: May-13-16 8:45 am
TIRANA, Albania - Albania's defense minister says NATO has decided to open a center in Tirana to help prevent people from trying to join rebel groups in Syria and Iraq.
- Cameron's anti-corruption summit faces uphill struggle Updated: May-12-16 6:27 am
LONDON - British Prime Minister David Cameron on Thursday called corruption a "cancer" at the heart of the world's problems, while U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said it was as great a threat as extremism.
- Microsoft exec: No silver bullet to fight terror on internet Updated: May-11-16 5:00 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A Microsoft executive told the U.N. Security Council on Wednesday that "there is no silver bullet that will stop terrorist use of the Internet."
- Jordan official: Extremism a result of no Palestinian state Updated: May-10-16 11:50 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Palestinian statehood is the most important issue now facing the world and that it fuels extremism gripping the Mideast, Jordan's foreign minister said Tuesday.
- Indonesia calls on Islamic leaders to promote tolerant Islam Updated: May-09-16 9:30 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesia's vice president on Monday called on Islamic leaders to spread messages about a tolerant Islam to curb extremism that often springs from misinterpretation of Islamic teachings.
- Kazakhstan calls for nuclear free world by 2045 Updated: May-06-16 6:45 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Kazakhstan is seeking to encourage a wide ranging discussion of the role of religion in fighting extremism and terrorism and it is calling for a nuclear free world by 2045, the 100th anniversary of the United Nations, as the Central Asian nation makes its first bid for a seat on the Security Council.
- Group: 13 Peuhls killed in latest attacks in Mali Updated: May-04-16 10:53 am
BAMAKO, Mali - Pro-government militia killed four members of the Peuhl ethnic group in central Mali and then struck again at the funeral, killing nine more victims, a local community group said Wednesday.
- 'Sharia police' that patrolled German city to be tried Updated: May-03-16 9:20 am
BERLIN - A German court says a group of Islamic extremists who patrolled the streets of the city of Wuppertal in orange vests with the words "Sharia police" can be tried for violating laws against wearing uniforms with political messages.
- Detention powers stir concern over Indonesia terror law Updated: May-03-16 3:25 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - A lawmaker involved in vetting Indonesia's proposed counter-terrorism law says a contentious provision allowing detention without trial for six months could undermine the fight against Islamic extremism.