- Group: 13 Peuhls killed in latest attacks in Mali Updated: May-04-16 10:53 am
BAMAKO, Mali - Pro-government militia killed four members of the Peuhl ethnic group in central Mali and then struck again at the funeral, killing nine more victims, a local community group said Wednesday.
- 'Sharia police' that patrolled German city to be tried Updated: May-03-16 9:20 am
BERLIN - A German court says a group of Islamic extremists who patrolled the streets of the city of Wuppertal in orange vests with the words "Sharia police" can be tried for violating laws against wearing uniforms with political messages.
- Detention powers stir concern over Indonesia terror law Updated: May-03-16 3:25 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - A lawmaker involved in vetting Indonesia's proposed counter-terrorism law says a contentious provision allowing detention without trial for six months could undermine the fight against Islamic extremism.
- In London's mayoral race, candidate rejects 'extremism' barb Updated: May-01-16 6:59 am
LONDON - One is a bus driver's son who grew up in social housing, the other a billionaire's son raised in a mansion. They are two very different London success stories, and one is about to become the city's next mayor.
- Dutch intelligence agency warns of violent extremists threat Updated: Apr-21-16 9:04 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A Dutch intelligence agency has warned that the Netherlands faces a complex threat from violent extremists returning from Syria, those prevented from travelling to fight overseas, and people radicalized by Jihadi propaganda who may want to carry out attacks at home.
- Police target hundreds of websites after Paris attacks Updated: Apr-15-16 9:36 am
PARIS - French police have targeted hundreds of websites suspected of "inciting or glorifying acts of terrorism" after the Paris attacks by ordering content removals, delisting sites from search engines or blocking access.
- Russia urges closing Turkey-Syria border to bar extremists Updated: Apr-14-16 11:21 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Russia called Thursday for the closing of the Turkey-Syrian border to prevent the Islamic State and the Al-Nusra Front extremist groups from receiving foreign fighters and weapons into Syria - and from exporting oil, artifacts and other goods.
- France following 9,000 tips on Islamic extremism Updated: Apr-14-16 4:56 pm
PARIS - French authorities have received 9,000 tips related to Islamic extremism through a dedicated hotline and a website, President Francois Hollande said Thursday.
- U2's Bono urges lawmakers to view aid as national security Updated: Apr-12-16 10:04 pm
WASHINGTON - U2 frontman Bono brought his star power to Capitol Hill Tuesday as he called on members of Congress to take swift action to deal with the global refugee crisis and violent extremism.
- Swede arrested in Brussels 'brainwashed' by militants Updated: Apr-10-16 6:19 am
MALMO, Sweden - Osama Krayem lived a delinquent lifestyle in Rosengard, an immigrant neighborhood in the Swedish city of Malmo, before he was "brainwashed" and joined Islamic militants in Syria, community activists and his aunt say.
- At conference, UN's Ban pushes against violent extremism Updated: Apr-08-16 9:25 am
GENEVA - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says the world needs to focus more on the root causes of terrorism, saying "when you have to counter terrorism, it's too late."
- Role of health services in anti-terrorism program questioned Updated: Apr-06-16 1:56 pm
BOSTON - Some Muslim and civil rights activists are calling on Massachusetts health and human service agencies to stop participating in a federal pilot program meant to combat terrorist recruitment in the U.S.
- In Pakistan, tackling extremism is a political minefield Updated: Apr-06-16 5:33 am
ISLAMABAD - Tackling extremism is a political minefield in Pakistan, where politicians openly consort with leaders of banned militant groups and sympathy exists within the security forces and civil administration for perpetrators of crimes committed in the name of religion. As a result, many remain skeptical of the state's ability to put an end to the militant violence that kills hundreds of Pakistani civilians each year.