- Memories the momentum behind saving Kansas City arena Updated: May-28-16 10:34 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The fate of an iconic Missouri arena might be resting on the memories of a generation of Midwesterners who once flocked there for large concerts and sports events.
- Paducah seeks to have City Hall named as historic place Updated: May-27-16 5:58 am
PADUCAH, Kentucky - Paducah city leaders are seeking to have City Hall be on the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places, a designation that could enable the city to receive historic tax credits for costly repairs to the building.
- New Nevada prisons chief declares shift toward inmate rehab Updated: May-25-16 7:07 pm
LAS VEGAS - The Nevada state official hired to reshape life behind bars in Nevada state prisons is promising to shift the system toward inmate rehabilitation, in an effort to protect the public.
- Association seeks to advance Confederate flag appeal Updated: May-25-16 4:34 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Heritage Preservation Association has argued for its appeal against the city of Danville in the Virginia Supreme Court, hoping to convince the court to hear a case involving the Confederate flag.
- Crews find McGillycuddy house's original wooden sidewalk Updated: May-22-16 10:08 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Crews at the McGillycuddy house in Rapid City have begun unearthing the home's original wooden sidewalk.
- Michigan sites get national recognition for historical value Updated: May-21-16 5:16 pm
DETROIT - The National Park Service is adding five Michigan sites to the National Register of Historic Places, including a former Detroit TV studio.
- Gullah-Geechee Corridor Commission meets in South Carolina Updated: May-21-16 11:08 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The four-state commission working to preserve the culture of slave descendants on the sea islands along the nation's southeast coast is meeting in South Carolina.
- Bay City's Historic Masonic Temple gets national recognition Updated: May-18-16 11:36 am
BAY CITY, Michigan - Officials say the Historic Masonic Temple in Bay City has been included in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Proposal: Music Row should be 'cultural industry district' Updated: May-16-16 1:45 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Nashville's Music Row should be designated a "cultural industry district," giving local property owners more options to protect the area's heritage, the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the local Music Industry Coalition say.
- Boarding house added to Register of Historic Places Updated: May-16-16 5:49 am
LAS VEGAS - A boarding house that welcomed black customers when they were barred from staying at Las Vegas hotels during the segregation era has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- Suburban NYC school recognized as state, national landmark Updated: May-16-16 3:40 am
HILLBURN, New York - A suburban New York City school where the first black Supreme Court justice once protested the district's failed integration has been recognized as a historic landmark.
- Burlington Discover Jazz Fest gets $25,000 Our Town grant Updated: May-16-16 3:29 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - The Burlington Discover Jazz Fest has been awarded a $25,000 Our Town grant for efforts in blending arts and culture with community revitalization initiatives.
- Volunteers to go on 'patrol' for Utah petroglyphs Updated: May-15-16 5:56 am
ST. GEORGE, Utah - Residents in southwestern Utah are standing watch over some of the area's most ancient rock art sites.
- Historic Hampton Beach inn set for demolition next week Updated: May-13-16 5:17 am
HAMPTON, New Hampshire - A historic inn that has sat on Hampton Beach's Ocean Boulevard for over a century is scheduled to be demolished next week.
- Archaeologists work to preserve resting place of pioneer Updated: May-13-16 5:01 am
AMITY, Indiana - Archaeologists carefully brushed away dirt and small stones, looking for changes in the soil that could help them locate a nearly 185-year-old grave.
- Tennessee Supreme Court building gets historic places marker Updated: May-12-16 3:11 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A new marker inside the doors of the Tennessee Supreme Court in Nashville celebrates the building's inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Preservation Alliance honors historic preservation work Updated: May-10-16 7:14 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The New Hampshire Preservation Alliance on Tuesday honored three towns with a combined population of fewer than 3,000 for renovating a meetinghouse, covered bridge and library.
- Museum seeks to keep portion of historic K-Falls building Updated: May-10-16 10:38 am
KLAMATH FALLS, Oregon - At least one Egyptian figurine from a historic building in downtown Klamath Falls may escape the rubble pile as the Klamath County Museum looks into salvaging a portion of a remaining concrete column before demolition is complete.
- 'A beautiful story': City rededicating, restoring cemetery Updated: May-08-16 11:57 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The Daughters of Zion Cemetery was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010, but there are no markers that make the designation - or the Charlottesville cemetery's cultural significance - known. Instead, there's stray trash and sinking and broken gravestones.
- Family excels in 2 languages in Craig Updated: May-07-16 11:04 am
CRAIG, Colorado - When Rosina Arellano used to drop off her son Nestor in kindergarten, it was tough for her to go home - maybe even impossible.
- Tesla waging car-sales fight before Utah Supreme Court Updated: May-06-16 1:29 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Tesla is fighting to sell its sleek electronic cars in Utah, arguing before the state supreme court that laws regulating traditional car dealers don't apply to it because its business model is fundamentally different.
- Town common, hall named to national historic places list Updated: May-05-16 12:37 pm
FRANCESTOWN, New Hampshire - The town common in Francestown and the Centennial Hall in North Hampton, New Hampshire, have been named to the National Register of Historic Places.
- Morgan State University designated a national treasure Updated: May-03-16 1:54 pm
BALTIMORE - The National Trust for Historic Preservation is naming Morgan State University a national treasure.
- In Pacific nation of Palau, Jellyfish Lake losing namesake Updated: May-03-16 2:33 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - The big question at Palau's Jellyfish Lake: Where are all the jellyfish?