- EU: Hungary must stop discriminating against Roma children Updated: May-26-16 11:59 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The European Union issued a warning to Hungary on Thursday about discrimination against Roma children in the country's education system.
- Rules proposed for school accountability Updated: May-26-16 6:04 am
WASHINGTON - Proposed federal guidelines would allow states to decide how to use a mix of test scores, academic growth and other measures like chronic absenteeism to identify failing schools and children who are struggling the most.
- District accused of demoting employee for maternity leave Updated: May-25-16 8:11 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - Federal officials are suing a South Florida school district, claiming an assistant principal was demoted for taking maternity leave.
- Babies behind bars: Should moms do time with their newborns? Updated: May-25-16 9:44 am
BEDFORD HILLS, New York - Jennifer Dumas sits on a sofa, her smiling 6-month-old girl on her lap. The room is full of bright toys and children's books. A rainbow-colored activity mat is on the floor, and Winnie the Pooh is painted on the walls.
- Mom charged with child abuse for letting son, 11, drive cart Updated: May-24-16 10:56 am
BALD HEAD ISLAND, North Carolina - A woman says she was arrested, charged with child abuse and detained for hours for letting her 11-year-old son drive a golf cart during a family vacation on a North Carolina beach resort island.
- Parents allege student mistreatment at Norwalk school Updated: May-20-16 8:25 am
NORWALK, Connecticut - The state is investigating a Norwalk school after several parents complained that their children are coming home with scratches and bruises.
- France's govt wants to allow divorce by mutual consent Updated: May-17-16 7:34 am
PARIS - The French government plans to allow divorce by mutual consent to proceed without a judge, to simplify and accelerate the process.
- Low-income high schoolers to get grants for college courses Updated: May-16-16 5:11 pm
WASHINGTON - For the first time, thousands of low-income high-school students in nearly two dozen states will soon be able to get federal grants to take college courses for credit, part of a program the Obama administration plans to begin this summer.
- Top baby names in Washington last year: Oliver and Olivia Updated: May-16-16 4:32 pm
EVERETT, Washington - The Social Security Administration says the top baby names in Washington state last year were Oliver and Olivia.
- Review: 'Unseen City' celebrates nature and urban parenting Updated: May-16-16 3:12 pm
"Unseen City: The Majesty of Pigeons, the Discreet Charm of Snails, & Other Wonders of the Urban Wilderness" (Rodale), by Nathanael Johnson
- Program pairs first-time mothers with nurses Updated: May-14-16 5:27 pm
LONGVIEW, Washington - London Jackson celebrated her first Mother's Day this year with her son, Taven McClure, who was born April 2.
- Kansas detective remembered as hero during funeral Updated: May-14-16 4:18 pm
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - A Kansas City, Kansas, police detective who was shot and killed while on duty earlier this week was remembered Saturday as a hero and loving father who devoted his life to serving others.
- James McAvoy and Anne-Marie Duff announce divorce Updated: May-13-16 4:55 pm
LOS ANGELES - Actors James McAvoy and Anne-Marie Duff are ending their nearly 10-year marriage.
- Federal govt won't hold up funds over NC bathroom law fight Updated: May-12-16 3:38 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration made clear Thursday it won't withhold money for North Carolina while a legal fight plays out over the state's law on bathroom use by transgender people.
- Schools threaten to report parents over lunch money debts Updated: May-12-16 3:31 pm
ENGLEWOOD, New Jersey - School officials have threatened to report parents whose children ate without paying at a New Jersey school district's cafeterias after students racked up a $100,000 tab that hasn't been paid.
- Democrats' paid leave proposal passes on Senate vote Updated: May-11-16 5:48 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota's Senate passed a bill that would extend 12 weeks of paid leave to new parents and sick workers, a top priority for Democrats this year that faces slim odds of becoming law due to Republican resistance.
- Breastfeeding pilots' claims against airline seen as advance Updated: May-11-16 4:34 am
DENVER - Charges by four female pilots that Frontier Airlines' policies for pregnant women and new mothers are discriminatory could be seen as progress, an advocate says.
- Paid parental leave but no union for Columbia grad students Updated: May-10-16 4:58 pm
NEW YORK - Graduate students who teach and conduct research at Columbia University will get paid parental leave and child-care subsidies starting next fall.
- Magazine for tween girls apologizes amid swimsuit backlash Updated: May-10-16 4:43 pm
NEW YORK - The publisher of a magazine aimed at tween girls apologized Tuesday for offering adult-like tips on choosing bathing suits based on size and curves, unleashing a body shaming backlash.
- Study: Sanders' economic plan piles $18T on federal debt Updated: May-09-16 2:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Sen. Bernie Sanders' tax and spending proposals would provide new levels of health and education benefits for American families, but they'd also blow an $18-trillion hole in federal deficits, piling on so much debt they would damage the economy.
- Facebook's No. 2 exec pays tribute to single mothers Updated: May-08-16 3:37 pm
MENLO PARK, California - Facebook's No. 2 executive Sheryl Sandberg says she never realized how hard it is to be a single parent until her husband died a year ago.
- Lice in Florida schools is a touchy subject Updated: May-08-16 3:01 am
MELBOURNE, Florida - Jessica Holloman had no clue what awaited her when she spied lice crawling on her daughter's scalp last year.
- How single mothers juggle kids, getting college degrees Updated: May-07-16 11:10 am
MAYS LANDING, New Jersey - When the Showboat Casino Hotel closed in 2014, Tasha Devonish lost her job as front services supervisor. Looking back, she sees it as a blessing in disguise.
- Baby box programs spread to US, encourage safe sleeping Updated: May-06-16 2:46 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Doctors in Philadelphia hope to lower the city's high infant mortality rate by distributing baby boxes that encourage safe sleeping.
- Louie Anderson pays tribute to his late mom with TV role Updated: May-06-16 1:50 pm
LOS ANGELES - Louie Anderson isn't a mom, but playing one on TV has given him a new appreciation of motherhood.