- The Latest: G-7 leaders sit down for talks on world economy Updated: May-26-16 1:31 am
ISE, Japan - The latest news on the Group of Seven summit in Japan, where the leaders of the seven advanced economies are meeting for two days (all times local):
- G-7 in sync with Japanese Prime Minister Abe's own agenda Updated: May-26-16 1:06 am
ISE, Japan - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and fellow leaders of the Group of Seven advanced economies began their summit Thursday by visiting Ise Shrine, the most hallowed site for Japan's indigenous Shinto religion - one of many aspects of the gathering that dovetail with Abe's long-term diplomatic and political agenda.
- Cuomo: NY must act to combat heroin Updated: May-26-16 12:35 am
NEW YORK - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is vowing to enact the nation's "best" plan to fight heroin and opioid abuse.
- Electric Boat to partner with Rhode Island schools Updated: May-26-16 12:31 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - U.S. Navy contractor Electric Boat is partnering with Rhode Island schools to help train about 350 students a year for marine industry careers.
- House reverses course on LGBT rights for federal contractors Updated: May-26-16 12:00 am
WASHINGTON - The House reversed itself late Wednesday and approved a measure aimed at upholding an executive order that bars discrimination against LGBT employees by federal contractors.
- Challenge to 2012 Georgia 20-week abortion ban revived Updated: May-25-16 11:51 pm
ATLANTA - A 2012 Georgia law banning abortions after 20 weeks quietly took effect nearly six months ago with no fanfare or resistance - until lawyers for three obstetricians who had challenged the measure realized what had happened.
- Medical marijuana legalization sent to Ohio governor Updated: May-25-16 11:11 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A medical marijuana legalization bill has been sent to Ohio Gov. John Kasich in an effort by state lawmakers to offset support for a proposed fall ballot measure.
- Medical marijuana OK'd by Ohio lawmakers in pre-break flurry Updated: May-25-16 11:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio lawmakers sent a medical marijuana legalization bill to the governor Wednesday on divided votes, in action capping a final flurry of activity ahead of their summer break.
- The Latest: Bill on voting hours heads to Ohio governor Updated: May-25-16 11:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on legislative activity at the Ohio Statehouse as lawmakers seek to wrap up work before their summer break (all times local):
- Central Indiana county approves livestock farm restrictions Updated: May-25-16 10:50 pm
COLUMBUS, Indiana - A central Indiana county has approved new restrictions on big livestock farms limiting where those farms with hundreds or thousands of animals can be built.
- Cook County programs gives youth summer forest preserve jobs Updated: May-25-16 10:48 pm
CHICAGO - More than 100 young people will get the chance to earn money and experience the outdoors through a summer jobs program in Cook County's forest preserves.
- California campsite trashed after fraternity, sorority trip Updated: May-25-16 10:43 pm
REDDING, California - A campsite that offers a serene getaway by a California lake was wrecked after about a thousand fraternity and sorority members left a half-mile-wide swath of trash, empty bottles, tents and coolers after an annual trip.
- The Latest: University investigating mess at California lake Updated: May-25-16 10:39 pm
REDDING, California - The Latest on trash left behind at a California lake after an annual trip by fraternity and sorority members (all times local):
- The Weeknd, Belly cancel Kimmel performance because of Trump Updated: May-25-16 10:27 pm
NEW YORK - R&B singer The Weeknd and rapper Belly have canceled their performance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" because Donald Trump was set to appear on the episode.
- Brees 'not stressing' about a lack of an extension Updated: May-25-16 10:26 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Saints star quarterback Drew Brees says he's "not stressing" about a recent lack of progress on a possible contract extension with New Orleans and said he'll approach this season the same way whether he gets a new deal or not.
- Lawmaker shelves Declaration of Independence in schools bill Updated: May-25-16 9:53 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A Denham Springs lawmaker shelved her bill requiring Louisiana public school students to recite the Declaration of Independence daily, under pressure from her African-American colleagues.
- Illinois House Democrats defy governor, push own budget Updated: May-25-16 9:50 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Amid howls of protest from Republicans, the Democratic-led Illinois House passed a spending plan for next year Wednesday without considering any of the pro-business legislation GOP Gov. Bruce Rauner wants as part of a deal to end an historic budget stalemate.
- India vows swift justice after African student killed Updated: May-25-16 9:50 pm
NEW DELHI - India promised swift punishment after a student from Congo was fatally attacked last week in New Delhi, following a demand by several African missions that the government take steps to ensure the safety of Africans living in India.
- 1 tough shell: Michigan turtle still around - at age 83 Updated: May-25-16 9:37 pm
PINCKNEY, Michigan - There were high-fives and a celebratory bottle of wine. Why? Researchers found an 83-year-old turtle.
- Ex-Auburn baseball coach sues seeking $1 million buyout Updated: May-25-16 9:22 pm
AUBURN, Alabama - Former Auburn baseball coach Sunny Golloway has filed suit in federal court seeking payment of his $1 million buyout.
- Church slaying families accept pursuit of death penalty Updated: May-25-16 8:29 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The husband of a woman gunned down at a historic black church in Charleston with eight other people said Wednesday he won't be at peace until the man charged in the slayings is put to death.
- Supreme Court rejects Chicago State's lawsuit appeal Updated: May-25-16 8:24 pm
CHICAGO - The Illinois Supreme Court has denied Chicago State University's appeal of the awarding of more than $3 million to a former administrator in a whistleblower case.
- Hawaiian Airlines pilots picket, say contract talks slowed Updated: May-25-16 8:21 pm
HONOLULU - Dozens of Hawaiian Airlines pilots picketed Wednesday for a new collective bargaining agreement a week after voting to allow union representatives to call for a strike if necessary.
- District accused of demoting employee for maternity leave Updated: May-25-16 8:11 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - Federal officials are suing a South Florida school district, claiming an assistant principal was demoted for taking maternity leave.
- Authorities: Unruly group instigated violence at Trump rally Updated: May-25-16 8:05 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A day after a riot erupted outside a Donald Trump rally, Albuquerque officials blamed the downtown melee not on impassioned politics but on an unruly group intent on creating chaos in a city that has seen more than its share of violence.