- Modern theft of vintage gun revives 1927 Sultan murder tale Updated: Feb-06-16 2:05 am
SULTAN, Washington - It was dark when the lone figure heaved a large rock through the glass front door of Sultan's Visitor Information Center.
- Myrtle Point BotCat robotics team roars into competition Updated: Feb-06-16 2:05 am
MYRTLE POINT, Oregon - The classroom of Myrtle Point High School math teacher Joshua Hebebrand is buzzing with activity. The BotCats are getting ready to roll; they have just two weeks to prepare for a qualifying tournament in Hillsboro, which will determine whether they will then go on to the statewide tournament in Portland. Not bad for a first-year team.
- Dunn Center library shuttering; books to be donated Updated: Feb-06-16 2:05 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The Dunn Center Public Library is closing due to lack of use.
- Alleyne ties Oregon record in 73-48 win over WSU women Updated: Feb-06-16 12:56 am
PULLMAN, Washington - Jillian Alleyne had 25 points on 10-of-13 shooting and 14 rebounds to tie the school record with her 88th career double-double and Oregon used a dominating start to defeat Washington State 73-48 on Friday night.
- Michael B. Jordan wins big at NAACP Image Awards Updated: Feb-06-16 12:35 am
LOS ANGELES - It was a total knockout for Michael B. Jordan at the NAACP Image Awards in a ceremony that took several jabs at Hollywood for the lack of racial diversity.
- Johnny Manziel's father worried quarterback self-destructing Updated: Feb-06-16 12:12 am
CLEVELAND - With Johnny Manziel's professional career in doubt and his personal life crumbling, his father fears for the troubled quarterback's safety.
- Firebrand monks a powerful force in Myanmar despite setback Updated: Feb-06-16 12:10 am
WASHINGTON - Dark-skinned and bearded men jump a young woman after she prays at a Buddhist shrine. They push her to the ground and rape her. Then they cut off her ear and slit her throat.
- The Latest: Browns owner reached out Manziel, no response Updated: Feb-05-16 11:59 pm
CLEVELAND - The Latest on troubled quarterback Johnny Manziel (all times local):
- Top UN human rights official arrives in Sri Lanka Updated: Feb-05-16 11:27 pm
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The top U.N. human rights official has arrived in Sri Lanka on a four-day visit aimed at reviewing the measures taken by the island-nation to investigate alleged atrocities committed during the long civil war that left tens of thousands dead.
- In Brazil, pregnant women urged to be cautious with a kiss Updated: Feb-05-16 11:26 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - In a sign of mounting global concern over the Zika virus, health officials on Friday warned pregnant women to think twice about the lips they kiss and called on men to use condoms with pregnant partners if they have visited countries where the virus is present.
- Woody Harrelson applies for Hawaii marijuana dispensary Updated: Feb-05-16 10:21 pm
HONOLULU - Actor and marijuana advocate Woody Harrelson was one of nearly 60 applicants to apply to open one of Hawaii's first medical marijuana dispensaries.
- The Latest: Clinton makes pitch to young NH voters Updated: Feb-05-16 10:20 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - The Latest from the 2016 campaign trail with days to go until the New Hampshire primary (all times local):
- Judges strike down 2 North Carolina congressional districts Updated: Feb-05-16 9:51 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Federal judges struck down late Friday two majority black congressional districts in North Carolina, saying race was the predominant factor in drawing those lines but state legislators lacked justification in using that practice.
- Federal judge issues temporary freeze on new election law Updated: Feb-05-16 9:35 pm
LANSING, Michigan - A federal court judge put a temporary freeze Friday on a new Michigan election law that critics say amounts to a "gag order," and urged lawmakers to clarify the issue quickly.
- State moving inmates from regional jails to save money Updated: Feb-05-16 9:25 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Budget problems are forcing the Mississippi Department of Corrections to cut the state inmate population at county regional jails.
- Minimum wage hike gains momentum in Legislature Updated: Feb-05-16 9:11 pm
SALEM, Oregon - The minimum wage debate gained momentum at the Legislature on Friday when a handful of senators narrowly favored a newly proposed bill to raise wages in a three-tiered approached aimed at pleasing Oregon's wide spectrum of urban and rural areas.
- During Utah funeral, Oregon refuge occupier hailed as a hero Updated: Feb-05-16 8:53 pm
KANAB, Utah - Inside a packed Mormon church in this desert town Friday, a leader of the Oregon armed standoff who died in a confrontation with authorities was called a man of conviction and not a threat to the law enforcement officers who shot him.
- The Latest: State lawmakers to appeal ruling on districts Updated: Feb-05-16 8:29 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on a panel of federal judges striking two congressional districts in North Carolina (all times local):
- Utah legislators back plan to declare pornography a health crisis Updated: Feb-05-16 8:29 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A state senator in Utah wants to declare pornography a public health crisis, echoing an argument being made around the U.S. by conservative religious groups as pornography becomes more accessible on smartphones and tablets.
- Oklahoma City high school wrestler charged with sex crime Updated: Feb-05-16 8:11 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - An athlete at an Oklahoma City high school was charged this week with a sex crime after police say an act the boy described as a wrestling maneuver was obscene groping.
- The Latest: 6-year-old hit by falling tree limb dies Updated: Feb-05-16 8:10 pm
BOSTON - The Latest on a winter storm that dropped more than a foot of snow on some areas of the Northeast (all times local):
- New Mexico REAL ID bipartisan compromise passes 2nd test Updated: Feb-05-16 8:04 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Following an emotional meeting where senators revealed they were getting racist emails, a second Senate committee passed Friday a bipartisan proposal aimed at making New Mexico compliant under the federal REAL ID Act.
- Dallas students vote to remove Confederate school name Updated: Feb-05-16 8:02 pm
DALLAS - Students at a Dallas middle school have voted to strip their campus of the name of a Confederate general.
- College athletes volunteer to help Flint amid water crisis Updated: Feb-05-16 7:37 pm
FLINT, Michigan - College athletes are among those volunteering to help Flint amid the city's crisis with lead-tainted drinking water.
- Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, 6th man on moon, dies in Florida Updated: Feb-05-16 7:35 pm
MIAMI - Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who became the sixth man on the moon when he and Alan Shepard helped NASA recover from Apollo 13's "successful failure" and later devoted his life to exploring physics, the mind, and unexplained phenomena such as psychics and aliens, has died in Florida. He was 85.