- The Latest: Park opening delayed due to snow Updated: May-27-16 4:23 pm
DENVER - The Latest on severe weather in Colorado (all times local):
- Couple's killings are latest blow to town rocked by mudslide Updated: May-27-16 4:19 pm
OSO, Washington - In a clearing 10 miles up a gravel logging road, freshly cut hemlock branches cover the root well of a wind-toppled fir. Atop the boughs, a bouquet of red, white and blue carnations left by detectives marks the grim discovery they made here: the shallow grave of a local couple shot to death six weeks ago, apparently in a feud with a former neighbor who remains at large.
- The Latest: Busier Atlantic hurricane season predicted Updated: May-27-16 1:38 pm
MIAMI - The Latest on U.S. government forecasters' outlook for the Atlantic hurricane season (all times local):
- Warning issued for Mesa County landslide area Updated: May-27-16 12:56 pm
COLLBRAN, Colorado - Mesa County emergency management officials are warning people who live near a massive landslide area in the eastern part of the county to be ready to evacuate after water from spring runoff began overflowing from a pond.
- After Kansas tornado, residents "lucky to be alive." Updated: May-27-16 9:57 am
CHAPMAN, Kansas - Residents in northern Kansas have been cleaning up the damage from an EF4 tornado that ripped through the rural area this week.
- Effort to recruit more women to fight wildfires is working Updated: May-27-16 2:02 am
SALT LAKE CITY - When Megan Saylors heard a speaker at her high school describe wildland firefighting, it didn't sound like a job she wanted to pursue.
- Feds: 2016 hurricane season in Pacific will be about average Updated: May-26-16 7:28 pm
HONOLULU - After a record-setting hurricane season fueled by a strong El Nino in 2015, federal forecasters said Thursday the 2016 central Pacific hurricane season will likely be only slightly above average as La Nina conditions take over.
- More severe weather and tornadoes roil Plains; no injuries Updated: May-26-16 7:12 pm
CHAPMAN, Kansas - Severe weather spawning numerous tornadoes roiled large stretches of Kansas for a second day Thursday, prompting residents to anxiously watch the skies but causing only scattered damage in rural areas and no injuries or deaths.
- The Latest: Tornado strikes Texas prison Updated: May-26-16 6:55 pm
CHAPMAN, Kansas - The Latest on severe weather in the Plains (all times local):
- Mudslide slogs travel on key route in Glacier National Park Updated: May-26-16 6:01 pm
WEST GLACIER, Montana - For tourists trying to get to some sights in Glacier National Park, it's been a dam inconvenience.
- Feds say 2016 hurricane season in Pacific will be average Updated: May-26-16 5:46 pm
HONOLULU - After a record-setting hurricane season fueled by El Nino in 2015, federal forecasters say the 2016 Pacific hurricane season will likely be only slightly above average as La Nina conditions take over.
- Assistance approved for 5 Oklahoma counties hit by storms Updated: May-26-16 5:15 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Federal disaster assistance has been approved for five Oklahoma counties hit by severe storms, tornadoes and flooding earlier this month.
- Flash flooding, tornado warnings for southeast Nebraska Updated: May-26-16 5:03 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The National Weather Service has issued flash flooding and tornado warnings in southeastern Nebraska.
- Portland map shows buildings that may not survive earthquake Updated: May-26-16 1:47 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - The city of Portland has released a map and database showing about 1,800 unreinforced masonry buildings that may be vulnerable to shaking during an earthquake if they are not structurally retrofitted.
- Colome man survives severe storm inside iron gun case Updated: May-26-16 12:35 pm
COLOME, South Dakota - As the winds toppled his semitrailer and destroyed his barn, the only thing protecting Rick Petersek from flying debris was an iron box.
- 40 Oregon firefighters leave to fight giant blaze in Canada Updated: May-26-16 3:22 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Forty firefighters from central Oregon have been sent to help battle a wildfire in Canada that has destroyed parts of Fort McMurray in Alberta.
- 1st US firefighters head to Canada to help attack huge blaze Updated: May-25-16 4:42 pm
BOISE, Idaho - For the first time, U.S. officials have sent firefighters to help battle a giant blaze in Canada that has destroyed parts of Fort McMurray in Alberta.
- Northern Iowa town reflects on destructive 2008 tornado Updated: May-25-16 4:27 pm
PARKERSBURG, Iowa - It's been eight years since a massive tornado destroyed nearly 300 homes and killed nine people in the northern Iowa city of Parkersburg, and city leaders say the town's revival is a model for other cities recovering from natural disasters.
- Florida editorial roundup Updated: May-25-16 2:04 pm
Recent editorials from Florida newspapers:
- Bank of Canada: Economy will shrink due to Alberta wildfires Updated: May-25-16 1:02 pm
TORONTO - Canada's central bank said Wednesday the Canadian economy will shrink in the second quarter because of Alberta's devastating wildfires, which shut down its oil sands production.
- Suspect leads police to bodies of Washington state couple Updated: May-25-16 10:47 am
EVERETT, Washington - For six weeks, authorities said a missing Washington state couple had been killed. Two brothers who fled to Mexico were charged with their slayings.
- New storm surge maps coming for Outer Banks this summer Updated: May-25-16 10:13 am
NAGS HEAD, North Carolina - New storm surge maps for the Outer Banks of North Carolina will be available this summer.
- Water main break creates sinkhole along Florence's Arno Updated: May-25-16 6:31 am
FLORENCE, Italy - An underground water main break along Florence's picturesque Arno River has created a 200-meter (yard) -long sinkhole that buried dozens of parked cars.
- Magnitude 5.5 quake off Crete, no damage, injuries reported Updated: May-25-16 6:11 am
ATHENS, Greece - Greek authorities say a strong earthquake with preliminary magnitude 5.5 has occurred off the southern island of Crete, but no damage or injuries have been reported.
- 2 tornadoes damage trees in Michigan's Upper Peninsula Updated: May-25-16 5:28 am
REPUBLIC, Michigan - Officials say two tornadoes damaged trees as severe storms moved across Michigan's Upper Peninsula.