- Houston police announce high-tech crime mapping tools Updated: Feb-05-16 12:17 pm
HOUSTON - Houston police are using online technology to make it easier for concerned citizens to track reported crimes in their neighborhoods.
- FCC chair to discuss broadband opportunities in eastern Ky. Updated: Feb-05-16 4:35 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The head of the Federal Communications Commission plans to travel to eastern Kentucky to discuss broadband-based economic opportunities.
- After disclosing player information, USSF moves to seal suit Updated: Feb-04-16 9:01 pm
The U.S. Soccer Federation's original lawsuit against the union for its champion women's national team has been sealed after the governing body realized it had disclosed the home addresses and email accounts of many players.
- Skvarla pitches broadband, crowdfunding, venture capital Updated: Feb-04-16 6:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's commerce secretary says rural and small-town economies won't grow without access to high-speed Internet.
- State IG: Classified email found from Powell, Rice tenures Updated: Feb-04-16 6:34 pm
WASHINGTON - Former Secretary of State Colin Powell and the immediate staff of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice also received classified national security information on their personal email accounts, according to a memo written by the State Department watchdog that was released Thursday.
- Officials warned of water, Legionnaires' link Updated: Feb-04-16 2:15 pm
LANSING, Michigan - High-ranking officials in Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder's administration were aware of a surge in Legionnaires' disease potentially linked to Flint's water long before the governor reported the increase to the public last month, internal emails show.
- Bill would help expand broadband in rural Maine Updated: Feb-04-16 5:05 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - A proposal in the Maine Legislature would send $1 million to the state agency that oversees the expansion of broadband.
- Cisco to buy Jasper in move into 'Internet of Things' Updated: Feb-03-16 7:54 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Cisco Systems Inc. is buying Jasper Technologies for $1.4 billion in cash in a move to help its customers connect, automate and manage billions of Internet-connected devices ranging from cars to jet engines to implanted pacemakers.
- Rural broadband supporters call for change in Tennessee law Updated: Feb-03-16 7:30 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Rural lawmakers on Wednesday compared the dearth of broadband connections in their areas to being bypassed by electrification more than 80 years ago.
- Comcast loses fewest TV customers in 8 years Updated: Feb-03-16 2:23 pm
NEW YORK - Comcast is trumpeting its best year for traditional TV services in nearly a decade, even though it continues to lose TV subscribers.
- Text of Alabama governor's State of the State speech Updated: Feb-02-16 7:31 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The following is the text of Alabama Governor Robert Bentley's 2016 State of the State speech prepared for delivery Tuesday night:
- Bradley's footage winds up in an outside group's ad Updated: Feb-02-16 6:38 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - An outside group posted an online campaign ad Tuesday using footage prepared by state Supreme Court Justice Rebecca Bradley, raising questions about whether Bradley has broken her pledge not to coordinate with such groups even though it's legal.
- Bill would allow custodian to take over online accounts Updated: Feb-02-16 1:00 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Floridians could designate a custodian to access and manage their social media, email and online financial accounts when they die or become incapacitated, under a bill moving through the state legislature.
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: Feb-01-16 9:05 am
The Des Moines Register. Jan. 28, 2016
- Funding issues plague Kentucky's proposed high speed network Updated: Jan-28-16 6:09 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - KentuckyWired was supposed to be a can't-miss project, a high-tech solution that would help revive the floundering Appalachian economy.
- Amazon net income doubles, but its results still fall short Updated: Jan-28-16 5:57 pm
SEATTLE - Amazon saw its results for the holiday quarter as a present wrapped in a bow. But analysts and investors saw something more like a lump of coal.
- Indonesian telecom provider blocks access to Netflix Updated: Jan-28-16 5:46 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesia's state-owned telecommunications company said it has blocked the Internet video service Netflix in a possible setback to the U.S. company's expansion in Asia.
- Cable-industry disruptor is back with new Internet service Updated: Jan-27-16 6:01 pm
NEW YORK - Cable's pricey Internet packages may get some competition from the founder of Aereo, whose first attempt to shake up the cable industry was quashed by the Supreme Court.
- Mumbai travelers log on as Google starts train station Wi-Fi Updated: Jan-22-16 8:24 am
MUMBAI, India - Google Inc. has begun offering free Wi-Fi to Mumbai train passengers in hopes of boosting its role in the Indian market.
- The Latest: MLB to offer one-team online TV packages for $85 Updated: Jan-19-16 2:15 pm
NEW YORK - The latest on the settlement of a lawsuit over Major League Baseball's online TV packages (all times local):
- Democrats talk agenda ahead of Scott Walker's State of State Updated: Jan-18-16 4:43 pm
MILWAUKEE - Democratic legislative leaders said Monday that they want to hear bold plans from Gov. Scott Walker on strengthening the middle class and improving the state's infrastructure during his upcoming State of the State address.
- Netflix chief says 2016 will bring emphasis on family shows Updated: Jan-17-16 3:42 pm
PASADENA, California - Netflix says it will make a special effort to produce programming for children and families, with the streaming service offering 20 new programs in the category this year led by the Feb. 26 premiere of the "Fuller House" remake.
- Legislative budget writers OK funding for broadband lawsuit Updated: Jan-15-16 1:39 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Legislative budget writers have approved $229,000 in spending to cover the latest round of legal fees in Idaho's appeal over a voided school broadband contract.
- Appeals court troubled over official's private email account Updated: Jan-14-16 4:46 pm
WASHINGTON - A federal appeals panel seems likely to rule that work-related emails on a private account used by the White House's top science adviser are subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
- Wikipedia gets another source of cash for 15th birthday Updated: Jan-14-16 3:20 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Wikipedia is getting another source of cash for its 15th birthday, expanding beyond fundraising drives that have already poured $250 million into the Internet's leading encyclopedia.