- The Latest: FBI chief says encryption blocks investigations Updated: Feb-09-16 5:52 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the worldwide threat assessment from U.S. intelligence agencies (all times local):
- UK lawmakers say proposed spy law fails to protect privacy Updated: Feb-09-16 7:26 am
LONDON - British government plans to strengthen spies' powers to snoop on the Internet are muddled and don't do enough to protect privacy, lawmakers responsible for scrutinizing the country's intelligence agencies said Tuesday.
- Twitter and Facebook are big market movers Updated: Feb-08-16 6:12 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks that moved substantially Monday on the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq stock market:
- The Latest: Eli Manning outshone many ads on social media Updated: Feb-07-16 11:05 pm
NEW YORK - The latest developments in Super Bowl commercials before, during and after the Big Game:
- Corrections secretary resigns amid early release controversy Updated: Feb-06-16 10:52 pm
SEATTLE - Washington state Corrections Secretary Dan Pacholke resigned on Saturday amid a controversy over the early release of prisoners, telling a Republican senator he hoped his departure would satisfy the "need for blood."
- Super Bowl ads this year might be a snooze Updated: Feb-03-16 1:24 am
NEW YORK - No GoDaddy. Not a bikini in sight. Service messages instead of crotch or fart jokes. As the Super Bowl turns 50 and faces middle age, will this be the year that advertisers stick to - gasp - good taste?
- Yahoo to cut 1,700 workers as CEO tries to save her own job Updated: Feb-02-16 10:20 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Yahoo is laying off about 1,700 employees and shedding some of its excess baggage in a shake-up likely to determine whether CEO Marissa Mayer can save her own job.
- US to rework arms control rule on exporting hacker tools Updated: Feb-02-16 2:19 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. government is rewriting a proposal under arms control rules from 20 years ago to make it simpler to export tools related to hacking and surveillance software since they are also used to secure computer networks.
- Alphabet comes before Apple as world's most valuable company Updated: Feb-02-16 10:30 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Alphabet now comes before Apple atop the list of the world's most valuable companies.
- Nintendo's quarterly profit slips 36 percent on lower sales Updated: Feb-02-16 9:14 am
TOKYO - Nintendo Co. reported a 36 percent drop in quarterly profit on Tuesday after lackluster video game sales for the year-end holiday shopping season.
- Analytics software maker SAS puts 2015 revenue at near $3.2B Updated: Feb-02-16 4:35 am
CARY, North Carolina - One of the world's largest privately owned software companies says for the 40th straight year it's pulled in more money than the year before.
- Google parent Alphabet may soon top Apple's market value Updated: Jan-29-16 3:16 am
SAN FRANCISCO - As the digital advertising market booms and demand for smartphones wanes, Alphabet Inc. could soon dethrone Apple as the world's most valuable company.
- Microsoft earnings show effects of turnaround strategy Updated: Jan-28-16 7:05 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Like a friendly but persistent sales rep, Microsoft has a message for anyone who owns a personal computer: If you haven't yet upgraded to Windows 10, the company highly recommends it.
- Celebrities are going to be huge in Super Bowl ads Updated: Jan-28-16 11:23 am
NEW YORK - The Big Game is more than a week away, but Super Bowl advertisers are already out in force online, playing up celebrity cameos to drive buzz for their brands.
- Top 10 celebrity Super Bowl ad teasers Updated: Jan-28-16 9:39 am
NEW YORK - The Super Bowl is a little more than a week away, but advertisers are going strong online, offering up celebrity laden teasers well ahead of the game. Teasers are one way Super Bowl advertisers can build buzz without revealing their full Super Bowl ads too far in advance. Here's a look at the top celebrity teasers so far.
- Facebook posts strong 4Q as company closes gap with Google Updated: Jan-27-16 7:25 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Facebook is growing at an exceptional pace as it enters adolescence, propelling it into a better position to challenge Google as the Internet's most powerful company.
- Apple's iPhone is slumping. What's next? Updated: Jan-27-16 4:54 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The bloom may be off Apple's iPhone, at least for now. So now the pressure is on the iconic Silicon Valley company to come up with its next big thing.
- After setting iPhone record, Apple forecasts rare sales drop Updated: Jan-26-16 7:12 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple is bracing for its first sales decline in 13 years, despite selling a record 74.8 million iPhones in the final three months of 2015, in what may prove to be a turning point for the world's most valuable company.
- Apple tops 1Q profit forecasts Updated: Jan-26-16 4:39 pm
CUPERTINO, California _ Apple Inc. (AAPL) on Tuesday reported fiscal first-quarter earnings of $18.36 billion.
- IBM beats profit forecasts as revenue falls Updated: Jan-19-16 4:57 pm
ARMONK, New York - IBM Corp. reported another drop in revenue Tuesday, although its fourth-quarter earnings were slightly better than Wall Street expected.
- Buyer beware: Solar power may be missing key ingredient Updated: Jan-17-16 11:32 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Want to cut reliance on your fossil-fuel-burning utility, but don't have space for solar panels? Easy, the sales pitch goes, buy a share in the new "community solar array" being built on the outskirts of town.
- Holiday sales report shows challenge for 2016 Updated: Jan-15-16 3:37 pm
NEW YORK - Holiday shoppers flocked online during the critical holiday shopping season, but overall sales in November and December were disappointing.
- Intel stock sags despite beating Wall Street 4Q forecasts Updated: Jan-14-16 4:52 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Intel posted a fourth-quarter earnings report that was slightly better than Wall Street forecasts, but its stock still fell in late trading Thursday amid signs of a continued slump in the personal computer business.
- Nevada inks contract to get laptops to middle schoolers Updated: Jan-13-16 6:54 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada's hammered out a contract with an Oregon computer manufacturer to get laptops in the hands of thousands of middle schoolers.
- Apple defies industry trend as PC sales fall again Updated: Jan-12-16 6:53 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple keeps defying a PC industry trend: While other major computer-makers saw shipments fall in 2015, Apple increased the number of Macs it shipped worldwide last year, according to estimates from two research firms on Tuesday.