- Washington project ensures forest stores carbon for decades Updated: Nov-24-15 5:55 pm
SEATTLE - Half a small forest still standing near Mount Rainier faced clear-cutting before an effort in Washington state saved the decades-old trees and allowed Microsoft to help finance the project to offset its carbon footprint.
- HP's last earnings report shows decline Updated: Nov-24-15 5:53 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Hewlett-Packard went out with a whimper Tuesday, as the venerable computer-maker issued its final quarterly earnings report as a unified tech conglomerate, showing another drop in sales for most of its business divisions.
- Starboard urges Yahoo to keep Alibaba, sell core business Updated: Nov-19-15 5:23 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Activist investor Starboard Value is urging Yahoo to scrap a planned spinoff of its lucrative stake in Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba and sell its own Internet business instead.
- Intel rises following revenue forecast, dividend boost Updated: Nov-19-15 4:19 pm
NEW YORK - Intel stock climbed Thursday after the chipmaker said it expects its revenue to grow again next year and raised its quarterly dividend.
- As Facebook grows, expect to see more ads on Instagram Updated: Nov-04-15 7:09 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - If you're starting to notice more ads on Instagram, it's all part of Facebook's plan.
- Vermont computer chip plant gets $55M capital investment Updated: Nov-04-15 2:49 pm
ESSEX JUNCTION, Vermont - Officials say the Vermont computer chip manufacturing plant now owned by GlobalFoundries has received a $55 million capital infusion that is increasing plant output by 15 percent.
- Amazon opens its first bookstore as extension of website Updated: Nov-03-15 4:43 pm
SEATTLE - Online retail giant Amazon opened its first brick-and-mortar bookstore on Tuesday, two decades after it began selling books over the Internet and helped drive a number of shops out of business.
- Microsoft gets stingy with free online storage Updated: Nov-03-15 2:20 pm
NEW YORK - Microsoft is getting stingy with online storage.
- Facebook wants to tap robot brains to do your bidding Updated: Nov-03-15 7:01 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Facebook is studying the ancient Chinese game of Go for insights as it works on building an artificial brain - one that it hopes to turn into a virtual personal assistant that can also sort through a mountain of photos, videos and comments posted by its next billion or so users.
- Gateway Inc. co-founder Mike Hammond dies at age 53 Updated: Nov-02-15 2:49 pm
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - Mike Hammond, who co-founded computer maker Gateway in an Iowa farmhouse in 1985 and helped turn it into an American success story by shipping PCs straight to customers in boxes with a spotted-cow design, has died at age 53.
- HP, a Silicon Valley icon, is ready for its break-up Updated: Oct-30-15 1:21 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - One of the nation's most storied tech companies will split in two this weekend, another casualty of seismic shifts in the way people use technology - and big-company sluggishness in responding.
- Sony returns to profit after marathon restructuring effort Updated: Oct-29-15 7:40 am
TOKYO - Sony Corp. returned to profit last quarter in a sign its marathon restructuring effort is beginning to produce results.
- Samsung profit rises on record earnings from semiconductors Updated: Oct-29-15 3:38 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Samsung Electronics Co. reported its first earnings growth in more than a year on Thursday as a record profit from computer chips masked a decline in its smartphone business.
- Review: Apple TV brings iPhone-like apps to the big screen Updated: Oct-28-15 9:44 pm
NEW YORK - It turns out that Apple's streaming-TV box - aptly named Apple TV - isn't just for streaming anymore. Its latest incarnation, which ships this week, offers on the big screen just about anything you could previously only do on an iPhone or iPad.