- Distracted driving tied to teen's death in western Michigan Updated: Aug-03-15 8:49 pm
GEORGETOWN TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A teenager has been killed in western Michigan in a multi-vehicle crash that's being blamed on a driver who was distracted by a sandwich and his GPS device.
- Connecticut police target drivers talking, texting on phones Updated: Aug-03-15 10:23 am
MIDDLETOWN, Connecticut - Police across Connecticut are launching another enforcement campaign targeting drivers who talk or text on their cellphones without using required hands-free devices.
- Company, FAA working on Gulfstream IV jet fail-safe problem Updated: Aug-01-15 7:34 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The manufacturer of the jet that crashed on takeoff in Massachusetts last year, killing the co-owner of The Philadelphia Inquirer and six other people, has reported a problem with a fail-safe system that can allow the planes to reach high speeds on the runway even if they are prevented from taking off.
- Runaway rail car kicked loose by teen hits New York station Updated: Jul-31-15 4:32 pm
UTICA, New York - Video surveillance footage released Friday shows a rail car that was accidentally set in motion by a 13-year-old boy ramming an antique locomotive into a train station, sending passengers waiting for a train scrambling for safety.
- Ohio crackdown on distracted driving yields 999 citations Updated: Jul-31-15 3:49 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A multi-state highway patrol crackdown on distracted driving yielded hundreds of citations for reckless or careless driving on Ohio roadways last week.
- Illinois sets record for seat belt usage in front seat Updated: Jul-30-15 12:22 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Usage of seat belts by drivers and front-seat passengers in Illinois has reached an all-time high.
- US official: Plane debris in Indian Ocean same type as MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 12:37 am
WASHINGTON - Air safety investigators have a "high degree of confidence" that aircraft debris found in the Indian Ocean is of a wing component unique to the Boeing 777, the same model as the Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared last year, a U.S. official said Wednesday.
- Disguised metro Atlanta police crackdown on texting drivers Updated: Jul-29-15 7:50 pm
MARIETTA, Georgia - A metro Atlanta police department is using disguised officers to try catching drivers who are texting behind the wheel.
- SD authorities identify crash-prone areas near Sturgis rally Updated: Jul-29-15 2:44 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Authorities in western South Dakota have released a list of several crash-prone areas that motorists travel on in Pennington County during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
- AAA Mid-Atlantic concerned about Delaware road deaths Updated: Jul-29-15 4:49 am
DOVER, Delaware - AAA Mid-Atlantic says Delaware drivers need to slow down and pay better attention when behind the wheel.
- Police: Dallas airport security breach involved lovelorn man Updated: Jul-28-15 5:19 pm
GRAPEVINE, Texas - Police say a man blamed for a security breach at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport slipped onto a jet to try to stop his girlfriend from leaving.
- Kentucky state agencies promoting 'Move Over' law Updated: Jul-28-15 4:04 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Kentucky State Police and the state Office of Highway Safety are teaming up to promote safe driving behavior to protect people in emergency or public safety vehicles.
- ODOT, BWC focus on improving worker safety on Ohio roads Updated: Jul-27-15 4:08 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Department of Transportation and the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation are working together to improve worker safety on Ohio's roads.
- Ohio steps up patrols along US 127 for improved safety Updated: Jul-26-15 4:08 am
HAMILTON, Ohio - The Ohio State Highway Patrol is stepping up its presence along U.S. 127 to focus on seat belt use and impaired drivers as part of an effort to reduce crashes on the federal highway.
- Board agrees to eye safety of historic Angels Flight railway Updated: Jul-24-15 5:04 pm
LOS ANGELES - The historic Angels Flight railway connecting two downtown Los Angeles districts is getting another look by transportation officials who have agreed to study possible ways for the now-shuttered trains to reopen.
- Manchin, acting US rail administrator to lead W.Va. talk Updated: Jul-24-15 3:13 am
STANDARD, West Virginia - Sen. Joe Manchin and the acting administrator of the Federal Railroad Administration will meet with state and local officials to discuss rail safety.
- Report: Speed caused 27 percent of La. traffic death in 2013 Updated: Jul-22-15 11:17 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A new report finds speeding was a factor in at least 27 percent of Louisiana traffic fatalities in 2013.
- Feds eye safety at railroad after NYC train-truck collision Updated: Jul-21-15 12:53 pm
NEW YORK - Federal officials are scrutinizing a freight railroad's safety and management practices after a collision between a train and a tractor-trailer in New York City.
- James River boating safety checkpoint results in 15 arrests Updated: Jul-21-15 8:29 am
SURRY, Virginia - More than a dozen people face boating under the influence charges following an enforcement effort on the James River in Surry County.
- Kauai police crack down on drivers using cellphones Updated: Jul-20-15 2:40 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - Kauai police say they have issued 539 tickets to people using cellphones while driving, an offense that can come with a pricey $300 fine for first-time law-breakers.
- Autopsy set on passenger in crash after driver distracted Updated: Jul-20-15 8:31 am
ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - An autopsy was set on the body of a man found dead after the car he was riding in crashed in eastern Pennsylvania.
- Farmington police use software to stop distracted driving Updated: Jul-18-15 7:38 pm
FARMINGTON, New Mexico - Farmington police may be the first in New Mexico to crack down on distracted officers who try to use a patrol computer while driving.
- Officials in North, South Dakota caution drivers to be safe Updated: Jul-18-15 4:41 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Officials in North Dakota and South Dakota are cautioning drivers to be safe on the roads as both states have seen a high number of fatalities this summer already.
- Troopers from 6 states to target distracted driving Updated: Jul-18-15 3:08 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Troopers from six states are targeting distracted drivers in the latest of a series of highway enforcement efforts.
- Bus-safety mandates introduced after deadly California crash Updated: Jul-17-15 9:20 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California state lawmaker proposed sweeping bus-safety reforms Friday that were recommended by federal officials who investigated a fiery bus crash that killed five high school students on a tour last year.