- Correction: Mother-Daughter-Cocaine Smuggling story Updated: Feb-13-16 10:14 am
LAREDO, Texas - In a story Feb. 12 about a Texas mother and daughter being convicted of drug smuggling, The Associated Press erroneously reported that Feather Saldana and Shawna Johnson were caught trying to smuggle drugs into Mexico. They were caught trying to smuggle drugs from Mexico into the U.S.
- Ex-inmate in Dallas Jail-based drug ring gets 30 years Updated: Feb-13-16 10:09 am
DALLAS - A former Dallas County jail inmate who had a romantic relationship with a probation official has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for running a drug ring from his cell.
- Chief: Syracuse officer fatally shot woman carrying shotgun Updated: Feb-13-16 1:36 am
SYRACUSE, New York - Police in Syracuse say an officer fatally shot an armed woman after she refused to put down a sawed-off shotgun.
- Philadelphia lawyer indicted in drug trafficking ring Updated: Feb-12-16 8:20 pm
A Philadelphia defense attorney who has represented clients in high-profile crimes in Pennsylvania has been indicted in Maryland on charges of laundering money for a large drug-dealing organization, according to prosecutors and court documents.
- Truck inspection leads to 90 pounds of marijuana, arrest Updated: Feb-12-16 5:59 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A truck inspection in Lincoln led a state trooper to 90 pounds of marijuana and one arrest.
- Analyst says California governor undercounts crime savings Updated: Feb-12-16 3:08 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's nonpartisan legislative analyst says Gov. Jerry Brown is undercounting the savings from a voter-approved measure that cut penalties for drug and property crimes.
- Police: Boy, 3, severely burned when 1-pot meth lab explodes Updated: Feb-12-16 2:59 pm
ERIE, Pennsylvania - Police in Pennsylvania say a 3-year-old boy suffered serious burns when a one-pot methamphetamine lab exploded.
- Ex-soccer player Bent given 12-month suspended jail sentence Updated: Feb-12-16 1:18 pm
GUILDFORD, England - Former English Premier League player Marcus Bent was handed a 12-month suspended jail sentence on Friday for confronting two police officers with a meat cleaver and a kitchen knife while under the influence of cocaine.
- Police seize heroin, crack and guns from Springfield home Updated: Feb-12-16 11:43 am
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - Police seized more than 800 bags of heroin and about 70 grams of the drug in its raw form during a raid at a Springfield home.
- Bossier Parish father, son arrested on drug charge Updated: Feb-12-16 9:29 am
PRINCETON, Louisiana - Authorities say a Bossier Parish father and son have been arrested for production of methamphetamines at their home in Princeton.
- Western New York postal carrier admits to role in drug ring Updated: Feb-12-16 8:06 am
BUFFALO, New York - Federal prosecutors say a 26-year-old western New York postal carrier has pleaded guilty to her role in a drug distribution ring.
- Drug smuggling charge dropped against 92-year-old Sydney man Updated: Feb-11-16 9:27 pm
SYDNEY - Prosecutors dropped a charge against a 92-year-old retired surgeon on Friday that alleged he had smuggled 1 million Australian dollars ($700,000) in cocaine hidden on bars of soap into Sydney airport.
- Fallin's general counsel resigns amid execution inquiry Updated: Feb-11-16 9:11 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The general counsel for Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin resigned Thursday amid a grand jury investigation into how the wrong drug was delivered for the state's last two scheduled executions.
- Teens plead not guilty in Seattle homeless camp shooting Updated: Feb-11-16 9:08 pm
SEATTLE - Teenage brothers charged in a drug-related shooting that left two people dead and three wounded at a Seattle homeless camp have pleaded not guilty to murder charges.
- House committee advances bill to restrict civil forfeitures Updated: Feb-11-16 8:10 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A bill to require the state to secure a criminal conviction in order to forfeit property that authorities believe has been used in the illegal drug trade advanced in committee Thursday.
- Court makes it easier to arrest, convict drunk drivers Updated: Feb-11-16 6:44 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - In two unanimous decisions, the Tennessee Supreme Court ruled Thursday that police have the right to stop motorists if their vehicles cross roadway markings, even if briefly, essentially making it easier to arrest and convict people driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Feds: Leader of New Jersey gang Grape Street Crips indicted Updated: Feb-11-16 5:46 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - The leader of one of New Jersey's most violent street gangs ordered murders of people thought to have cooperated with law enforcement and ran an operation that engaged in racketeering, extortion, robbery and drug trafficking, a federal indictment unsealed Thursday alleged.
- Kansas City gang member sentenced to 30 years for drugs, gun Updated: Feb-11-16 5:37 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A 35-year-old Crips street gang member has been sentenced to 30 years in federal prison for illegally possessing a controlled substance and firearms, but prosecutors say evidence indicates he's also responsible for killing five people.
- Feds accuse prison guards of taking bribes, drug trafficking Updated: Feb-11-16 4:59 pm
ATLANTA - Dozens of Georgia prison guards agreed to protect drug smuggling operations for a high-level trafficker, believing their status as correctional officers would protect them from a vehicle search if they were stopped by police, authorities said Thursday. In exchange, they received thousands of dollars in bribes.
- Operator of 'sober' housing arrested on gun, drug charges Updated: Feb-11-16 4:43 pm
SEATTLE - The operator of a "clean and sober" housing facility in Everett has been arrested for investigation of gun and drug charges.
- Ireland slams threats to reporters covering Dublin gang war Updated: Feb-11-16 4:23 pm
DUBLIN - Two reporters covering the Dublin gang war have received death threats from criminals because of their work, but they won't be deterred from exposing Ireland's underworld, the country's largest newspaper group said Thursday.
- Sentencing hearing delayed for 80-year-old marijuana dealer Updated: Feb-11-16 4:10 pm
BOSTON - A federal judge in Massachusetts has delayed the sentencing of an 80-year-old man who admitted running a sprawling multistate marijuana-dealing operation.
- Troopers cracking down on drug-related driving offenses Updated: Feb-11-16 12:45 pm
DENVER - The Colorado State Patrol says the number of citations related to marijuana dropped by more than 1 percent last year as compared with the year before because of increased training and enforcement.
- 5 Things to Know about the pope's trip to Mexico Updated: Feb-11-16 11:31 am
VATICAN CITY - History's first Latin American pope travels to Mexico on Friday for a weeklong tour of some of the most violent, poverty-stricken and peripheral places in the Americas. He'll be bringing a message of hope and solidarity to victims of drug violence, trafficking and discrimination - a message the Vatican hopes will also resonate north of the border.
- East Chicago looks at video attendance for jailed councilman Updated: Feb-11-16 5:13 am
EAST CHICAGO, Indiana - The city of East Chicago is looking into whether a City Council member jailed on allegations of drug crimes and a homicide could attend meetings by video.