- Rauner board asked builders to lobby lawmakers Updated: May-25-16 7:08 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The head of the agency managing state construction solicited help from private builders to lobby for state funding in an email ethics experts say was inappropriate.
- Puerto Rico clears first hurdle with committee vote Updated: May-25-16 6:13 pm
WASHINGTON - A bipartisan deal to help Puerto Rico manage its crippling finances cleared its first hurdle Wednesday with approval from a Republican-led House committee.
- The Latest: McAuliffe attorney: Probe should be closed Updated: May-25-16 1:23 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Latest on a federal investigation into Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's campaign contributions (all times local):
- Rooftop solar company Sunrun drops suit against governor Updated: May-24-16 7:24 pm
LAS VEGAS - A rooftop solar company that accused Gov. Brian Sandoval of political cronyism dropped a lawsuit seeking to force the release of his text messages and wants to mend fences after harsh statements over a Nevada rate hike.
- How Arizona's new laws punishing divergent cities came about Updated: May-23-16 7:53 pm
PHOENIX - One clear message Arizona lawmakers sent to mayors and other local officials during this year's legislative session: The state is the boss.
- Rhode Island lawmakers moving quickly on ethics reform Updated: May-23-16 3:36 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Hoping to show it's cleaning up its act, the Rhode Island General Assembly is moving quickly on changes that would put lawmakers under the watch of an ethics commission and strengthen lobbying rules.
- To claw or not to claw? NY cat proposal sparks frisky debate Updated: May-22-16 1:14 pm
ALBANY, New York - For many decades, declawing cats has been a routine veterinary procedure, but this is no simple pedicure. There's anesthesia, pain medication and the amputation of the cat's toes back to the first knuckle.
- Summary of charges against the speaker of Alabama's House Updated: May-22-16 11:43 am
OPELIKA, Alabama - Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard goes on trial Tuesday. He is accused of using his political positions to make money and obtain financial favors from lobbyists and companies with business before the Alabama Legislature. Hubbard says he is innocent. Among the charges:
- Michigan bill requires equal health coverage of cancer drugs Updated: May-21-16 10:15 am
LANSING, Michigan - Cancer patients and survivors are lobbying lawmakers to make Michigan the latest in a long line of states to require equal insurance coverage of chemotherapy regardless of whether the drugs are given by needle or taken orally.
- Bakers seek new law for Rhode Island's beloved wine biscuit Updated: May-18-16 3:05 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island bakers are asking lawmakers to make it easier for them to mass produce an Italian-American treat.
- Jury chosen for ethics trial of House Speaker Mike Hubbard Updated: May-18-16 1:27 pm
OPELIKA, Alabama - A jury has been picked for House Speaker Mike Hubbard's ethics trial scheduled to start next week.
- Delaware lawmakers eye more transparency for lobbyists Updated: May-17-16 5:33 pm
DOVER, Delaware - State lawmakers have introduced bills requiring lobbyists in Delaware to pay an annual registration fee and to disclose how much they are being paid by their clients for their work influencing legislative or administrative action.
- Equality NC training citizens to lobby against LGBT law Updated: May-17-16 1:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Representatives from a North Carolina LGBT advocacy organization say the state's new law limiting antidiscrimination policies is drawing more people out of their homes and to lawmakers' offices.
- Governor regrets 'I'm Available Jones' comment to lobbyists Updated: May-16-16 8:06 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Gov. Gary Herbert said Monday that he's disappointed in himself and his re-election campaign for offering to meet with lobbyists in exchange for campaign donations as he faces a tough battle for the GOP nomination this summer.
- NRA lobbying arm fights Nevada gun background check measure Updated: May-15-16 4:20 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The National Rifle Association is using its muscle to fight a Nevada ballot question that would create a universal background check for gun purchases in the state.
- Missouri lawmakers pass ethics laws but fail on gift ban Updated: May-14-16 2:32 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - GOP Speaker Todd Richardson, who assumed leadership of the Missouri House a year ago when his predecessor resigned amid scandal, said the 2016 Legislative session brought progress toward change in a state that's been called the wild west of ethics, but he's disappointed a bill to limit lobbyist gifts didn't win approval.
- The Latest: Nixon isn't saying whether he'll veto gun bill Updated: May-13-16 9:45 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The Latest on the final day of the Missouri legislative session (all times local):
- Missouri lawmakers pass expanded gun rights on final day Updated: May-13-16 9:21 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri lawmakers passed a sweeping expansion of gun rights Friday, allowing people to carry concealed guns without needing permits while also expanding their right to stand and fight against perceived threats.
- California Senate suspends lobbyist fundraising restrictions Updated: May-12-16 7:03 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Senate on Thursday reversed the fundraising blackout it imposed after a series of ethical violations led to the suspension of three senators in 2014, a day before senators would have been forced to stop some fundraising just ahead of the June primary.
- Missouri Senate debates $40 limit on lobbyist-bought meals Updated: May-11-16 7:25 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Lobbyists could each pay for $40 worth of food per lawmaker per day under a proposal unveiled Wednesday by a Missouri senator that would impose the state's first limits on lobbyist gifts.
- NC Chamber: LGBT law changes should allow some lawsuits Updated: May-11-16 6:02 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's business lobby says it wants changes to a state law that limits protections to LGBT people, but only offering specifics on a provision that blocks workplace discrimination lawsuits from state courts.
- Mother of slain teen lobbies to kill Oklahoma gun bills Updated: May-11-16 4:45 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A Lawton woman whose 19-year-old son was shot and killed in 2009 is among a group of mothers who urged legislators Wednesday to defeat a bill that would allow people to carry guns in public with no training or background checks.
- Editorials from around Pennsylvania Updated: May-11-16 10:52 am
Editorials from around Pennsylvania:
- Uber seeks new rules as Hungary considers ban on popular app Updated: May-09-16 1:08 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Uber says it wants to meet with Hungarian authorities seeking to ban the ride-hailing app and help develop new market regulations.
- Puerto Rico's economic crisis: How it happened, what's next Updated: May-09-16 10:46 am
WASHINGTON - One bond payment missed, another looms for debt-ridden Puerto Rico as Congress fights over how to help the U.S. territory and its 3.5 million Americans.