- VW, with limited DC lobbying footprint, braces for Congress Updated: Oct-06-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - When Volkswagen's top American executive heads to Capitol Hill this week, he probably won't be able to count on longtime allies among the lawmakers investigating the company's emissions cheating scandal.
- Businessman Brunner enters GOP race for Missouri governor Updated: Oct-05-15 12:24 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Retired businessman John Brunner formally entered the crowded Republican field seeking to be Missouri's next governor, touting himself as a political outsider with the leadership experience to bring needed change to state government.
- Records show lobbyists have spent $500K on Kansas lawmakers Updated: Oct-05-15 11:32 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Lobbyists have spent more than $500,000 on meals and entertainment for Kansas lawmakers this year, according to state data.
- Lobbyist agrees to plead guilty in traffic-cameras scandal Updated: Oct-02-15 2:18 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An Ohio lobbyist has agreed to plead guilty to extortion in a scandal involving the bribery of Columbus public officials by a traffic-camera company trying to keep its contracts with the city.
- Attorney general explains plan to revise campaign laws Updated: Sep-21-15 12:50 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Attorney General Marty Jackley has released an explanation for a ballot measure to create a publicly funded campaign finance program, require additional disclosure and limit lobbying by state officials after they leave government.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Stewart lobbying for Sept. 11 responders Updated: Sep-16-15 3:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Comedian Jon Stewart turned serious Wednesday as he lobbied members of Congress to permanently extend a law providing medical monitoring and treatment for Sept. 11 first responders.
- Second state regulator found to be lobbyist Updated: Sep-15-15 2:46 pm
PHOENIX - A second member of the Arizona Corporation Commission has been found to be registered as a telecommunications lobbyist while serving as a utility and telecommunications regulator.
- Statehouse sex scandals carry public costs, consequences Updated: Sep-15-15 1:11 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Michigan's statehouse has been roiled for the past month after an extramarital affair between two lawmakers became public, ultimately leading to both losing their seats.
- Bill would let officials solicit money for criminal defense Updated: Sep-14-15 6:19 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The head of the Alabama Ethics Commission on Monday sharply criticized a bill that would let public officials solicit money from lobbyists and others for criminal defense funds.
- Indicted speaker says ethics law unconstitutional, vague Updated: Sep-11-15 10:37 pm
MONTGOMERY, Ala - Indicted House Speaker Mike Hubbard said Alabama's ethics law is unconstitutionally vague, did not apply to him as Republican party chairman and that he had a free speech right to lobby for his clients, according to a court filing unsealed Friday.
- Missouri man fined for not registering as lobbyist Updated: Sep-11-15 7:58 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The Missouri Ethics Commission on Friday fined a man who describes himself as a "citizen lobbyist" and ordered him to officially register as a lobbyist, a move he said could discourage activists from speaking for or against legislation.
- On-air reporter's father: Congress should take on gun lobby Updated: Sep-10-15 1:45 pm
WASHINGTON - The father of Virginia shooting victim Alison Parker trekked to Capitol Hill Thursday to urge lawmakers to defy the powerful gun lobby and pass legislation to strengthen background checks for gun purchasers.
- New York Internet poker proposal divides gambling industry Updated: Sep-09-15 5:18 pm
ALBANY, New York - Talk of allowing Internet poker in New York has divided the gambling industry, with some companies telling state lawmakers Wednesday that it would increase government revenue while others warned it could undermine existing casinos and racetracks.