- Lobbying by renewable energy groups on rise in Massachusetts Updated: Apr-30-16 12:10 pm
BOSTON - An effort to jolt Massachusetts' reliance on solar and wind projects has surged in recent years, powered in part by an increase in lobbying by supporters of renewable energy.
- Firms that paid for Clinton speeches have US gov't interests Updated: Apr-22-16 3:58 am
WASHINGTON - It's not just Wall Street banks. Most companies and groups that paid Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton to speak between 2013 and 2015 have lobbied federal agencies in recent years, and more than one-third are government contractors, an Associated Press review has found. Their interests are sprawling and would follow Clinton to the White House should she win election this fall.
- Missouri lawmakers send ethics bills to governor Updated: Apr-20-16 11:11 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri lawmakers no longer could immediately become lobbyists after leaving office under a measure headed to the governor.
- The Latest: Senate upholds Civil War monuments bill veto Updated: Apr-20-16 2:29 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Latest on the Virginia General Assembly's consideration on Gov. Terry McAuliffe's vetoes and amendments to legislation passed earlier this year (all times local):
- Bill would make labs offer research beagles for adoption Updated: Apr-19-16 11:11 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Furry, four-legged lobbyists visited the Illinois State Capitol to support legislation that would require research dogs and cats a chance at adoption.
- Restrictions on campaign investments pass Missouri House Updated: Apr-19-16 9:32 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A bill nearing a final vote in the Missouri Legislature would restrict how political campaign committees invest their funds and limit what happens to the money after an official becomes a lobbyist.
- Ricketts lobbying senators on immigrant licensing bill Updated: Apr-19-16 6:33 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts is personally lobbying senators to try to stop them from overriding his veto of a bill that would allow certain immigrants to get professional licenses.
- Court rules Indiana lawmakers can keep emails private Updated: Apr-19-16 5:09 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana lawmakers can continue withholding their correspondence with lobbying groups and businesses from the public under a ruling Tuesday by the state Supreme Court.
- GOP leader vows retribution for transgender 'blackmail' Updated: Apr-19-16 5:08 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Republican leader in the Tennessee House vowed retribution Tuesday for companies that spoke out against a transgender bathroom bill, suggesting that lawmakers should consider limiting tax incentives and grants to them.
- Nebraska Gov. Ricketts approves property tax package Updated: Apr-19-16 3:41 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska will steer an extra $20 million to farm and ranch landowners next year to offset their property taxes under a bill Gov. Pete Ricketts signed Tuesday.
- The Latest: Governor not open to scaling back insurance plan Updated: Apr-19-16 3:33 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Latest on efforts to end a budget standoff over Arkansas' hybrid Medicaid expansion (all times local):
- Amid emotional outcry Gov. Rick Scott vetoes alimony bill Updated: Apr-15-16 4:41 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Wading once again into an emotionally charged debate, Florida Gov. Rick Scott on Friday vetoed a bill that would have ended permanent alimony payments and would have urged judges to enforce equal time-sharing with children of divorcing parents.
- Missouri's Nixon signs bill tightening loose ethics laws Updated: Apr-14-16 7:35 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon on Thursday signed the first ethics bill to reach his desk since sexually-charged scandals last year led two members of the Legislature to leave office and spurred a drive to tighten the state's loose laws on the conduct of lawmakers.
- Nebraska senators fail to vote on lobbyist meal ban Updated: Apr-13-16 9:21 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska lawmakers can keep eating lunches and dinners paid for by lobbyists, at least for now.
- Advocacy group files ballot measure to combat dark money Updated: Apr-12-16 9:11 pm
PHOENIX - A group seeking to reform campaign finance laws filed a proposed ballot measure Tuesday they say increases disclosure and limits the influence of lobbyists, special interests and anonymous political spending in Arizona politics.
- Missouri attorney general hopeful would want corruption unit Updated: Apr-12-16 7:16 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Republican candidate for Missouri attorney general says he would create a corruption unit to tackle misuse of public office if he is elected, part of a series of ethics-related policies he's pitching as state lawmakers make a renewed push for reform.
- Immigrants planning to head to Statehouse to lobby lawmakers Updated: Apr-10-16 9:23 am
BOSTON - Hundreds of immigrants and their supporters are planning to descend on Beacon Hill to press lawmakers on key issues.
- NY report shows $243 million spent on lobbying in 2015 Updated: Apr-07-16 4:40 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's ethics commission reports registered lobbyists spent a record $243 million last year trying to influence state and local governments, up 17 percent from the year before.
- Tennessee lawmaker exiled over 'continuing risk' to women Updated: Apr-07-16 4:00 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A Tennessee lawmaker is effectively being quarantined from lawmakers, lobbyists and interns after the state's attorney general determined that he could pose a risk to "unsuspecting women" at the state Capitol complex.
- House speaker exiles Durham over 'pattern of conduct' Updated: Apr-07-16 2:15 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - House Speaker Beth Harwell is taking steps to move the offices and limit the access of state Rep. Jeremy Durham, who is under investigation for sexual harassment.
- Virginia lawmakers banish pricey gifts - but not fundraisers Updated: Apr-06-16 11:49 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - In the Old Dominion, fancy gifts are out, but luxury fundraisers are still in.
- Attorneys seek former lawmaker's emails about ID theft laws Updated: Apr-05-16 6:15 pm
PHOENIX - Attorneys challenging Arizona identity theft laws that were used to charge hundreds of immigrants are asking a judge to order the release of emails between the lawmaker who was the chief sponsor of the statutes and advocates for tougher immigration enforcement.
- Insure Tennessee protest held in House speaker's office Updated: Apr-05-16 3:47 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Insure Tennessee supporters have held a protest inside the lobby of Republican House Speaker Beth Harwell's office at the legislative office complex in Nashville.
- Push on to move science center to fishing hub of New Bedford Updated: Apr-05-16 2:44 pm
NEW BEDFORD, Massachusetts - The federal government is considering renovating one of the oldest and most influential marine science centers in the country, prompting some to lobby for the facility to relocate across the bay to New Bedford, the nation's commercial fishing hub.
- Williston dentist lobbying for American Cancer Society Updated: Apr-03-16 12:48 pm
WILLISTON, North Dakota - A Williston dentist has earned a top spot in the lobbying and policy-influencing arm of the American Cancer Society.