- Sri Lanka leader calls for reforms to promote ethnic harmony Updated: Sep-01-15 10:36 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka's president asked the country's newly elected lawmakers on Tuesday to draft political reforms to promote ethnic reconciliation and economic development in the post-war era.
- New hospital in Jordan treats worst of Mideast's war-wounded Updated: Aug-27-15 4:34 am
AMMAN, Jordan - They are among the most tragically wounded from the Middle East's multiple wars. A 14-year-old Syrian girl whose lower legs were torn off by a shell. A 15-year-old Iraqi boy who was severely burned in a car bomb explosion.
- 6 killed in Syria after Israel retaliates for rocket attack Updated: Aug-21-15 4:43 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Israeli airstrikes in southern Syria killed six people and wounded seven, Syrian state TV reported Friday, in retaliation for a rocket attack on Israel the previous day that Israeli officials blamed on militants backed by Iran.
- Israeli army: 4 rockets from Syria hit Israel; no injuries Updated: Aug-20-15 5:50 pm
JERUSALEM - Militants in Syria fired several rockets into northern Israel on Thursday afternoon, prompting Israeli retaliatory fire, the military said - the first time since the 1973 Mideast war that rockets from Syrian territory have slammed into Israel.
- UN approves statement aimed at restoring peace to Syria Updated: Aug-17-15 5:47 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Security Council unanimously approved a statement backing intensive preparatory talks on key issues to restore peace to Syria on Monday, a sign of possible change in the U.N.'s most powerful body which has been deeply divided over how to end the war which has killed more than 250,000 people.
- Syrian rebel leader seeks Europe - fleeing gov't and jihadis Updated: Aug-17-15 12:38 pm
KOS, Greece - In the jostling chaos of a crammed refugee center, one man tries to introduce order - forming migrants into lines and collecting names for overwhelmed Greek police clerks.
- Iranian, Russian ministers present united front on Syria Updated: Aug-17-15 6:22 am
MOSCOW - The foreign ministers of Russia and Iran said after talks in Moscow that their two countries have a united position on Syria, with both diplomats warning against any outside attempt to dictate a resolution to the Syrian civil war.
- Deadly attacks surge as Iran's foreign minister visits Syria Updated: Aug-12-15 3:23 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Iran's foreign minister, who negotiated his country's nuclear deal with world powers, discussed ways of ending Syria's civil war with President Bashar Assad in Damascus on Wednesday, as attacks surged around the Syrian capital, killing at least 36 people and wounding dozens.
- With virtual reality, a 360-degree view inside Syria Updated: Aug-11-15 1:41 pm
LOS ANGELES - The latest frontier in virtual reality could be closer to reality than fantasy.
- Saudi FM in Moscow for Syria-focused talks Updated: Aug-11-15 9:34 am
MOSCOW - Pressing to mediate the Syrian conflict, Russia on Tuesday hosted the Saudi foreign minister for talks that revealed sharp differences about the fate of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Oklahoma landowner seeks families of Civil War soldiers Updated: Aug-10-15 9:23 am
RINGWOOD, Oklahoma - A landowner in Ringwood has the tombstones of two Civil War soldiers and is searching for the men's families.
- Iran nuclear deal opens diplomatic channels for Syria Updated: Aug-07-15 4:58 pm
BEIRUT - The nuclear deal with Iran was widely expected to affect other Middle East issues, and that may already be happening with Syria: A series of recent diplomatic maneuvers suggest a growing willingness to at least engage with the Iranian-backed government of Bashar Assad on ways to end the country's civil war.
- US begins armed drone flights from Turkey Updated: Aug-03-15 3:51 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. military is expanding its combat role in Syria in defense of coalition-backed rebels, conducting armed drone missions into Syria from an air base in Turkey and imposing new rules allowing the U.S. to defend rebels against attacks from any hostile force, including the Assad government.
- Analysis: US-Turkey deal on Syria a big gamble Updated: Aug-03-15 9:06 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan are both taking a big gamble as they agree to work together against the Islamic State group militants in Syria.