- The Latest: UK envoy: Jet downing must spur end to Syria war Updated: Nov-25-15 3:20 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest on the war in Syria, including a Russian warplane shot down by Turkey. All times local:
- Amid Syria's civil war, a James Bond-style rescue operation Updated: Nov-25-15 2:53 pm
BEIRUT - In the whirlwind of Syria's civil war, two Russian pilots parachuted from their aircraft into a chaotic front-line mountainous region near the border with Turkey after their aircraft was hit by a Turkish F-16 fighter jet.
- Militant attacks abroad a diplomatic quandary for China's Xi Updated: Nov-25-15 1:01 am
BEIJING - The killings of Chinese citizens by Islamic militants in Syria and Mali place President Xi Jinping in a quandary: How can Beijing respond effectively without betraying its strict stance against intervention?
- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Recent editorials from Texas newspapers Updated: Nov-24-15 8:31 pm
The Dallas Morning News. Nov. 23, 2015.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- The Latest: France says it has struck IS center in Iraq Updated: Nov-24-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on President Barack Obama's meeting with French President Francois Hollande at the White House on the fight against the Islamic State group:
- Russia's Putin in Iran for talks focusing on Syria Updated: Nov-23-15 4:36 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Russia's President Vladimir Putin visited Tehran on Monday for talks with Iranian leaders that focused on the Syrian crisis and an international peace plan intended to end the conflict.
- Pennsylvania mayor says Syrian refugees welcome Updated: Nov-23-15 4:12 pm
ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - The mayor of an eastern Pennsylvania city with one of the nation's largest Syrian populations said Monday that his city welcomes Syrian refugees and will help support them as they get settled in the United States.
- US envoy: Chemical attacks 'becoming routine' in Syria Updated: Nov-23-15 1:42 pm
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The U.S. envoy to the international chemical weapons watchdog warned Monday that the use of such toxic arms is "becoming routine in the Syrian civil war."
- Prince Charles: Climate change party to blame for Syria war Updated: Nov-23-15 10:09 am
LONDON - Prince Charles says climate change is partly responsible for Syria's civil war and the chaos it has unleashed.
- Analysis: Mideast chaos, violence won't end with IS defeat Updated: Nov-23-15 3:11 am
WASHINGTON - The chaos and violence gripping the Middle East are not likely to evaporate even if the forces arrayed against the Islamic State group manage to crush the brutal army and its drive to establish an Islamic caliphate in Iraq and Syria and beyond.
- Obama warns against overreaction to Islamic State attacks Updated: Nov-22-15 12:35 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Trying to reassure a nation on edge, President Barack Obama said Sunday the Islamic State group "cannot strike a mortal blow" against the U.S., and he warned that overreacting to the Paris attacks would play into extremists' hands. "We will destroy this terrorist organization," he vowed.
- Told he must go, Syria's Assad may outlast Obama in office Updated: Nov-22-15 10:50 am
WASHINGTON - Bashar Assad's presidency looks likely to outlast Barack Obama's.
- CAPITOL HILL BUZZ: Forget Assad, focus on IS Updated: Nov-20-15 1:44 pm
WASHINGTON - In an unusual alliance, a House Democrat and Republican have teamed up to urge the Obama administration to stop trying to overthrow Syrian President Bashar Assad and focus all its efforts on destroying Islamic State militants.
- In America's Little Syria, a divide on accepting refugees Updated: Nov-20-15 10:36 am
ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - A few days ago, a pastor asked Syrian-born restaurant owner Marie Jarrah to donate food to a welcoming event for recently arrived Syrian refugees. Jarrah, who said she regularly helps people in need, declined.
- Saudi Arabia will host conference to unite Syrian opposition Updated: Nov-19-15 8:35 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Saudi Arabia will host a conference in mid-December to try to unite the Syrian opposition ahead of new peace talks, a key issue in stepped up efforts to end the nearly five-year civil war, the country's U.N. ambassador said Thursday.
- Migrants fear Paris attacks have multiplied their woes Updated: Nov-19-15 1:12 pm
PRESEVO, Serbia - At the tender age of 16, Ahmad Fawad has three fears: He fears the Taliban gunmen who killed his family members in Afghanistan. He fears that once-welcoming European countries are shutting the doors after the carnage in Paris. And he fears that the very extremists who attacked his family at home are moving alongside him in the flow of humanity bound for Europe.
- China strongly condemns Islamic State killing of hostage Updated: Nov-19-15 6:10 am
BEIJING - China's president on Thursday strongly condemned the killing of a Chinese hostage by Islamic State extremists, saying such groups are enemies of mankind.
- UN team identifies detention center at Sri Lankan navy base Updated: Nov-18-15 7:01 pm
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - A U.N. team says it found a secret underground detention center at a Sri Lankan navy base where many post-civil war detainees were believed to have been interrogated and tortured. The navy, however, denied there was any such center at the base.
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Nov-18-15 6:26 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in the United States and abroad:
- With Islamic State targeted, what happens to Syria's Assad? Updated: Nov-18-15 3:17 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The tide of global rage against the Islamic State group lends greater urgency to ending the jihadis' ability to operate at will from a base in war-torn Syria. That momentum could also force a reevaluation of what to do about President Bashar Assad and puts a renewed focus on the position of his key patrons, Russia and Iran.
- IS group says it has killed Norwegian, Chinese captives Updated: Nov-18-15 1:28 pm
CAIRO - The Islamic State group said Wednesday that it has killed Norwegian and Chinese captives after earlier demanding ransoms for the two men.
- 2016 Senate contenders in Ohio differ on Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-18-15 12:50 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Candidates in Ohio's closely watched 2016 U.S. Senate race favor different approaches to Syrian refugees in the wake of the Paris attacks.
- Republicans rush to shut borders to Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-18-15 9:40 am
WASHINGTON - Republicans urged an immediate closure of America's borders to Syrian refugees Tuesday, drawing angry denunciations from President Barack Obama and other Democrats and igniting an emotional debate about U.S. values in the wake of the deadly Paris terror attacks.