- Wind-driven brush fire burns in northern Los Angeles County Updated: May-28-16 6:06 pm
AGUA DULCE, California - Firefighters are battling a wind-driven brush fire in the Agua Dulce area of northern Los Angeles County.
- Democrats crowd race for Public Lands Commissioner Updated: May-28-16 5:31 pm
SEATTLE - This fall's race for Washington's Commissioner of Public Lands - an office that oversees the state's largest firefighting force and 5.6 million acres of land - is hotly contested since no incumbent is on the ballot.
- Authorities say nearly 800 pigs killed in Ohio barn fire Updated: May-28-16 2:55 pm
BELLEFONTAINE, Ohio - Authorities in Logan County say nearly 800 pigs, most of them young, have been killed in a barn fire.
- San Diego apartment fire displaces 36 people Updated: May-28-16 2:38 pm
SAN DIEGO - Three dozen people have been displaced by a fire in an apartment complex in San Diego.
- Man convicted on terrorism charge in synagogue firebombings Updated: May-28-16 2:38 pm
HACKENSACK, New Jersey - A New Jersey man convicted of terrorism for vandalizing and firebombing Jewish temples and a rabbi's home is now facing a possible life sentence.
- Mountain Home fire chief resigns over discipline discord Updated: May-28-16 12:52 pm
MOUNTAIN HOME, Idaho - The fire chief in the city of Mountain Home has resigned from his post, citing a disagreement with the mayor over how to discipline a firefighter following a February blaze.
- UI police respond to apartment explosion that leaves 1 dead Updated: May-27-16 9:13 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A University of Iowa spokeswoman says authorities are investigating an explosion and fire at a university-owned apartment that left one person dead.
- Good weather, no campfire restrictions in store for holiday Updated: May-27-16 7:14 pm
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - Calm winds, sunny skies and no campfire restrictions in national forests.
- 3-year-old killed in Tacoma fire died of smoke inhalation Updated: May-27-16 6:20 pm
TACOMA, Washington - Authorities say a 3-year-old boy killed in a Tacoma fire died of smoke inhalation.
- Milwaukee police investigate discovery of burned remains Updated: May-27-16 5:33 pm
MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee police are investigating the discovery of burned human remains.
- Bridge fire temporarily shuts down rail traffic over Potomac Updated: May-27-16 5:16 pm
Capital fire officials say a blaze on a CSX bridge over the Potomac River has been extinguished and trains are running again after an hours-long delay on the only rail bridge linking the District of Columbia and Virginia.
- Exotic cat dead after fire at hip hop figure's home in Vegas Updated: May-27-16 5:09 pm
LAS VEGAS - Authorities in Las Vegas are investigating the cause of a fire that damaged the home of a hip hop figure and left an exotic pet wildcat dead.
- Woman found dead inside burning mobile home in Olathe Updated: May-27-16 4:33 pm
OLATHE, Colorado - Authorities in Montrose County are investigating the death of a woman whose body was found inside a burning mobile home in Olathe (oh-LAY'-thuh).
- I-25 near Pueblo back open after tanker wreckage cleared Updated: May-27-16 3:34 pm
COLORADO CITY, Colorado - All lanes of Interstate 25 south of Pueblo are back open now that the wreckage of a tanker truck has been cleared.
- Recalls this week: spill-proof cups, water heaters Updated: May-27-16 2:39 pm
More than 3 million spill-proof cups for children are being recalled because of mold development risk, with more than 3,000 reported cases already. Other recalled consumer products include faulty water heaters and mattress pads.
- Police: Mom trapped with kids had set fire to frame husband Updated: May-27-16 1:32 pm
NEWARK, Ohio - A woman repeatedly set fire to her home and tried to frame her estranged husband, including for one blaze that trapped her and her children before they were rescued by police, authorities said.
- Firefighters say they're being asked to remove US flags Updated: May-27-16 12:50 pm
COVENTRY, Rhode Island - Firefighters in Rhode Island say they're being asked to remove U.S. flags from their fire trucks.
- Authorities investigating tour bus fire in Newport Updated: May-27-16 12:24 pm
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - Authorities are working to determine the cause of a tour bus fire in Newport.
- Woman dies from fire ant attack 1 day after her mother died Updated: May-27-16 12:20 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - An Alabama woman standing atop a hay bale was attacked by fire ants and died of an apparent allergic reaction the day after her mother died, authorities and a relative said Friday.
- Firefighters from airports in Upper Peninsula hold training Updated: May-27-16 11:54 am
FORSYTH TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Firefighters from airports across Michigan's Upper Peninsula gathered for aircraft rescue and fire training at Sawyer International Airport.
- Kansas City fire chief says changes made since 2 deaths Updated: May-27-16 11:07 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The aim of recommendations in a new report focusing on the recent deaths of two firefighters is to minimize future losses, Kansas City Fire Chief Paul Berardi said.
- DeKalb County woman convicted in fatal apartment fire Updated: May-27-16 10:45 am
DECATUR, Georgia - Prosecutors say a DeKalb County woman has been convicted of arson in a fatal apartment fire.
- Sheriff's: 2 Vancouver area church fires were arson Updated: May-27-16 10:24 am
VANCOUVER, Washington - Clark County fire investigators say two church fires this week were intentionally set but they do not know yet whether the fires were related.
- Officials: Stamford medical office fire likely not arson Updated: May-27-16 7:55 am
STAMFORD, Connecticut - Investigators say a fire that destroyed a medical office housed in a 120-year-old home in Stamford was likely not arson.
- Authorities work to ID, investigate body in burning car Updated: May-27-16 7:31 am
PENN HILLS, Pennsylvania - The Allegheny County medical examiner and police are working to identify a body found inside a burning car in the Pittsburgh suburbs.