- Chile police say 2 churches burned in Mapuche conflict zone Updated: May-26-16 7:06 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Two Roman Catholic churches were burned in a southern region that the Mapuche indigenous group claims as its ancestral territory, police said Thursday.
- Fourth missionary injured in Brussels attack out of hospital Updated: May-26-16 5:39 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A 66-year-old Mormon missionary who suffered severe burns on more than one-third of his body in the Brussels airport bombing has been released from the hospital.
- St. Paul archdiocese plan offers over $65M to creditors Updated: May-26-16 5:33 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on Thursday filed a bankruptcy reorganization plan that would set up a trust fund of more than $65 million to compensate some 440 clergy abuse victims plus other creditors, with just over half of that amount coming from insurance.
- Tens of thousands take part in Brazil's March for Jesus Updated: May-26-16 2:23 pm
SAO PAULO - Tens of thousands of evangelical Christians are taking part in Brazil's "March for Jesus," an annual event that unites faithful from hundreds of Protestant churches in a country that is largely Roman Catholic.
- Egypt: Muslim mob attacks Christians, parade naked woman Updated: May-26-16 2:21 pm
CAIRO - An armed Muslim mob stripped an elderly Christian woman and paraded her naked on the streets in an attack last week in which seven Christian homes were also looted and torched in a province south of the Egyptian capital.
- UN decries church worship limit in Cyprus' breakaway north Updated: May-26-16 9:58 am
NICOSIA, Cyprus - A U.N. envoy has expressed "deep concern" over a newly-imposed limit on worship in Orthodox Christian churches inside ethnically divided Cyprus' breakaway Turkish Cypriot north.
- Carter to step down from 'front-line' work with The Elders Updated: May-25-16 5:42 pm
ATLANTA - Jimmy Carter is stepping away from his "front-line role" as a member of The Elders, the global human rights group announced Wednesday.
- Utah making it harder to get liquor licenses near churches Updated: May-25-16 11:53 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah's alcohol control board is making it harder for bars and restaurants located near churches to get liquor licenses.
- Church in Alabama's rocket city replacing "Cosmic Christ" Updated: May-25-16 9:41 am
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Mention "Eggbeater Jesus" and most any Huntsville resident will know what you're talking about. The glass-tile mosaic that graces the front of First Baptist Church - officially, its name is "Cosmic Christ" - has been a local landmark for more than 40 years.
- 2 Vatican bank board members resign over disagreements Updated: May-25-16 9:13 am
VATICAN CITY - Two board members of the scandal-marred Vatican bank have resigned over disagreements about the management and mission of the institution.
- Philippine population growth slows as contraceptives spread Updated: May-25-16 4:43 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines' annual population growth rate has slowed as more people in the predominantly Roman Catholic country use contraception.
- The Latest: Barksdale wins Democratic Senate primary Updated: May-24-16 11:49 pm
ATLANTA - The Latest on Georgia's primary elections (all times local):
- Mormon temple statue designed to be struck by lightning Updated: May-24-16 12:31 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The gold statue on top of the Mormon temple in Bountiful that was struck by lightning is designed for that very purpose.
- Idaho man sues ISU over hostility toward his Mormon faith Updated: May-24-16 10:24 am
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - An Idaho Falls man is suing Idaho State University, claiming that he was discriminated against because of his Mormon faith.
- Irish church eyes 2018 papal visit, reconciliation gesture Updated: May-24-16 8:02 am
VATICAN CITY - The archbishop of Dublin is hoping Pope Francis will visit Northern Ireland as well as Dublin to mark the next edition of the Catholic Church's big family rally.
- Priest abuse victim sentenced for child pornography Updated: May-24-16 6:48 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - A Kentucky newspaper reports a man who was abused by a Catholic priest in Louisville as a child has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for using two boys to produce child pornography.
- Priest escapes jail time in attempted luring case Updated: May-24-16 2:55 am
VANCOUVER, Washington - A Catholic priest who pleaded guilty to trying to lure a 14-year-old girl into his car while she was walking home in Vancouver has avoided additional jail time in the case.
- Statue depicting Jesus as homeless debuts at Detroit church Updated: May-23-16 5:40 pm
DETROIT - A new statue depicting Jesus as a homeless man has been unveiled at a downtown Detroit church.
- Omaha Catholic church plans renovation of community center Updated: May-23-16 12:24 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - An Omaha Catholic church and school has purchased a neighboring community center that shut down last year.
- Eastern Pennsylvania United Methodist Church marks 150 years Updated: May-23-16 10:26 am
LANGHORNE, Pennsylvania - Alma Willits has been a member of the Scottsville United Methodist Church in Lower Southampton since 1949. As the church historian, she'll have a place of honor Sunday when the congregation celebrates its 150th anniversary.
- Pope embraces Al-Azhar imam in sign of renewed relations Updated: May-23-16 9:35 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis on Monday embraced the grand imam of Al-Azhar, the prestigious Sunni Muslim center of learning, reopening an important channel for Catholic-Muslim dialogue after a five-year lull and at a time of increased Islamic extremist attacks on Christians.
- Michigan church damaged by June tornado hosts service again Updated: May-23-16 9:24 am
PORTLAND, Michigan - A Michigan church that was badly damaged by a June tornado is again hosting services at its rebuilt building.
- Head of Indian state to attend Mother Teresa canonization Updated: May-23-16 3:45 am
KOLKATA, India - The head of the Indian state where Mother Teresa worked with the destitute and ill says she'll travel to the Vatican for the Nobel winner's canonization later this year.
- Pittsburgh home for retired priests to get $5M makeover Updated: May-23-16 3:20 am
PITTSBURGH - A home for retired priests in Pittsburgh is getting a $5 million makeover that includes a new kitchen, dining room, living room and exercise facility.
- Girl barred from prom for wearing suit has her prom night Updated: May-22-16 5:26 pm
YORK, Pennsylvania - A central Pennsylvania high school student barred from attending prom at her Catholic high school because she wore a suit rather than a dress has had her prom night - at a different school.