- The Latest: Pope arrives for latest Mass of Mexico trip Updated: Feb-14-16 11:40 am
MEXICO CITY - The Latest on Pope Francis' visit to Mexico (all times local):
- Memorial service held for victims of train crash in Germany Updated: Feb-14-16 11:22 am
BERLIN - Hundreds of mourners have gathered at a memorial service for the 11 victims who died in a head-on train crash in southern Germany.
- Tracing roots: Genealogy event held at Soldotna church Updated: Feb-14-16 9:57 am
KENAI, Alaska - In the mid-1800s, Albertine Joan Garner's great-great-grandfather deserted from the French military, married a can-can dancer - Garner's great-grandmother - and sailed to a new life in Canada.
- Pope to bring message of hope to gritty Mexico City suburb Updated: Feb-14-16 9:30 am
MEXICO CITY - Pope Francis heads into the capital's crime-ridden suburb of Ecatepec on Sunday to see firsthand the reality of the Mexican "periphery," where drug violence, gangland-style executions and kidnappings are daily facts of life.
- Brazil's Zika-related abortion debate sparks backlash Updated: Feb-14-16 1:02 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Before her son was born, Danielle Alves didn't know Luiz Gustavo would have microcephaly, a condition that has left the 3-year-old so disabled he can't walk, talk or eat without help.
- Crews work on altar, stairs for papal visit to Ciudad Juarez Updated: Feb-13-16 7:48 pm
CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico - Construction worker Lino Medrano has contributed to many projects in Ciudad JuÃ¡rez, but nothing compares with the work he has done in the past few weeks.
- Mormon church explains stances on 2 medical marijuana bills Updated: Feb-13-16 2:37 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has clarified its differing opinions on medical marijuana legislation.
- Church lifts ban of Indian priest convicted of sex assault Updated: Feb-13-16 2:29 pm
NEW DELHI - The Roman Catholic church in southern India has lifted the suspension of a priest convicted last year of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in the United States more than a decade ago, a spokesman said Saturday.
- Kansas City woman leaves $2M to Jesuits Updated: Feb-13-16 12:19 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Kansas City woman who grew up on a farm, worked as a teacher and lived on a pension left $2 million to a Catholic order when she died at age 100.
- Pope-Patriarch meeting seen by Russians as significant Updated: Feb-13-16 8:50 am
MOSCOW - Russians ranging from Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev to ordinary citizens are seeing the landmark meeting of the heads of the Roman Catholic and Russian Orthodox churches as having significance far beyond religious doctrine.
- 'Finally': Pope meets Russian Orthodox leader Updated: Feb-12-16 11:24 pm
MEXICO CITY - With an exclamation of "Finally," Pope Francis embraced Patriarch Kirill on Friday in the first meeting between a pontiff and the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, a brief but historic encounter held during a stopover in Cuba before the pope flew on to Mexico.
- The Latest: Pope briefly emerges to speak with well-wishers Updated: Feb-12-16 11:21 pm
HAVANA - The latest on Pope Francis's historic meeting in Cuba with Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill and his subsequent trip to Mexico (all times local):
- Sheriff's office cars to display 'In God We Trust' decals Updated: Feb-12-16 3:53 pm
RUTHERFORDTON, North Carolina - Patrol cars used by the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office are now sporting "In God We Trust" decals thanks to a local church which pitched in to help buy them.
- Chicago-area priest charged with sexual abusing 2 children Updated: Feb-12-16 12:21 pm
AURORA, Illinois - Prosecutors outside Chicago have charged a Catholic priest with sexually abusing two children under age 13.
- Las Cruces Bishop to represent US during pope's Mexico visit Updated: Feb-12-16 10:17 am
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - Las Cruces Bishop Oscar Cantu will represent U.S. Catholic bishops during the pope's historical visit to Mexico.
- Russian Orthodox Church allowed to return debt in prayers Updated: Feb-12-16 7:12 am
MOSCOW - A Russian regional court has ruled that an Orthodox Church diocese can repay part of an outstanding debt in prayers rather than money.
- In meeting Pope Francis, patriarch asserts Russia's role Updated: Feb-12-16 4:08 am
MOSCOW - When Patriarch Kirill meets Pope Francis this week, the historic event will allow the head of the Russian Orthodox Church to assert Russia's leading role in the Eastern Christian world. It may also allow Kirill, a skillful political player with close ties to President Vladimir Putin, to open a new avenue of communication for the Kremlin as it tries to escape Western isolation.
- Revitalized El Paso ready to show off for papal tourists Updated: Feb-11-16 8:42 pm
EL PASO, Texas - No longer the desolate space it was a few years ago, downtown El Paso is ripe with new hotels, bars, restaurants - and bulldozers that herald the planned construction of a streetcar, a children's museum, a Mexican-American cultural center and new mixed-used buildings.
- Rabbi ejected from Northern Arizona town meeting over prayer Updated: Feb-11-16 2:41 pm
CHINO VALLEY, Arizona - A rabbi was removed from a town council meeting in Northern Arizona after she protested when the mayor read a Christian invocation.
- 5 Things to Know about the pope's trip to Mexico Updated: Feb-11-16 11:31 am
VATICAN CITY - History's first Latin American pope travels to Mexico on Friday for a weeklong tour of some of the most violent, poverty-stricken and peripheral places in the Americas. He'll be bringing a message of hope and solidarity to victims of drug violence, trafficking and discrimination - a message the Vatican hopes will also resonate north of the border.
- Battle Creek couple starts new community church Updated: Feb-11-16 11:20 am
BATTLE CREEK, Michigan - Battle Creek couple Stephanie and Pastor John Boyd understand how it feels to lose and rediscover faith.
- Diocese of Gallup to get Ciudad Juarez Papal Mass tickets Updated: Feb-11-16 5:01 am
GALLUP, New Mexico - The Diocese of Gallup says it also will be getting tickets to a Papal Mass in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.
- Church talks help make Cuba 'perfect place for negotiations' Updated: Feb-11-16 12:13 am
HAVANA - The heads of the Roman Catholic and Russian Orthodox churches will hold a historic meeting Friday in the threadbare international airport of an officially secular, communist-run tropical island.
- Defense begins case in trial against polygamous towns Updated: Feb-10-16 7:30 pm
PHOENIX - The mayor of a polygamous town in Utah accused of functioning as an arm of a polygamous church said Wednesday that he has never discriminated based on religion.
- The Latest: Ex-priest worked at Catholic charity in Phoenix Updated: Feb-10-16 5:31 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on the arrest in Arizona of a former priest in the 1960 cold-case killing of a Texas schoolteacher (all times local):