- 'Holy Fire,' fireworks: Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter Updated: May-01-16 11:59 am
ATHENS, Greece - With "Holy Fire," fireworks and solemn Masses, Orthodox Christians around the world celebrated Easter on Sunday, commemorating the day followers believe that Jesus was resurrected more than 2,000 years ago.
- New Jersey schools aid new school halfway around the world Updated: May-01-16 11:10 am
WILLINGBORO, New Jersey - The old desks, metal chairs and other office furniture were bound for the trash here in Burlington County, but a world away, those ready-to-be-tossed items were able to help transform a school.
- Lincoln congregation raises funds to replace burned church Updated: May-01-16 11:00 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - More than two years have passed since the bitterly cold night in January 2014 when firefighters battled the flames that gutted the Syracuse United Methodist Church, leaving only an ice-covered red-brick shell behind.
- Pope insists pedophile criminals be 'severely' punished Updated: May-01-16 9:38 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is insisting that pedophiles who abuse children be severely punished.
- Pope decries 'desperate' situation in Syrian city of Aleppo Updated: May-01-16 7:35 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is decrying worsening violence amid the already "desperate" humanitarian situation in Syria, particularly in the northern city of Aleppo.
- Openly gay rock singer changing tune on Mormon religion Updated: Apr-30-16 10:07 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Two years after coming out as gay and praising the Mormon church for offering support, the lead singer of a popular rock band is denouncing his faith in his latest music video.
- Catholic order sells site of nunnery for 125-plus years Updated: Apr-30-16 3:42 pm
TIPTON, Indiana - A Roman Catholic order has sold a central Indiana property that housed its nunnery for more than 125 years.
- Episcopal priest who helped church through split to leave Updated: Apr-30-16 2:58 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Rev. Jerry Smith, who helped St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church heal after a congregational split about a dozen years ago, is leaving the parish for a new post in Florida.
- Church bookkeeper pleads not guilty to theft charges Updated: Apr-30-16 12:40 pm
ALBERT LEA, Minnesota - A bookkeeper has pleaded not guilty to charges that she stole nearly $200,000 from a Catholic church and school in Albert Lea.
- Visiting Syrian bishop to discuss Christians' persecution Updated: Apr-30-16 9:37 am
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - A Syrian archbishop is visiting New Haven this weekend to talk about the persecution of Christians and other religious minorities in Iraq and Syria.
- Holy fire ceremony in Jerusalem draws thousands Updated: Apr-30-16 9:19 am
JERUSALEM - Thousands of Christians have gathered in Jerusalem for an ancient fire ceremony that celebrates Jesus' resurrection.
- Ex-priest gets 20-40 years in prison for sexual assault Updated: Apr-30-16 1:50 am
JACKSON, Michigan - Victims confronted a former Roman Catholic priest in court Friday as he was sentenced to at least 20 years in prison for sexually abusing students at a Michigan high school in the 1980s.
- Correction: Notre Dame-Indianapolis story Updated: Apr-29-16 6:45 pm
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - In a story April 25 about the University of Notre Dame, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the school was taking over five schools in the Archdiocese of Indianapolis through its Alliance for Catholic Education program. The university says it is entering into a partnership with the schools.
- Police criticize BYU investigations into sex assault victims Updated: Apr-29-16 2:03 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Several Utah police officials are joining in calls to change Brigham Young University's practice of opening honor code investigations into students after they report being sexually assaulted, as more sexual assault victims reach out to police to say they have felt silenced by the policy.
- At the Vatican, Biden seeks common cause with pope on cancer Updated: Apr-29-16 1:55 pm
VATICAN CITY - Vice President Joe Biden found common cause with Pope Francis on Friday at the Vatican for a global commitment to fund cancer research.
- Mormon to buy 500 more acres in Vermont for utopia community Updated: Apr-29-16 12:29 pm
SHARON, Vermont - A Mormon Utah businessman who wants to build a massive, futuristic, utopia-like community in central Vermont says he's about to buy 500 more acres of land for the project, bringing his total to about 1,400 acres.
- Families of Mormon missionaries being targeted in phone scam Updated: Apr-29-16 11:39 am
SALT LAKE CITY - A telephone scam is targeting grandparents of Mormon missionaries, asking for money to release their relatives from jail.
- Pilgrims trace Jesus' footsteps on Good Friday in Jerusalem Updated: Apr-29-16 10:57 am
JERUSALEM - Greek-Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox pilgrims are commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ by following the path in Jerusalem's Old City where, according to tradition, he walked on the way to the cross.
- Harrisburg bishop hospitalized after not feeling well Updated: Apr-29-16 6:45 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Roman Catholic bishop of Harrisburg is in a hospital after not feeling well.
- 3rd of 4 Mormon missionaries injured in Brussels goes home Updated: Apr-28-16 7:31 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Mormon missionary injured in the Brussels bombing attack is back at home after he was released from a Salt Lake City hospital.
- Ministers, refugees ask House to block anti-refugee bill Updated: Apr-28-16 6:21 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Opponents of legislation that requires refugees in South Carolina to register and holds liable those who help them resettle asked a House panel Thursday to block the bill.
- Illinois school settles separation of church and state case Updated: Apr-28-16 6:06 pm
ST. LOUIS - An Illinois public school that requires students who ride the bus to arrive early for optional religious instruction at a Roman Catholic parish has agreed to discontinue the practice in response to a legal challenge.
- Dubuque considers financially aiding church redevelopment Updated: Apr-28-16 5:30 pm
DUBUQUE, Iowa - Members of the Dubuque City Council will consider supporting an effort to turn a former Catholic church campus into apartments for formerly homeless women.
- Greek Orthodox priest's sex abuse conviction is upheld Updated: Apr-28-16 5:14 pm
BANGOR, Maine - The Maine supreme court has rejected the appeal of a former Greek Orthodox priest convicted of sexually abusing a child.
- Graham urges Christian to Vote in Kansas Updated: Apr-28-16 3:40 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The son of the Rev. Billy Graham is urging Christians in Kansas to vote for other Christians who resist secularism.