- Questions in Lebanon over protesters' end game Updated: Sep-01-15 4:16 pm
BEIRUT - Lebanese security forces and protesters engaged in a drawn-out standoff outside a ministry that was briefly taken over by activists Tuesday, reflecting both reluctance by authorities to decisively crack down and a lack of focus by protesters - who are determined but lacking a clear path to success.
- Judge drops case against gay-rights activist Terry Bean Updated: Sep-01-15 2:11 pm
EUGENE, Oregon - A judge has dismissed sex-crimes charges against prominent gay rights activist Terry Bean, who was accused of having sex with a 15-year-old boy.
- Black Lives Matter movement experiencing growing pains Updated: Sep-01-15 12:36 pm
WASHINGTON - Hundreds of Black Lives Matter activists, black and white, marched outside the Minnesota State Fair this weekend, hoping to bring attention to the deaths of African-Americans at the hands of police.
- Journalist in Azerbaijan sentenced to 7½ years in prison Updated: Sep-01-15 10:44 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - A court in Azerbaijan convicted an investigative journalist on Tuesday of several financial crimes and sentenced her to 7½ years in prison, in a case widely criticized by human rights organizations.
- American anti-dolphin-hunt activist arrested in Japan Updated: Sep-01-15 9:35 am
TOKYO - Former "Flipper" trainer Ric O'Barry was released by police late Tuesday after being arrested for not carrying his passport while in Japan to protest a dophin hunt due to begin this week.
- Animal activists targeting Vick at Steelers preseason game Updated: Sep-01-15 8:58 am
PITTSBURGH - Animal activists are planning a candlelight vigil outside the Pittsburgh Steelers last preseason game on Thursday to protest the signing of quarterback Michael Vick.
- Federal judge to hear whether police violated protest order Updated: Sep-01-15 8:32 am
DENVER - A federal judge is set to hear arguments over whether Denver's police chief should be held in contempt of court after officers seized protesters' property.
- Activists say IS damages ancient temple in Syria's Palmyra Updated: Aug-30-15 11:25 pm
BEIRUT - Islamic State militants in Syria severely damaged the Bel Temple, considered one of the greatest sites of the ancient world, in a massive explosion Sunday, activists said.
- Israel has failed to reform Jewish radicals, critics charge Updated: Aug-30-15 10:59 am
SHIR HADASH OUTPOST, West Bank - The Israeli government initiative has a soothing biblical name, the Hebrew Shepherd, and a serious aim: to keep ultranationalist Jewish settler youths from turning to violence and attacking Palestinians and their property.
- The Latest: Lebanese group threaten to escalate protests Updated: Aug-29-15 2:56 pm
BEIRUT - Here are the latest developments regarding Lebanon's protest over the country's ongoing trash crisis (all times local):
- The Latest: Canada asks for release of Al-Jazeera defendant Updated: Aug-29-15 7:47 am
CAIRO - Here are the latest developments in Egypt's retrial of three Al-Jazeera English journalists (all times local):
- Prosecutors: Charges against activist likely to be dropped Updated: Aug-28-15 9:19 pm
EUGENE, Oregon - Prosecutors said Friday that they expect to dismiss child sex-abuse charges against prominent gay rights activist Terry Bean because the alleged victim is unlikely to show up for trial.
- Abortion-rights activists to protest Trump fundraiser Updated: Aug-28-15 3:26 pm
NORWOOD, Massachusetts - Abortion-rights activists are planning to protest outside a private fundraiser for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Friday night.
- Senegal activist: Release 7 men convicted of gay acts Updated: Aug-28-15 12:20 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - A Senegalese activist and a rights group on Friday called for the release of seven men arrested in July and sentenced to six months in prison for homosexual acts.
- 3 arrested at Kentucky State Fair breakfast Updated: Aug-27-15 2:17 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - A leading gay-rights activist and two others were arrested for protesting at the Kentucky Farm Bureau's Country Ham Breakfast and Auction, an event at the state fair that draws many of the state's top political leaders.
- Young Lebanese activists challenge old political class Updated: Aug-26-15 5:29 pm
BEIRUT - First they egged the prime minister's building. Then they dumped some of the garbage piling up on Beirut's streets outside the home of the environment minister, furious the government couldn't get its act together to find a solution when Lebanon's main landfill shut down.
- Guatemalan ex-vice president held during corruption trial Updated: Aug-26-15 3:02 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - A judge ordered Guatemala's former vice president to remain in jail Wednesday while she stands trial on charges of conspiracy, customs fraud and bribery, based on allegations that she accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of the scandal that forced her from office.
- Judge allows Denver jury activists to keep pamphleting Updated: Aug-26-15 5:35 am
DENVER - An injunction from a federal judge allows Denver activists to continue to hand out jury nullification literature on courthouse grounds as long as they mind the landscaping.
- A look at recent politically tainted trials in Russia Updated: Aug-25-15 10:04 am
MOSCOW - The guilty verdict Tuesday for Crimean filmmaker Oleg Sentsov, who was convicted and sentenced to 20 years in a Russian maximum-security prison for an alleged terror conspiracy, follows a plethora of recent Russian trials that are widely seen as warnings to society not to question its Kremlin rulers.
- Activists want changes to police officers' bill of rights Updated: Aug-24-15 6:20 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Advocates for police accountability urged lawmakers on Monday to make substantial changes to the Maryland Law Enforcement Officers' Bill of Rights, but representatives for police asked lawmakers to maintain due process rights the law was designed to protect.
- Bahrain arrests former Shiite lawmaker after trip to Iran Updated: Aug-24-15 10:52 am
MANAMA, Bahrain - Bahrain detained a former lawmaker after he visited Iran on charges of financing terrorism and being involved in a bombing that killed two police officers, accusations the Gulf nation's largest opposition group dismissed Monday as "absolute nonsense."
- Johnson part of new, disruptive generation of activists Updated: Aug-22-15 6:19 am
SEATTLE - In 2013, Marissa Johnson graduated cum laude from Seattle Pacific University. She had taken a lot of theology classes, which deepened her faith.
- Bush talks tax-cutting in speech to tea party group Updated: Aug-21-15 3:38 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush is highlighting his experience cutting taxes and overhauling Florida's education system in an appeal to tea party conservatives.
- Accused activist Terry Bean to host fundraiser Updated: Aug-20-15 4:11 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - A longtime activist accused of having sex with a 15-year-old boy is hosting a fundraiser next month for the Multnomah County Democratic Party.
- Boaters protest near party at sport fishing activist's home Updated: Aug-20-15 2:35 pm
KENAI, Alaska - Members of a fisherman's coalition are planning to follow up a protest outside a sport fishing activist's home by gathering outside another Kenai River Classic event.