- US criticizes imprisonment of China media freedom activist Updated: Nov-30-15 5:07 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States is criticizing China's imprisonment of a media freedom activist who was sentenced to six years after the late addition of charges that his attorneys were not given a chance to defend against.
- Ron Scott, known for fight against police brutality, dies Updated: Nov-30-15 4:08 pm
DETROIT - Detroit civil rights activist Ron Scott, who was known for longtime efforts to deal with police brutality, has died. He was 68.
- Activists call on Gambia gov't to release environmentalists Updated: Nov-30-15 4:01 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Rights groups called on Gambia's government on Monday to release 33 environmental activists who were detained more than a week ago after staging a protest against sand mining in their coastal village.
- The Latest: US House leader won't pay for climate deal Updated: Nov-30-15 3:16 pm
PARIS - The latest news from the U.N. climate conference that began Monday in Paris. All times local:
- US activist heading home after serving Peru sentence Updated: Nov-30-15 1:38 pm
LIMA, Peru - American activist Lori Berenson is finally heading home to New York, two decades after being found guilty of aiding leftist rebels in Peru.
- Florida's 2 main parties turn in names for March primary Updated: Nov-30-15 11:55 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida's two main political parties are turning in the names of the candidates that will appear on the March primary ballot.
- US-backed rebels, rival insurgents clash in Syria, 20 killed Updated: Nov-30-15 10:50 am
BEIRUT - Fighting between U.S.-backed Syrian rebels and rival militants has killed more than 20 people in northern Syria over the past two days, opposition activists said on Monday.
- The Latest: Obama visits site of Paris concert attack Updated: Nov-29-15 7:16 pm
PARIS - The latest from the much-anticipated U.N. climate conference that gets underway in Paris on Monday. All times local:
- Gay rights activists march in New Delhi parade Updated: Nov-29-15 7:58 am
NEW DELHI - Hundreds of gay rights activists danced to drum beats and held colorful balloons as they marched in a parade in New Delhi on Sunday, celebrating what they call the diversity of gender and sexuality.
- Maldives police break up opposition protest for a 2nd day Updated: Nov-28-15 10:55 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Police in the Maldives dispersed opposition protesters for a second straight day Saturday, using tear gas and pepper spray and arresting more than a dozen demonstrators demanding the release of a former president and other jailed political leaders.
- Some key GOP activists in Ohio still wrestling with pick Updated: Nov-27-15 12:38 pm
CINCINNATI - The shopping days before the presidential nominating season begins are dwindling, leaving Republican activists in a GOP stronghold region of Ohio still checking the field's long list to choose the right candidate for them.
- Chinese activist sentenced to 6 years in jail Updated: Nov-27-15 1:31 am
BEIJING - A court in southern China sentenced a leading activist who organized rallies for media freedom to six years in prison Friday in what his lawyer described as an unfair trial with an extra criminal charge added at the last minute.
- Gambia leader denounces female genital mutilation Updated: Nov-26-15 9:44 am
DAKAR, Senegal - Gambia's president advocated banning female genital mutilation, giving hope to human rights activists who are urging Gambia to adopt a law against the practice.
- Burundi's government suspends 10 civic groups amid unrest Updated: Nov-23-15 3:28 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundi's government on Monday suspended the licenses of 10 non-governmental organizations over allegations they have been involved in anti-government activities.
- A boycott's birth: How the Missouri race protests began Updated: Nov-22-15 10:36 am
COLUMBIA, Missouri - On the day he met with black players for the University of Missouri's football team, graduate student Jonathan Butler hadn't eaten for six days.
- Indian Hindu activists take down floating cow exhibit Updated: Nov-22-15 6:54 am
JAIPUR, India - Right-wing Hindu activists have taken down an exhibit of a Styrofoam cow that was suspended in midair using a balloon, organizers of an art fair in western India and police said Sunday.
- UN: 729 human rights activists slain in Colombia since 1994 Updated: Nov-20-15 6:19 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - The United Nations says 729 human rights activists have been killed in Colombia in the past two decades. That's an average of nearly three a month.
- Journalists, activists face controversial trial in Morocco Updated: Nov-19-15 4:29 am
RABAT, Morocco - Seven journalists and activists are facing trial in Morocco in a case widely criticized by human rights groups as politically motivated.
- French climate march ban draws criticism Updated: Nov-18-15 3:10 pm
PARIS - Climate activists have reacted with dismay to the French government's decision to ban two scheduled mass marches across Paris and other French cities during crucial global climate change talks later this month.
- Burkina Faso victims seek answers from former torture site Updated: Nov-18-15 10:33 am
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso - A rundown colonial building in Burkina Faso that was once the headquarters of the presidential guard brings back horrible memories for Mousbila Sankara, who was among dozens of people who were imprisoned and tortured there. Some never made it out alive.
- Students get degrees after 16-year legal fight in Nigeria Updated: Nov-10-15 10:24 am
LAGOS, Nigeria - Sixteen years ago, Lanre Akinola completed academic requirements to receive a degree in statistics from a Nigerian university. But Akinola had taken on extracurricular activities: protesting against military dictatorship and filthy dorms.
- Ex-Georgia lawmaker sentenced to year and a day in prison Updated: Nov-09-15 2:18 pm
ATLANTA - A federal judge on Monday sentenced a former Georgia state representative and civil rights activist to a year and a day in prison for fraud.
- Indianapolis broadcaster, activist Amos Brown remembered Updated: Nov-08-15 4:19 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - As people remembered longtime radio host and Indianapolis icon Amos C. Brown, singer Stevie Wonder dedicated his concert to activist.
- Syrian-American who confronted Jeb Bush speaking at URI Updated: Nov-07-15 1:12 pm
SOUTH KINGSTOWN, Rhode Island - A Syrian-American activist who gained notoriety after confronting Jeb Bush at a recent campaign stop is speaking at the University of Rhode Island later this month
- Anti-US activist convicted of buying gun for 'revolution' Updated: Nov-05-15 6:10 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Jurors on Thursday convicted an anti-government activist on firearms charges after authorities said he sought out high-powered weaponry for a coming "second American revolution."