- Kate Shindle, the young head of Actors' Equity, reaches out Updated: Oct-06-15 10:20 am
NEW YORK - One of the most powerful people on Broadway has a corner office with a stunning view of Times Square. But there's a catch: The salary is lousy.
- Labor, civil rights activist Grace Lee Boggs dies at age 100 Updated: Oct-05-15 11:00 pm
DETROIT - Grace Lee Boggs, a longtime activist who was part of the labor, civil rights, black power, women's rights and environmental justice movements, died Monday at her Detroit home. She was 100.
- Workers attack Air France managers, forcing them to flee Updated: Oct-05-15 12:57 pm
PARIS - Union activists protesting nearly 3,000 proposed layoffs at Air France stormed the headquarters during a meeting Monday, zeroing in on two managers who had their shirts torn from their bodies, scaled a fence and fled under police protection.
- Russia launches new wave of air raids in Syria Updated: Oct-03-15 1:16 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Russian warplanes have attacked the Islamic State group and other insurgents in central and northern Syria with a wave of new airstrikes, Syrian and Russian military officials said Saturday as an activist group said Russia's air raids have killed 39 civilians over the three past days.
- Australia to deport Kansas-based anti-abortion activist Updated: Oct-03-15 12:17 pm
SYDNEY - An American anti-abortion activist is expected to be deported from Australia amid concerns that he could incite violence.
- The Latest: Hollande: Only 1 of Russia's raids hit IS Updated: Oct-02-15 3:03 pm
MOSCOW - The latest developments as Russia and other nations counter Islamic State militants in Syria. All times local:
- Australia to deport American anti-abortion activist Updated: Oct-02-15 3:09 am
SYDNEY - An American anti-abortion activist is expected to be deported from Australia, after the nation's highest court ruled Friday that he posed a threat to public order amid concerns he could incite violence against women.
- Kansas Democrats expected to pick veteran activist as leader Updated: Sep-30-15 8:01 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Democrats expect to pick a longtime Wichita-area activist as their new state chairman this weekend to concentrate on fundraising and boosting their numbers in the Legislature after the abrupt resignation of a leader who suggested rebranding the party.
- The Latest: Sheriff says it's been honor to serve citizens Updated: Sep-30-15 7:10 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - The latest on the grand jury investigation into the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office, which came under fire after a volunteer deputy fatally shot an unarmed man (all times local):
- China tries 2 activists for trying to form independent party Updated: Sep-29-15 6:44 am
BEIJING - Two Chinese activists involved in attempts to organize an independent political party pleaded not guilty in court Tuesday to the charge of subverting state power, their wives and a lawyer said.
- Hispanic Heritage Month event set at Nebraska Capitol Updated: Sep-29-15 5:01 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska is set to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with an event at the Capitol.
- Leaders pledge money, clout to achieve women's equality Updated: Sep-27-15 10:09 pm
UNITED NATIONS - World leaders pledged money and political clout to achieve equality for women by 2030 at a U.N. meeting Sunday co-chaired by China's President Xi Jinping, who has faced strong criticism for cracking down on women's rights activists.
- India clamping down on critics of Modi, activist groups Updated: Sep-27-15 1:20 am
NEW DELHI - It takes courage to accuse a powerful politician - a man who would go on to become India's prime minister - of encouraging riots against a minority. Police officer Sanjiv Bhatt did just that. And he says he is paying the price for it.
- Pope praises activists Day, Merton for shaping US values Updated: Sep-24-15 3:05 pm
WASHINGTON - In his speech to Congress, Pope Francis highlighted the contributions of four Americans he said helped shape fundamental values that will "endure forever in the spirit of the American people."
- Chinese leader to address UN on gender equality, vexing some Updated: Sep-24-15 4:08 am
BEIJING - Chinese leader Xi Jinping will preside this weekend over a U.N. conference on gender equality, which some activists say is galling given China's recent detentions of women's rights activists and its history of stopping people from attending U.N. meetings to discuss such issues.
- Experts and locals scrambling to document Syria's heritage Updated: Sep-23-15 2:38 am
BEIRUT - Scientists are slipping 3-D cameras into Syria to local activists and residents to scan antiquities. A U.S.-funded project aims to provide local conservators with resources to help safeguard relics. Inside Syria, volunteers scramble to document damage to monuments and confirm what remains.
- Leonardo DiCaprio says he's shedding fossil fuel investments Updated: Sep-22-15 4:59 pm
NEW YORK - Leonardo DiCaprio is joining a campaign to use investment decisions to fight global warming: He's planning to shed his own investments in fossil fuels, an activist group said Tuesday.
- Faith group, think tank address state spending priorities Updated: Sep-21-15 4:01 am
MIDDLEBURY, Vermont - Vermont religious leaders and a Montpelier think tank are teaming up for two more forums on state spending priorities.
- Activists say hunger strike over Chicago school has ended Updated: Sep-20-15 1:15 pm
CHICAGO - Activists have announced the end of a 34-day hunger strike over the fate of a Chicago neighborhood school, an effort that garnered national headlines when supporters disrupted public budget hearings held by Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
- AP Interview: Black Lives Matter skipping 2016 endorsement Updated: Sep-19-15 8:04 am
WASHINGTON - The Black Lives Matter network will skip a presidential endorsement but keep up its political activism by confronting candidates about the treatment of African-Americans in the United States, one of the group's founders says.
- Jerusalem's holiest site, a raw nerve in Mideast conflict Updated: Sep-17-15 3:21 pm
JERUSALEM - A rectangular hilltop compound in Jerusalem is ground zero of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Carly Fiorina draws interest from undecided Ohio Republicans Updated: Sep-17-15 2:34 pm
CINCINNATI - People ARE looking at former CEO Carly Fiorina. And some undecided Republican activists in swing-state Ohio like what they're seeing.
- 2 who brought down Confederate flag to speak at college Updated: Sep-16-15 4:01 am
SWANNANOA, North Carolina - The two people who took down the Confederate flag in South Carolina before legislators voted to officially remove it are speaking at Warren Wilson College as part of a series titled "My America, Whose America."
- Nun who vandalized uranium bunker resentenced to time served Updated: Sep-15-15 4:39 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - An 85-year-old nun and two fellow Catholic peace activists have been resentenced to time served for vandalizing a storage bunker that held much of the nation's bomb-grade uranium.
- Refugee surge to Europe raises concern about militants Updated: Sep-15-15 3:18 pm
PARIS - When Islamic State extremists lost control of a key crossroads town in northern Syria in June, some militants shed their jihadi garb and blended in with the flood of Syrians fleeing across the Turkish border. Since then, the exodus of Syrians and Iraqis toward Europe has surged - and Europeans opposed to taking in more refugees say that more than ever, they fear "disguised terrorists" in their midst.