- Activists criticize poll on offensiveness of Redskins' name Updated: May-27-16 5:59 pm
WASHINGTON - Native American leaders and activists criticized a recent national poll that found nine of 10 Native Americans aren't offended by the Washington Redskins' name.
- French protesters disrupt airport; gas shortages ease Updated: May-27-16 8:32 am
PARIS - Union activists disrupted the Marseille airport Friday and halted activity at half of the country's oil refineries in protests over changes to France's labor system, but nationwide gasoline shortages eased slightly after government intervention.
- In police cases, black activists push reforms outside court Updated: May-27-16 6:11 am
BALTIMORE - Black activists in Baltimore and beyond say they are disappointed but not discouraged after neither of the first two police officers to stand trial in the death of a man who was injured in the back of a police van was convicted.
- Clashes, oil blockades over France's economic future Updated: May-26-16 2:28 pm
PARIS - Volley after volley of tear gas poisoned the Paris air Thursday, as authorities struggled against nationwide strikes and a groundswell of public anger at a high-stakes government attempt to change the way France views work.
- The Latest: EDF staff join French labor protests Updated: May-26-16 2:08 pm
LE HAVRE, France - The Latest on French labor dispute (all times local):
- Gun supporters claim Katie Couric documentary deceptive Updated: May-26-16 7:00 am
WASHINGTON - Gun rights activists featured in a new documentary on the issue hosted by Katie Couric say it utilizes deceptive editing to misrepresent their response to a question from the news anchor.
- Authorities: Unruly group instigated violence at Trump rally Updated: May-25-16 8:05 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A day after a riot erupted outside a Donald Trump rally, Albuquerque officials blamed the downtown melee not on impassioned politics but on an unruly group intent on creating chaos in a city that has seen more than its share of violence.
- The Latest: Groups oppose GOP convention protest area Updated: May-25-16 5:50 pm
CLEVELAND - The Latest on the designated a route for protest marches during the Republican National Convention (all times local):
- Protest march route set for Republican National Convention Updated: May-25-16 12:32 pm
CLEVELAND - Cleveland has designated a route for protest marches during the Republican National Convention while leaving open the possibility that marches would be allowed outside the event zone surrounding the arena where it's being held.
- 'Grey's Anatomy' actor helps produce BET documentary Updated: May-24-16 11:31 am
NEW YORK - Actor Jesse Williams says he sees BET's documentary premiering Thursday on the Black Lives Matter movement as a time capsule capturing the conditions that led to the group's formation.
- Vietnam votes for rubber-stamp assembly before Obama visit Updated: May-22-16 11:05 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Just hours before President Barack Obama's first visit to Vietnam, the country voted Sunday in once-every-five-year elections for a rubber-stamp parliament whose membership has already been largely determined by the Communist Party.
- Vietnam frees jailed dissident priest ahead of Obama's visit Updated: May-21-16 10:59 am
BANGKOK - Vietnam granted early release from prison to a Catholic priest who is one of its most prominent dissidents, a move widely seen as a goodwill gesture before President Barack Obama arrives on an official visit late Sunday night.
- Kazakhstan arrests organizers of attempted protests Updated: May-21-16 7:48 am
BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan - A top Kazakhstan police official says attempts to hold demonstrations against a land-reform measure have been blocked and the prosecutor's office says activists were arrested for trying to organize them.
- Civil rights activist, Carter official Patricia Derian dies Updated: May-20-16 10:04 pm
Patricia M. Derian, who actively supported Mississippi public school desegregation and served as assistant secretary of state for human rights during the Carter administration, has died.
- Voices from Thailand: Reflections on 2-year coup anniversary Updated: May-20-16 9:11 am
BANGKOK - In the early evening of May 22, 2014, all TV screens in Thailand turned blue and up flashed an army emblem. That was the first sign of change. Suddenly, the country's army commander appeared to say he was now in charge.
- Supporters: Iran human rights activist gets 10-year sentence Updated: May-20-16 7:26 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - An already-imprisoned prominent human rights activist in Iran has been sentenced to 10 years in prison in a new trial, a ruling denounced Friday by the United Nations as it called for her immediate release.
- Singapore executes Malaysian convict hours after last appeal Updated: May-20-16 6:43 am
SINGAPORE - A Malaysian man convicted of murder in Singapore was executed Friday hours after the city-state's highest court rejected a last-minute appeal, police said.
- Activists criticize state's response to teen's death Updated: May-19-16 6:02 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - More than four months after a black teenager's death in state custody, activists delivered stacks of petitions to Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin's office Thursday calling for more action, saying the tragedy underscores flaws in the juvenile justice system.
- Egypt arrests rights activist; Amnesty condemns move Updated: May-19-16 2:47 pm
CAIRO - Egyptian authorities arrested on Thursday a well-known advocate for the rights of Egypt's Coptic Christians from his home in Cairo, his lawyer said, the latest in the government's crackdown on rights activists and dissidents.
- Professors group faults firing of Missouri professor Updated: May-19-16 12:36 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - An investigation by a national professors group has found that the University of Missouri Board of Curator likely bowed to political pressure when it fired an assistant professor over her role last year in a race-related student protest.
- Thousands of protesters seeking permits for Dem convention Updated: May-19-16 9:59 am
PHILADELPHIA - Groups representing thousands of activists and protesters have requested permits to march outside the Democratic National Convention in July.
- DC activist sues over freedom of information request Updated: May-18-16 6:36 pm
WASHINGTON - A District of Columbia neighborhood activist is suing the Department of Justice to try to get information on what happens to the thousands of people arrested in the city each year.
- Charge dismissed against New Jersey man who flew Trump flags Updated: May-18-16 1:33 pm
WEST LONG BRANCH, New Jersey - A judge on Wednesday dismissed charges against a New Jersey man who faced a fine for flying flags supporting Donald Trump.
- Kyrgyz authorities arrest opposition activist Updated: May-18-16 1:15 pm
BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan - Kyrgyzstan's security agency has arrested an opposition activist as part of a probe into the alleged plot to overthrow the government.
- Ex-Latin American leaders express concern over Venezuela Updated: May-18-16 10:40 am
MADRID - Ex-Spanish premier Jose Maria Aznar and 23 former Latin American leaders have a signed a declaration expressing concern over the perceived collapse of constitutional order in Venezuela and protesting alleged "political persecution" of opposition parties there.