- The Latest: Elephants give final Ringling Bros. performance Updated: May-01-16 9:32 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Latest on elephants performing for the last time at Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus (all times local):
- Iowa activist wants 'suicidal deer' sign removed Updated: May-01-16 5:35 pm
ST. ANSGAR, Iowa - An activist wants to persuade officials in northern Iowa to take down a deer crossing sign that warns about "suicidal deer."
- The Latest: Former congressman Hayes back as party chairman Updated: May-01-16 11:00 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on North Carolina Republican Party activists meeting Saturday to consider a petition to remove the state party's chairman (all times local):
- Legendary civil rights activist shares stories, experiences Updated: May-01-16 10:56 am
HOPKINSVILLE, Kentucky - Joan Trumpauer Mulholland experienced it all as an activist in the early 1960s. She was shot at and cursed, hunted by the Ku Klux Klan and disowned by her family.
- 3 detained in Bangladesh after stabbing death of Hindu man Updated: May-01-16 8:47 am
NEW DELHI - Police in Bangladesh detained three men Sunday, including the head of an Islamic school, in connection with the stabbing death of a Hindu tailor in an attack claimed by the Islamic State group.
- Jesuit priest, peace activist Daniel Berrigan dies at 94 Updated: Apr-30-16 10:01 pm
NEW YORK - The Rev. Daniel Berrigan, a Roman Catholic priest and peace activist who was imprisoned for burning draft files in a protest against the Vietnam War, died Saturday. He was 94.
- North Carolina Republican Party chairman removed from post Updated: Apr-30-16 8:14 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina Republican Party's first black state chairman was removed from his post Saturday, the climax of months of conflict with other party leaders who recently reprimanded him after deciding he exceeded his authority and tried to crash a GOP website.
- 2 behind Planned Parenthood videos rejecting plea deals Updated: Apr-29-16 4:32 pm
HOUSTON - Two anti-abortion activists indicted in connection with making undercover Planned Parenthood videos are rejecting plea deals offering them probation.
- US urges action by Bangladesh to prevent killings Updated: Apr-29-16 3:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry called on Bangladesh's leader to step up law enforcement to prevent a wave of killings targeting liberal voices, the State Department said Friday amid fears that the traditionally moderate South Asian nation is under threat from Islamic extremists.
- Cambodia: 5 rights activists helped hide politician's affair Updated: Apr-29-16 9:39 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - Cambodian authorities arrested five human rights workers Friday on accusations they tried to help cover up a woman's affair with the deputy leader of the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party. The action is the latest in a series by Prime Minister Hun Sen's government putting legal pressure on its critics and political opponents.
- Sri Lankan protest demands new probe of journalist's killing Updated: Apr-29-16 8:41 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Hundreds of journalists and media rights activists protested on Friday to demand Sri Lanka's new government start a fresh investigation into the abduction and killing of a prominent ethnic Tamil journalist 11 years ago, during the country's civil war.
- Giant Chinese zodiac sculptures are turning heads in Boston Updated: Apr-29-16 1:11 am
BOSTON - A dozen giant bronze animal heads representing the signs of the Chinese zodiac are stopping people in their tracks in downtown Boston and sparking conversations.
- Biden presses Iraq to not let political chaos upend gains Updated: Apr-28-16 5:39 pm
BAGHDAD - Vice President Joe Biden pressed Iraq on Thursday not to let its crippling political crisis upend hard-fought gains against the Islamic State group as he returned to the country that's come to symbolize America's relentless struggles in the Middle East.
- Texas' fetal tissue research questioned before court hearing Updated: Apr-28-16 5:19 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas legislators who passed one of the nation's toughest abortion laws turned their attention to fetal tissue research Thursday, ahead of a Houston court appearance by two anti-abortion activists on charges related to their filming of undercover videos at a Planned Parenthood clinic.
- Activists seek independent probe of Florida teens' drownings Updated: Apr-28-16 2:08 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - A coalition of activist groups is calling for an outside investigation of the drownings of three teenage girls who were fleeing from Florida sheriff's deputies.
- New killings in Bangladesh leave LGBT community full of fear Updated: Apr-28-16 11:36 am
NEW DELHI - The killing of two gay rights activists in the Bangladeshi capital has driven the country's already secretive and small gay community underground, wondering if they can trust a government that considers their status to be criminal, rights groups said.
- Community leaders, activists, to hold climate change rally Updated: Apr-28-16 12:43 am
EXETER, New Hampshire - Community leaders and activists will be gathering in Exeter, New Hampshire, to celebrate international and local action to meet the challenge of climate change.
- Activists pack license hearing for Ohio abortion clinic Updated: Apr-27-16 2:07 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Anti-abortion activists packed a hearing to determine the fate of an Ohio abortion clinic's license on Tuesday as the facility's operators argued they are meeting emergency requirements laid out in a 2013 law that has contributed to clinic closures around the state.
- Al-Qaida says it killed Bangladesh gay activist, friend Updated: Apr-26-16 3:06 pm
NEW DELHI - The Bangladeshi branch of al-Qaida claimed responsibility Tuesday for the killing of a gay rights activist and his friend, undermining the prime minister's insistence just hours earlier that her political opponents were to blame for the attack and for a rising tide of violence against secular activists and writers.
- 2 men including USAID employee killed in Bangladesh Updated: Apr-25-16 7:15 pm
NEW DELHI - Unidentified assailants fatally stabbed two men in Bangladesh's capital Monday night, including a gay rights activist who also worked for the U.S. Agency for International Development, police said, in the latest in a series of attacks targeting atheists, moderates and foreigners.
- India revokes visa for Germany-based Uighur activist Updated: Apr-25-16 5:42 am
NEW DELHI - India has revoked a tourist visa given to a Germany-based ethnic Uighur activist to attend an upcoming conference at the headquarters of the Tibetan government-in-exile in northern India, an official said Monday.
- Politicians descend on march to commemorate Freddie Gray Updated: Apr-24-16 6:32 pm
BALTIMORE - A march in Baltimore to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the death of Freddie Gray turned into an opportunity for political candidates to try to sway voters.
- Moldovan anti-government protesters scuffle with police Updated: Apr-24-16 2:34 pm
CHSINAU, Moldova - Protesters scuffled with police who fired tear gas at them Sunday during a march in the Moldovan capital attended by thousands who were demanding the resignation of the government and early elections. More than a dozen people were injured.
- Beyond music, Prince's legacy includes black activism Updated: Apr-24-16 1:36 pm
Prince accepted a standing ovation as he strolled out carrying a cane and rocking an Afro to present the 2015 Grammy for album of the year. Then he stole the show with a line that reminded everyone he was more than just a pop superstar; he was a black activist.
- Black Lives Matter gave him fame, but Baltimore isn't biting Updated: Apr-24-16 9:47 am
BALTIMORE - DeRay Mckesson, the Black Lives Matter activist turned mayoral candidate, is door-knocking on the streets of Charles Village. This is not the Baltimore of "The Wire," but rather a tidy neighborhood of pastel townhomes in the shadow of Johns Hopkins University.