- House election: Republicans challenge McCarthy for speaker Updated: Oct-08-15 10:12 am
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy is the front-runner in the race to become the next speaker, but he faces two Republican opponents who are trying to draw some of his support.
- New York mayor, who worked for Clinton, meets with Sanders Updated: Oct-06-15 4:16 pm
NEW YORK - New York City mayor and former Hillary Clinton campaign manager Bill de Blasio (dih BLAH'-zee-oh) has met with her rival Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.
- Obama begins selling trade agreement to Congress, public Updated: Oct-06-15 2:58 pm
WASHINGTON - Negotiations over the complex trade deal took more than five years. On Tuesday, President Barack Obama began what may be a similarly difficult task - selling the Trans-Pacific Partnership to Congress and the American public.
- Nevada lawmaker Jim Wheeler backs Cruz after Walker dropout Updated: Oct-06-15 12:40 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz is picking up an endorsement from a former member of Scott Walker's Nevada campaign team.
- Former Nevada Gov. Bob List endorses Marco Rubio Updated: Oct-05-15 8:17 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Former Nevada Gov. Bob List is endorsing Marco Rubio for president after the first candidate he backed dropped out of the race.
- Rand Paul announces 2 endorsements from Nevada Assembly Updated: Oct-01-15 8:30 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential hopeful Rand Paul is lining up support among freshman lawmakers in the Nevada Assembly.
- Wendy Davis formally endorsing Clinton presidential bid Updated: Sep-30-15 1:35 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Former state senator and failed Democratic gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis is formally endorsing Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential bid.
- Cruz announces endorsements of 41 Texas state lawmakers Updated: Sep-30-15 1:14 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Home-state presidential hopeful and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz says he's secured endorsements from 36 Republican Texas state representatives and five state senators.
- Bridgeport mayor ends re-election effort, backs Foster Updated: Sep-29-15 5:49 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch withdrew from the city's mayoral race on Tuesday and threw his support to Democratic one-time opponent Mary-Jane Foster in an effort to ultimately defeat former Mayor Joe Ganim in November.
- Chris Stewart endorses presidential candidate Marco Rubio Updated: Sep-28-15 7:13 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - U.S. Rep. Chris Stewart of Utah says he's endorsing Republican candidate Marco Rubio for president.
- North Dakota Lt. Gov. Drew Wrigley won't run for governor Updated: Sep-28-15 6:06 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Lt. Gov. Drew Wrigley announced Monday that he won't seek the Republican endorsement to be North Dakota's next governor.
- Tangled web surrounds United's aborted Atlantic City routes Updated: Sep-28-15 2:36 am
NEW YORK - United Airlines was given more than $100,000 in marketing incentives last year as part of a deal to start flights to Atlantic City International Airport. However, The Associated Press has learned that when the airline broke the agreement by abruptly canceling the money-losing routes early, officials appointed by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie decided not to enforce a contract provision that required United to repay the money.
- Scott Walker not endorsing after leaving presidential race Updated: Sep-25-15 3:44 pm
BEAVER DAM, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker doesn't yet want to endorse any of his fellow Republicans who remain in the race for president.
- In FIFA election, Africa's Hayatou won't endorse candidate Updated: Sep-22-15 4:02 pm
ZURICH - FIFA's African vice president Issa Hayatou said Tuesday he is not publicly backing a candidate in the election to succeed Sepp Blatter.
- As Georgia race heats up, Rubio gets congressman's support Updated: Sep-21-15 12:25 pm
ATLANTA - As the Republican presidential scramble heats up ahead of Georgia's March 1 primary, the state's elected leaders are starting to take sides, with Marco Rubio picking up support Monday from a conservative congressman from south Georgia.
- AP Interview: Black Lives Matter skipping 2016 endorsement Updated: Sep-19-15 8:04 am
WASHINGTON - The Black Lives Matter network will skip a presidential endorsement but keep up its political activism by confronting candidates about the treatment of African-Americans in the United States, one of the group's founders says.
- Louisiana's sheriffs back Billy Nungesser and Buddy Caldwell Updated: Sep-17-15 4:10 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's sheriffs are backing former Plaquemines Parish Billy Nungesser to be the state's next lieutenant governor, choosing him over three other competitors.
- Vet group hosting Trump lost nonprofit status Updated: Sep-16-15 5:32 pm
WASHINGTON - The Internal Revenue Service revoked the nonprofit status of the veterans benefit organization that hosted and sold tickets to a foreign policy speech by Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump aboard a retired U.S. battleship, The Associated Press has learned. The group's endorsement of Trump at the event also could raise legal problems under campaign finance laws.
- Hartford, Bridgeport mayors facing tough primary challenges Updated: Sep-13-15 10:42 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Municipal primary elections do not regularly attract a lot of attention, but this year is an exception in several Connecticut cities.
- Lawmaker: Port Authority reforms would prevent favor trading Updated: Sep-10-15 3:11 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey lawmakers shined a spotlight Thursday on possible corruption at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey that touches a former agency executive who is also an ally of White House contender Gov. Chris Christie.