- In August, some on Beacon Hill turn eyes to New Hampshire Updated: Aug-22-15 7:44 pm
BOSTON - It's the dog days of August and on Beacon Hill thoughts begin to turn not to the beach or Fenway Park, but to the frozen north and the nation's first presidential primary in neighboring New Hampshire.
- Paul, Bevin campaigns converge in central Kentucky Updated: Aug-21-15 8:27 pm
SOMERSET, Kentucky - Rand Paul and Matt Bevin were both little known businessmen with big political ambitions who decided to take on U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell.
- AP-NY--New York News Digest,ADVISORY, 1:30 pm Update, NY Updated: Aug-21-15 2:08 pm
NEW YORK - Members can send stories and tips to firstname.lastname@example.org for upstate and email@example.com for the New York metro area. The New York City desk can be reached at 212-621-1670. The Albany desk can be reached at 518-458-7821. The photo desk is reachable at 212-621-1902. AP stories, along with the photos that accompany them, can also be obtained from http://www.apexchange.com .
- AG Healey top Massachusetts Democrat to back Clinton Updated: Aug-20-15 4:58 pm
BOSTON - Attorney General Maura Healey says she's backing Hillary Clinton for president.
- Labor unions facing tricky choice in Democratic primaries Updated: Aug-19-15 6:04 pm
LAS VEGAS - The choice facing labor unions in the Democratic presidential race boils down to hearts or heads - Bernie Sanders, who embraces their forceful opposition to a big trade deal, or Hillary Rodham Clinton, who is a strong favorite for the nomination.
- Ex-South Carolina governor Hodges endorses Hillary Clinton Updated: Aug-19-15 4:49 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Former South Carolina Gov. Jim Hodges officially backed Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign Wednesday, saying the former secretary of state is to be commended for going from an adversary of Barack Obama in 2008 to an ardent supporter.
- AP Interview: Huckabee vows to shake up Mideast policies Updated: Aug-19-15 1:03 pm
JERUSALEM - Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee on Wednesday vowed to abandon key American policies in the Mideast if he is elected next year, endorsing positions that would put the U.S. at odds with its closest allies.
- Michigan attorney general endorses Jeb Bush for president Updated: Aug-19-15 10:54 am
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan's Republican attorney general is backing Jeb Bush for president.
- Clinton endorsed by 2 ex-South Carolina governors Updated: Aug-18-15 5:40 pm
ATLANTA - Hillary Rodham Clinton is getting endorsements from two former Democratic governors in the early-voting state of South Carolina, including one who helped lead President Barack Obama's first campaign.
- Tallian ends gubernatorial bid, leaving Gregg lone Democrat Updated: Aug-17-15 6:17 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - State Sen. Karen Tallian ended her campaign for governor Monday, leaving John Gregg the only Democrat remaining in the race.
- Alabama Gov. Bentley endorses Kasich of Ohio for president Updated: Aug-17-15 5:49 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley on Monday endorsed Ohio Gov. John Kasich for the Republican presidential nomination, saying he has the executive-level experience and compassion necessary to lead.
- GOP hopeful Kasich lands endorsement of Alabama's governor Updated: Aug-17-15 2:53 pm
Republican John Kasich (KAY-sik) has landed the endorsement of fellow governor Robert Bentley of Alabama, as Kasich seeks to build support for the GOP presidential nomination.
- AG Healey remains strong backer of Planned Parenthood Updated: Aug-13-15 4:10 pm
BOSTON - The renewed national focus on Planned Parenthood is highlighting Attorney General Maura Healey's strong support of the group.
- 6 unions endorse Democrat Ruben Kihuen in crowded House race Updated: Aug-13-15 1:13 pm
LAS VEGAS - Six labor unions are endorsing Democratic Nevada state Sen. Ruben Kihuen in the crowded race for Rep. Cresent Hardy's congressional seat.
- Bridenstine, Oklahoma Senate leader endorse Ted Cruz's bid Updated: Aug-12-15 4:12 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - U.S. Rep. Jim Bridenstine of Tulsa and Senate President Pro Tem Brian Bingman of Sapulpa are among the Oklahoma leaders endorsing U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz's presidential bid.
- Sen. Orrin Hatch endorses presidential candidate Jeb Bush Updated: Aug-12-15 1:34 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch is endorsing Jeb Bush for president ahead of the former Florida governor's campaign stop later this month in Salt Lake City.
- GOP Nevada Sen. Dean Heller endorses Jeb Bush for president Updated: Aug-12-15 9:34 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada Republican Sen. Dean Heller has endorsed Jeb Bush for president.
- Argentine president's successor candidate wins primaries Updated: Aug-10-15 3:01 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - President Cristina Fernandez's chosen successor easily won Argentina's open primaries, but the results Monday underscored that October's election is still up for grabs and voters remain deeply divided about who could best tackle the country's myriad economic problems.
- Suit revived vs. ex-Christie allies over bridge closings Updated: Aug-06-15 11:49 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A lawsuit against former allies of Gov. Chris Christie in connection with the George Washington Bridge lane closings was refiled Thursday, several weeks after a judge dismissed an earlier version.
- US Sen. Mike Rounds supports Huckabee's presidential bid Updated: Aug-06-15 3:37 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota U.S. Sen. Mike Rounds has endorsed former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee's bid for the White House in 2016.
- California pays off $14 billion in costly debt from 2004 Updated: Aug-05-15 7:17 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California closed an ugly chapter in its financial history on Wednesday by making its final payment on $14.2 billion in costly borrowing that plugged a budget deficit 11 years ago but eventually cost taxpayers about $5 billion in interest and fees.
- Aquino chooses Roxas as Philippine presidential candidate Updated: Jul-31-15 5:52 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine President Benigno Aquino III said Friday he had picked Interior Secretary Manuel "Mar" Roxas II as the administration candidate to succeed him in elections next year.
- Meeting unions, Clinton offers support for $12 minimum wage Updated: Jul-30-15 4:20 pm
SILVER SPRING, Maryland - Hillary Rodham Clinton on Thursday offered some support for a proposal in the Senate that would raise the federal minimum wage to $12 an hour, hinting that the higher rate sought by labor unions doesn't have enough support.
- GOP backs opponent of Republican incumbent attorney general Updated: Jul-28-15 6:28 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Republican Party of Louisiana is backing former Congressman Jeff Landry for the post of state's attorney general, announcing Tuesday that it was snubbing GOP incumbent Buddy Caldwell.