- Burundi implicates respected journalist in failed coup Updated: Nov-25-15 8:19 am
KIGALI, Rwanda - Buurndi's government is seeking to extradite a prominent journalist from Belgium over charges he played a role in a failed coup attempt against the government, the journalist said Wednesday.
- Vatican court rejects journalist's bid to drop leaks charges Updated: Nov-24-15 11:02 am
VATICAN CITY - A Vatican tribunal on Tuesday rejected a journalist's request to dismiss charges against him for publishing confidential documents as a trial opened in the Holy See's latest leaks scandal.
- 3 Russian journalists injured in Syria Updated: Nov-24-15 7:56 am
MOSCOW - The Russian Defense Ministry says three Russian journalists have been injured while traveling to front-line positions in Syria.
- Beijing court hears appeal by senior journalist Gao Yu Updated: Nov-23-15 10:57 pm
BEIJING - A Beijing court on Tuesday heard the appeal of a 71-year-old Chinese journalist imprisoned on a conviction of leaking state secrets, but made no immediate ruling, the journalist's lawyer said.
- Iran sentences US journalist to prison Updated: Nov-22-15 1:43 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran has sentenced detained Washington Post journalist Jason Rezaian to an unspecified prison term following his conviction last month on charges that include espionage, Iranian state TV reported Sunday.
- Austin Kiplinger, journalist and publisher, dies at 97 Updated: Nov-21-15 11:49 am
WASHINGTON - Austin Kiplinger, the longtime chairman and editor-in-chief of a financial publishing company that bore his name, has died, his son said. He was 97.
- Journalists, activists face controversial trial in Morocco Updated: Nov-19-15 4:29 am
RABAT, Morocco - Seven journalists and activists are facing trial in Morocco in a case widely criticized by human rights groups as politically motivated.
- Myanmar's fledgling journalists gird for historic election Updated: Nov-05-15 2:01 am
YANGON, Myanmar - Their predecessors suffered torture, imprisonment and death at the hands of a die-hard military regime for more than half a century. Now, Myanmar's journalists - newly fledged, muscle-flexing but also still apprehensive - are challenged with the first general election since 1960 to be covered with relative freedom.
- Zimbabwean journalists arrested for elephant poaching report Updated: Nov-03-15 1:01 pm
HARARE, Zimbabwe - Three journalists from a state-run weekly newspaper in Zimbabwe will be charged with slander for a front-page story that implicated an unnamed top police officer and other officials in fatal cyanide poisonings of more than 60 elephants by poachers, police said Tuesday.
- Turkey: 2 editors arrested accused of inciting uprising Updated: Nov-03-15 11:19 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish authorities on Tuesday arrested two editors of a political weekly on charges of inciting an armed uprising against the government for suggesting on the magazine's front page that the aftermath of Turkey's election would mark the start of a civil war.
- Indonesia convicts 2 British journalists for visa violations Updated: Nov-03-15 7:51 am
BATAM, Indonesia - An Indonesian court sentenced two British television journalists to two and a half months in jail on Tuesday for violating immigration regulations by working with tourist visas.
- Report: 5 Iranian journalists detained in ongoing crackdown Updated: Nov-03-15 4:20 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A semi-official news agency in Iran is reporting that authorities have detained five local journalists recently amid an ongoing crackdown on expression in the Islamic Republic.
- Blogger's widow urges safe houses for writers on death lists Updated: Nov-02-15 7:18 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The widow of a Bangladeshi-American atheist blogger killed earlier this year decried the Bangladesh government's failure to prosecute the perpetrators of deadly attacks on writers Monday and urged countries to provide safe houses for dozens more on death lists.
- Retired Nebraska, Iowa journalist Dick Herman dies at 87 Updated: Oct-31-15 3:41 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Dick Herman, a retired journalist and editor at Nebraska and Iowa newspapers, has died.
- Journalist files lawsuit against Baker City for retaliation Updated: Oct-31-15 10:01 am
BAKER CITY, Oregon - A journalist has filed a federal lawsuit against Baker City and its police chief, claiming officers retaliated against him after he wrote an editorial that was critical of the agency.
- BBC: Police used terrorism powers to seize reporter's laptop Updated: Oct-29-15 11:44 am
LONDON - British police used anti-terrorism laws to seize the computer of a reporter who has interviewed supporters of the Islamic State group, the BBC said Thursday.
- Portuguese journalists' group criticizes media gag order Updated: Oct-29-15 7:16 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's Journalists' Union says an injunction barring a Portuguese media group from reporting on a corruption investigation into a former prime minister is "a grave precedent."