- Despite wildfires, Omak schools start on time Updated: Aug-31-15 10:35 am
OMAK, Washington - Those giant wildfires burning in the Omak area won't delay the start of school.
- The Latest: Coe gets to work right away as IAAF president Updated: Aug-30-15 1:05 pm
BEIJING - The Latest from the IAAF world championships (all times local):
- Exelon mulls closure of unprofitable Quad Cities nuke plant Updated: Aug-30-15 12:01 pm
CHICAGO - The owner of Illinois' 11 nuclear reactors must decide next month whether to close its Quad Cities plant, one of three generating stations Exelon Corp. has said are in danger of closing if lawmakers don't approve a surcharge on electric bills to boost profits.
- Golf club owner agrees to pay $100,000 over manure incident Updated: Aug-29-15 2:04 pm
ESCONDIDO, California - The owner of a Southern California golf club, who raised a stink by spreading chicken manure on the course, has agreed to pay $100,000 to air pollution regulators.
- Missoula air quality 'very unhealthy,' Griz expected to play Updated: Aug-28-15 4:14 pm
HELENA, Montana - The air quality in Missoula was rated "very unhealthy" Friday due to smoke from forest fires in the region. Under University of Montana's athletic practice policy, student athletes would be restricted to activities that do not increase their breathing rate.
- Budget on Georgia nuclear plant level, uncertainty remains Updated: Aug-28-15 3:12 pm
ATLANTA - Georgia Power reported Friday the cost to build a nuclear plant was holding steady, but there's significant uncertainty whether those numbers will stick.
- Event to offer some Fresno drivers free emissions testing Updated: Aug-27-15 9:17 am
FRESNO, California - Certain drivers in Fresno will be able to get free vehicle emissions testing through a partnership between a regional pollution control agency and nonprofit clean air advocacy group.
- New Mexico monitoring wildfires' impact on air quality Updated: Aug-26-15 1:10 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - State health and environment officials are closely monitoring New Mexico air quality in the wake of wildfires still burning in the Pacific Northwest.
- Wildfire prompts some evacuations in Ferry County Updated: Aug-26-15 12:15 pm
REPUBLIC, Washington - Firefighters battling a 262-square mile wildfire near the town of Republic plan to ignite a back burn a couple of miles west of the Ferry County town to slow the advance of the flames.
- Smoke, air quality delays construction work in Ada County Updated: Aug-26-15 5:39 am
BOISE, Idaho - Smoke and bad air quality as a result of wildfires has delayed some construction work in Ada County.
- 190 poison oak cases treated during California firefight Updated: Aug-25-15 11:43 pm
SANTA MARGARITA, California - Nearly 200 firefighters have been treated for allergic reactions to poison oak while battling a stubborn blaze that has charred more than 5 square miles of dry brush on California's Central Coast, a fire official said Tuesday.
- China, US seek 'clean coal' agreement as industry struggles Updated: Aug-25-15 9:58 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - U.S. and China officials took a major step Tuesday toward an agreement to advance "clean coal" technologies that purport to reduce the fuel's contribution to climate change - and could offer a potential lifeline for an industry that's seen its fortunes fade.
- Record wildfire in Washington gets international, local help Updated: Aug-24-15 10:19 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - As Washington state's wildfires burned into the record books Monday, calls for help were answered from far and near.
- State cuts rebates for rich on hybrid, electric cars Updated: Aug-24-15 7:50 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - State lawmakers and air quality officials are cutting back rebates on hybrids and electric cars because hundreds of Californians claim it is a subsidy for the rich who make over $500,000 a year.
- Poor air quality causes EWU to cancel practice Updated: Aug-24-15 1:36 pm
CHENEY, Washington - Unhealthy air conditions prompted Eastern Washington University to cancel football practice on Monday morning.
- New Mexico officials issue health alert Updated: Aug-23-15 4:28 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico environmental officials are issuing a health alert due to smoke from wildfire and high winds.
- Kenyans struggle, teen from Eritrea wins marathon at worlds Updated: Aug-22-15 1:47 am
BEIJING - The mighty Kenyan marathoners wilted in the heat and humidity of Beijing, with the current world-record holder dropping out late and none of them finishing anywhere near the podium - or even in the top 20, for that matter.
- Unhealthy air from wildfires pushes Reno school kids inside Updated: Aug-21-15 6:50 pm
RENO, Nevada - The Washoe County Health District says the air quality around Reno and Sparks is in the "unhealthy range" because of smoke drifting in from California wildfires.
- Unhealthy air from wildfire smoke spreads throughout Montana Updated: Aug-21-15 1:55 pm
HELENA, Montana - Wildfire smoke continues to plague western Montana and has spread to the eastern part of the state as far as Broadus.
- Northern Plains once again in for some smoky skies Updated: Aug-21-15 10:29 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The Northern Plains region is once again in for some smoky skies.
- Maryland to roll out self-service vehicle inspection kiosks Updated: Aug-21-15 2:19 am
GLEN BURNIE, Maryland - Maryland officials are rolling out a self-service program for the state's Vehicle Emission Inspection Program.
- Beijing pollution awaits runners at worlds, just like '08 Updated: Aug-20-15 2:11 am
BEIJING - The drifting smoke from forest fires sometimes makes it difficult for marathoner Heather Lieberg to take a deep breath during her afternoon training runs in the hills of Montana.
- Colorado already has methane limits tougher than US proposal Updated: Aug-18-15 5:05 pm
DENVER - Strict limits on methane emissions passed a year ago in Colorado mean the state's energy producers will not be affected by the federal government's new plan to crack down on the powerful greenhouse gas.
- Western wildfires affect Utah County air quality Updated: Aug-18-15 12:56 pm
PROVO, Utah - Wildfires blazing across the Western states have left skies in Utah County looking a little hazy.
- Approval of Arctic drilling comes just before Obama's visit Updated: Aug-18-15 12:22 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration's approval of drilling for oil in the Arctic Ocean clashes with the message President Barack Obama will deliver when he visits Alaska to emphasize the dangers of climate change, some environmental groups say.