- Statehouse hearing to examine court ruling on emissions Updated: May-30-16 4:33 pm
BOSTON - Lawmakers are examining the impact of a recent court decision that found the state has failed to meet requirements for cutting greenhouse gas emissions.
- Officials warn of bad smog levels in some areas of state Updated: May-28-16 8:43 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire environmental officials expect air pollution concentrations on Saturday to reach unhealthy levels for those with asthma and other lung ailments.
- Official asked utility if it wanted help to quash order Updated: May-27-16 10:52 pm
LOS ANGELES - A California oil and gas official offered to try to get the governor's office to quash an order from air pollution regulators that was aimed at a utility responsible for a massive gas leak, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.
- State approves air permits for Marathon's Detroit refinery Updated: May-27-16 12:30 pm
DETROIT - The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality has approved two new air permits for Marathon's refinery in southwest Detroit.
- Fairbanks borough air pollution levels worst in US Updated: May-27-16 8:57 am
FARIBANKS, Alaska - Data show air pollution in the Fairbanks North Star Borough remains at the highest levels in the nation and has failed to show significant air quality improvement.
- Air quality waning issued for New Jersey Updated: May-27-16 6:26 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - Officials are warning that the concentration of pollution in the air across New Jersey could become unhealthy for some people.
- Ladies and gentlemen: Stop your engines en route to Indy 500 Updated: May-26-16 10:48 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Officials are urging people headed to the Indianapolis 500 to limit idling of their vehicles in effort to improve air quality in central Indiana.
- Demand plummets for California pollution credits Updated: May-25-16 8:51 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's ambitious efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions are taking a hit as demand has plummeted for pollution credits that are supposed to fund the initiative.
- Air quality advisory issued for NYC area Updated: May-25-16 7:15 am
NEW YORK - The state Department of Environmental Conservation has issued an air quality health advisory for the New York City area.
- Mexico City issues 6th smog alert but lifts it after rain Updated: May-24-16 10:22 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico City officials issued their sixth pollution alert of the year Tuesday, but lifted it a few hours later after thunderstorms reduced pollution in the skies above the capital.
- State senator faces fine for smoking in Capitol building Updated: May-24-16 10:21 pm
SALEM, Oregon - A state senator may be facing a $500 fine for smoking in his Capitol office.
- Judge: Substantial progress in Volkswagen emissions talks Updated: May-24-16 2:48 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Volkswagen and attorneys for vehicle owners affected by the company's emissions cheating scandal are on target to meet a June deadline for a final settlement proposal, a federal judge said Tuesday.
- The Latest: Judge: Substantial progress in Volkswagen talks Updated: May-24-16 11:54 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The Latest on settlement talks in the Volkswagen emissions cheating scandal (all times local):
- NY lawmakers propose codifying renewable energy goals Updated: May-24-16 12:39 am
ALBANY, New York - A dozen New York lawmakers have introduced legislation to codify Gov. Andrew Cuomo's goal of eliminating human-produced greenhouse gas emissions statewide by 2050, replacing fossil fuels with renewable energy.
- DEP official's private email had urged groups for 'pushback' Updated: May-23-16 6:36 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - In an email that precipitated his resignation, Gov. Tom Wolf's environmental protection secretary criticized environmental advocates for a lack of "pushback" against certain bills and said they were "without influence."
- Oregon officials clamp down on lead in Portland air Updated: May-23-16 3:43 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - In a significant turnaround, Oregon officials are clamping down on lead levels in Portland's air.
- Panel approves air quality plan for 3 Muscatine companies Updated: May-21-16 4:04 pm
MUSCATINE, Iowa - A state panel has approved a plan under which three Muscatine County companies will take steps to limit emissions that contribute to air pollution.
- Hearings set on proposed coal-export terminal in Longview Updated: May-21-16 11:08 am
LONGVIEW, Washington - Residents can weigh in on a coal-export terminal proposed near Longview at upcoming public hearings.
- New Hampshire a big step closer to getting $236M from Exxon Updated: May-20-16 2:44 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire is a big step closer to getting a $236 million judgment after the U.S. Supreme Court said this week it wouldn't hear Exxon Mobil's appeal regarding its use of a gasoline additive that contaminated groundwater in the state.
- VA hospital closes operating rooms due to air duct particles Updated: May-20-16 9:48 am
NORTHPORT, New York - All five operating rooms at a Long Island veterans hospital are closed due to sand-sized black particles falling from air ducts.
- Gov. directs cease and desist order to glass company Updated: May-20-16 12:38 am
SEATTLE - Oregon Gov. Kate Brown on Thursday ordered a Portland glass company stop using numerous air pollutants after monitoring at a nearby daycare showed lead levels four times higher than the 24-hour benchmark.
- MPCA moves to shut down metal shredder on Mississippi River Updated: May-19-16 7:26 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is trying to revoke the air quality permit from a Minneapolis scrap metal company, saying the business has misled regulators and is putting high levels of metals into the air over the city's north side.
- Canada regulators OK pipeline expansion project Updated: May-19-16 7:16 pm
SEATTLE - Canada energy regulators on Thursday recommended approval of a pipeline-expansion project that would dramatically increase the number of oil tankers moving through the waters between the U.S. and Canada.
- Utah hearing on federal coal-leasing reform draws hundreds Updated: May-19-16 6:35 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Coal miners and their supporters came out in force to a public hearing Thursday in Salt Lake City, blasting a moratorium on federal coal leases as the latest attack in a war on coal that unfairly blames fossil fuels for climate change and air quality problems.
- Pennsylvania's carbon-cutting plan will await US court fight Updated: May-19-16 12:45 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf's administration isn't planning to meet the first deadline for states to submit compliance reports under President Barack Obama's plan to curtail greenhouse gas emissions from power plants.