- Community group addresses Adirondack 'poop problem' Updated: May-28-16 9:10 am
WILMINGTON, New York - A community group is addressing what it calls a "poop problem" in the Adirondacks by providing portable toilets at popular trailheads in the High Peaks region.
- Man threatened with hefty fines for American flag display Updated: May-26-16 4:51 am
CUMMING, Georgia - A Forsyth County man whose son serves in the U.S. Coast Guard is upset after he says his homeowners association forced him to stop displaying American flags on his property or else face hefty fines.
- NY labor, faith groups back voting, election changes Updated: May-23-16 1:18 pm
ALBANY, New York - A new coalition of community organizations, faith groups and labor unions says New York can address government corruption by tightening campaign finance rules while making it easier to vote.
- Community groups want role in New Orleans jail reforms Updated: May-21-16 12:13 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A coalition of prison reform advocates and civil rights groups is asking a federal judge to create a community oversight board to investigate complaints about New Orleans' troubled jail.
- Students develop combination backpack-jacket for homeless Updated: May-21-16 9:01 am
FREDERICK, Maryland - Haroon Pasha said he learned during a hajj pilgrimage what it's like to have only what he could carry.
- EPA, 2 other agencies skip Bridgeton meeting due to threats Updated: May-17-16 10:18 am
BRIDGETON, Missouri - The Environmental Protection Agency and two other federal agencies canceled plans for representatives to attend a community group's meeting about an underground landfill fire that's smoldering several hundred feet from buried nuclear waste after someone posted threats on the group's Facebook page.
- Providence to hold 1st expo to promote summer learning Updated: May-14-16 9:18 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The mayor of Providence is hosting an event to showcase local community organizations that offer diverse, fun and educational summer programs for the city's children.
- The Latest: Another website says it will sell Zimmerman gun Updated: May-12-16 4:41 pm
SANFORD, Florida - The Latest on George Zimmerman to auction gun used in Trayvon Martin case (all times local):
- Court hears arguments against Phoenix freeway project Updated: May-11-16 9:11 pm
PHOENIX - Community groups and an American Indian tribe say transportation officials failed to follow federal environmental law in the planning of a new Phoenix-area freeway, attorneys said Wednesday.
- $7M Burnett family trust to go to Dallas Center groups Updated: May-07-16 4:15 pm
DALLAS CENTER, Iowa - A family trust worth about $7 million will go this year to organizations in and around Dallas center, a Des Moines suburb of about 1,600 people.
- 100-year-old Central City theater to reopen after 2 years Updated: May-05-16 4:52 pm
CENTRAL CITY, Nebraska - A 100-year-old theater in Central City is set to reopen after two years of not operating.
- Lawmakers to review grants in wake of chairman's resignation Updated: May-04-16 6:20 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island lawmakers are reviewing how they distribute grants to community organizations in the wake of the resignation of the House finance chairman.
- Denver suburb uses pot sales tax revenue to help homeless Updated: May-03-16 2:35 pm
AURORA, Colorado - The Denver suburb of Aurora is using recreational marijuana sales tax revenue to help the homeless.