- Stocks gain as European central bank says it's ready to act Updated: Sep-03-15 4:42 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks moved slightly higher Thursday as markets calmed after a recent bout of turmoil. Investors were encouraged by comments from European Central Bank policymakers, who said they were willing to provide more stimulus to the region's economy, if needed.
- The Latest: ECB's Draghi says inflation target must stand Updated: Sep-03-15 9:22 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - The latest on the European economy as the European Central Bank meets to discuss its monetary policy (all times local):
- Q&A: What are the signs of a 'bear market' for stocks Updated: Sep-02-15 3:17 pm
The stock market's sharp downturn in recent weeks has pulled the three major U.S. stock indexes into what is known as a "correction." But when does a market correction effectively end a bull market and usher in a full-blown bear market?
- A Q&A with Wall Street's top psychiatrist on market turmoil Updated: Aug-28-15 12:48 pm
NEW YORK - When it seems like the stock market has lost its mind, big banks and investment firms often turn to one particular psychiatrist: Richard Peterson, CEO of MarketPsych, a firm that applies research from behavioral science to financial markets.
- Japan reports inflation, household spending soften in July Updated: Aug-28-15 2:16 am
TOKYO - The backdrop to the wild drama in financial markets over the past few weeks is a less dramatic but more daunting reality: the deep-seated challenges for sustaining long-term growth, especially for aging economies like Japan's.
- You can't control much, but you can control investment fees Updated: Aug-27-15 2:13 pm
NEW YORK - Do the stock market's big swings have you feeling helpless?
- Fed official says September rate hike 'less compelling' Updated: Aug-26-15 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - The head of the New York Federal Reserve Bank said Wednesday he's less inclined to support a Fed rate hike in September amid recent global turmoil, including falling oil prices and a slowdown in China.
- Despite stock fall, financial health of many is still solid Updated: Aug-26-15 10:10 am
WASHINGTON - Many Americans have just absorbed a financial beating - at least as measured by their stock holdings. It's the kind of blow that can feed a sense of helplessness about retirement, college savings and higher-than-expected bills.
- The Latest: Dow fell more than 600 points from day's peak Updated: Aug-25-15 5:13 pm
NEW YORK - The latest on the global financial market turmoil (all times local):
- As stock prices sink, ordinary Americans keep their heads up Updated: Aug-25-15 6:55 am
WASHINGTON - Even as anxious investors send stock prices plunging, many Americans are sounding a rather different note:
- Stay the course: Fund managers hold steady as markets tumble Updated: Aug-24-15 5:44 pm
NEW YORK - When the stock market plunges, it's natural to want to do something, anything.
- Why stocks are tumbling 6 years into the bull market Updated: Aug-24-15 8:01 am
NEW YORK - Well, that was fun while it lasted.
- Japan's finance minister warns China on currency moves Updated: Aug-21-15 5:37 am
TOKYO - Japanese Finance Minister Taro Aso said Friday that recent moves by China to allow its currency to depreciate are a concern and could pose problems for Tokyo.
- Hancock execs ringing bell to open Nasdaq Aug. 25 Updated: Aug-20-15 4:07 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - Executives with Mississippi-based Hancock Holding Company are slated to ring the opening bell for the Nasdaq stock market on Aug. 25.
- TJX rises after reporting strong 2Q results, lifting outlook Updated: Aug-18-15 4:31 pm
FRAMINGHAM, Massachusetts - The parent of off-price retailers T.J. Maxx and Marshalls says more shoppers are coming to its stores, and its shares climbed 7 percent after it raised its outlook.
- In a slow-growth world, technology stocks are trending again Updated: Aug-14-15 5:13 pm
NEW YORK - Technology stocks are trending big-time as investors latch on to innovative companies racing ahead in a slow-growth world.
- Alternative-energy funds are better at absorbing oil's spill Updated: Aug-06-15 4:13 pm
NEW YORK - Even as the tumble in oil prices pummels the industry, one small -- and perhaps surprising -- group of energy stock funds has held up better than its peers: those investing in solar, wind and other alternative-energy sources.
- Who are the stock market heavyweights? Updated: Aug-05-15 6:04 pm
NEW YORK - At $654 billion, Apple is the stock market's heavyweight.
- Apple slump deepens on iPhone, China concerns Updated: Aug-04-15 6:22 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple is slumping as the usually high-flying tech stock struggles with the burden of raised expectations.