- Fortress closing major hedge fund, parting with manager Updated: Oct-13-15 1:07 pm
NEW YORK - Fortress Investment Group LLC is closing a major hedge fund and parting ways with the money manager who ran it amid the turmoil that has roiled financial markets around the world.
- US stocks are mixed as investors assess earnings, deals Updated: Oct-13-15 12:26 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks are mixed on Tuesday as investors assess the latest deal news and company earnings reports. Twitter rose after announcing that it would lay off staff as it strives to turn a profit. Ryder System, a transportation company, fell sharply after lowering its profit forecast for the third quarter.
- Few original Brownback cabinet secretaries remain Updated: Oct-13-15 10:53 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Dennis Taylor throws on a headset and begins the call.
- Grain higher, livestock mixed Updated: Oct-13-15 10:49 am
CHICAGO - Grain futures were higher in early trading Tuesday on the Chicago Board of Trade.
- Abandoned Hamtramck house to become floral installation Updated: Oct-13-15 4:10 am
HAMTRAMCK, Michigan - The steady hum of freeway traffic flows down I-75 as a nearby house, forgotten by time, sits empty.
- EMC, VMWare, Eli Lilly are big market movers Updated: Oct-12-15 4:39 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks that moved substantially or traded heavily Monday on the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq Stock Market:
- UN appeals for $86M in food aid for Zimbabwe Updated: Oct-12-15 1:41 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations has issued an urgent appeal for $86 million in food aid for Zimbabwe.
- Idaho potato crop high in quality, but prices drop Updated: Oct-11-15 7:37 pm
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - Eastern Idaho potato farmers had a strong crop this year, but a recent drop in prices has some growers concerned.
- Irish banker at center of scandal arrested in Massachusetts Updated: Oct-11-15 5:41 pm
BOSTON - A man at the center of Ireland's greatest banking scandal has been arrested in Massachusetts and faces potential extradition to his homeland.
- Sleeper issue in Mississippi election? Transportation money Updated: Oct-10-15 5:56 pm
MARKS, Mississippi - For Gaylon Reed, the choice is stark - break the law or let his rice crop rot in the field.
- Nobel Peace Prize boosts struggling Tunisian democracy Updated: Oct-09-15 4:09 pm
TUNIS, Tunisia - It was the fall of 2013 and Tunisia's newfound democracy was in grave danger. The assassination of a left-wing politician had prompted the opposition to walk out of the constitutional assembly. The government was paralyzed, the constitution unfinished and the country on the brink of war.
- Central bank says Malaysian fund broke forex rules, must pay Updated: Oct-09-15 11:13 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia's central bank said Friday a debt-laden state investment fund violated foreign exchange rules and must repatriate $1.83 billion it used abroad.
- IMF says Iceland has repaid its remaining debt Updated: Oct-09-15 10:41 am
LONDON - The International Monetary Fund says Iceland has repaid all of its remaining obligations - ahead of schedule - as the island nation presses on with its recovery following its economic collapse seven years ago.
- Baker culinary student wins top state award Updated: Oct-09-15 5:39 am
PORT HURON, Michigan - Calie Nelson likes food.
- Global worries kept Fed from hiking rates in September Updated: Oct-08-15 2:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve officials were almost ready to raise interest rates in September but held off because of China's economic slowdown and its potential to derail U.S. growth and inflation.
- Holiday sales seen rising 3.7 percent Updated: Oct-08-15 10:03 am
NEW YORK - Americans are expected to spend at a slower pace than last year during the crucial winter holidays, weighed down by sluggish wage growth and other factors, according to the nation's largest retail industry trade group.
- Man gets 2 years for defrauding credit union out of millions Updated: Oct-08-15 2:57 am
CLEVELAND - A northeastern Ohio man was sentenced to two years in federal prison for conspiring to defraud a credit union out of more than $3.7 million.
- China foreign exchange reserves fall $43.3B in September Updated: Oct-08-15 1:11 am
HONG KONG - China's foreign exchange reserves shrank again last month in a sign the country's central bank continues to support the currency's exchange rate after a surprise devaluation. But the smaller size of September's fall indicates receding pressure on the currency.
- IMF sees recession for Latin America on commodities shock Updated: Oct-07-15 6:21 pm
LIMA, Peru - Latin America's economy is likely to go into recession this year for the first time since the end of the global financial crisis as China's slowdown lessens demand for the region's commodities, threatening to undo recent progress in reducing poverty, the International Monetary Fund said Wednesday.
- American Airlines crew talks about flight with pope Updated: Oct-07-15 4:47 pm
FORT WORTH, Texas - It was an airplane flight that changed Jeff Gross's life.
- US experts warn plutonium stocks could soar in East Asia Updated: Oct-07-15 4:35 am
WASHINGTON - Experts warn that Northeast Asia could see a dangerous growth in stocks of weapons-usable plutonium - and U.S. lawmakers say Obama administration policies could be making matters worse.
- Rio Olympics cutting costs with Brazil deep in recession Updated: Oct-06-15 1:37 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Olympic organizers, faced with the reality of a country deep in recession, are trimming costs to keep their budget balanced.
- NY comptroller: Wall Street profits hit $11.3B in 6 months Updated: Oct-06-15 1:14 pm
ALBANY, New York - The securities industry in New York City tallied $11.3 billion in profits during the first half of 2015, higher than in the past three years, while also adding jobs last year for the first time since 2011, the state comptroller reported Tuesday.
- US Treasury bill rates dip; 3-month bill at zero percent Updated: Oct-05-15 5:30 pm
WASHINGTON - Interest rates on short-term Treasury bills fell in Monday's auction with rates on three-month bills dropping to the lowest level on record.
- Bernanke defending Fed actions to battle recession Updated: Oct-05-15 2:37 pm
WASHINGTON - Former Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke says the U.S. economy is outperforming Europe at the moment because the Fed moved more quickly and aggressively to fight the 2008 financial crisis than Europe did.