- Monarch solution: Hagerstown garden to help butterflies Updated: May-01-16 9:01 am
FREDERICK, Maryland - It's a small garden as public gardens go, but Sandy Sagalkin hopes it has a big impact on the public.
- Iraq says oil exports, revenues increase in April Updated: May-01-16 6:32 am
BAGHDAD - Iraq says April crude oil exports have increased by 2.3 percent from the previous month, filling cash-strapped coffers amid an acute economic crisis.
- Science of addiction holds promise for fight Updated: May-01-16 3:00 am
ORLANDO, Florida - He was 40 years old, a father of three and an Orlando house painter, clean and sober for eight years. One night last summer, he climbed into his truck, stuck a needle in his arm and injected himself with what would be his final dose of heroin.
- University of Delaware welcomes 53 new spring lambs Updated: Apr-30-16 9:01 am
NEWARK, Delaware - Larry Armstrong has been around lambs his entire life, but it still doesn't get any easier prepping them for market, emotionally and physically.
- Gov: Puerto Rico braces for lawsuits as major default looms Updated: Apr-29-16 7:00 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's governor said Friday that the U.S. territory is bracing for multiple lawsuits as a major default looms over a $470 million bond payment.
- US stocks hit by health care woes but avoid bigger losses Updated: Apr-29-16 4:50 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks fell Friday as health care and technology companies continued to report weak first-quarter results, but thanks to some late buying, they managed to avoid major losses.
- Molina Healthcare and Seagate skid, Amazon surges Updated: Apr-29-16 4:24 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks that moved substantially or traded heavily Friday on the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq stock market:
- Markets Right Now: Stocks end slightly lower on Wall Street Updated: Apr-29-16 4:10 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on global financial markets (all times local):
- Weekly Summary Corporate dividends, name changes, new listings Updated: Apr-29-16 3:15 pm
NEW YORK - Changes announced in corporate dividends Apr. 25-Apr. 29.
- Unexpected friendship forms in Kansas City hospice Updated: Apr-29-16 2:23 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Jen Moss took to Jody Wooton from the first moments they met.
- Puerto Rico reports 1st US Zika-related death amid outbreak Updated: Apr-29-16 1:52 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico announced Friday that it has recorded the first Zika-related U.S. death amid an outbreak of the mosquito-borne virus in the U.S. territory.
- Engineered timber could be boon to wood products industry Updated: Apr-29-16 1:38 pm
EUGENE, Oregon - Solid as steel. Sturdy as concrete.
- Portugal wins more time for recovery after rating decision Updated: Apr-29-16 12:44 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal and the rest of the eurozone could breathe a sigh of relief Friday after international ratings agency DBRS said it wasn't lowering Portuguese sovereign debt to junk status - a feared move that likely would have sparked a fresh bout of international jitters about the soundness of the shared currency.
- Canadian dollar rises above 80 cent US mark Updated: Apr-29-16 12:43 pm
TORONTO - The Canadian dollar has hit the 80 cent U.S. mark for the first time since last summer, trading at its strongest level since last June.
- Eurozone economy regains size of 2008 but remains shaky Updated: Apr-29-16 10:19 am
LONDON - It's been a long and tortuous journey, but the eurozone economy is finally back to the size it was before the global financial crisis.
- Biden presses Iraq to not let political chaos upend gains Updated: Apr-28-16 5:39 pm
BAGHDAD - Vice President Joe Biden pressed Iraq on Thursday not to let its crippling political crisis upend hard-fought gains against the Islamic State group as he returned to the country that's come to symbolize America's relentless struggles in the Middle East.
- Audit: Montana financial statements error-free Updated: Apr-28-16 5:26 pm
HELENA, Montana - A new audit released this week says Montana's financial statements are error-free this time - unlike a year ago when an audit revealed scores of mistakes and cited a lack of internal controls that could have exposed the errors sooner.
- EU in trouble as Eurosceptic parties gain in strength Updated: Apr-28-16 11:50 am
VIENNA - Even before a vehemently anti-EU party won strong support in Austria, the European Union's top official acknowledged that the 28-nation bloc was in trouble.
- EXCHANGE: Companies look for ways to keep Millennials Updated: Apr-28-16 6:34 am
CRYSTAL LAKE, Illinois - When searching for a job after college, Kyle Swenson didn't want location to determine where he would begin his career, a decision he admits not many of his friends would make.
- Japan central bank holds fire on fresh monetary stimulus Updated: Apr-28-16 3:59 am
TOKYO - Japan's central bank stunned financial markets Thursday with a decision not to splash out still more monetary stimulus for the ailing economy - apart from zero-interest loans for an earthquake zone.
- While leaving US rates unchanged, Fed keeps an eye overseas Updated: Apr-28-16 1:03 am
WASHINGTON - When the Federal Reserve chose not to raise its key interest rate, it nevertheless made clear that its next move will be another increase. That stance puts it at odds with other major central banks, which are doing the reverse - seeking to ease credit to spur lending.
- Japan's central bank leaves monetary policy mostly unchanged Updated: Apr-27-16 11:35 pm
TOKYO - Japan's central bank left its unprecedented monetary stimulus mostly unchanged in a policy meeting Thursday, defying speculation it would open the taps further to boost growth.
- The Latest: SC Senate passes $2B borrowing bill for roads Updated: Apr-27-16 7:31 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Latest on the Senate plan to get more money to South Carolina roads (all times local):
- Beshear says Bevin is abusing authority as governor Updated: Apr-27-16 5:53 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Saying Gov. Matt Bevin had declared war on him and his family, former Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear responded with a blistering critique of the new administration on Wednesday that included allegations of "selling state government to the highest bidder."
- Economic watchdog warns on UK leaving European Union Updated: Apr-27-16 6:15 am
LONDON - The head of the global economic forum OECD warned Britain that leaving the European Union would be tantamount to taxing its citizens - another in a growing cavalcade of cautionary advice ahead of a June 23 referendum on membership in the 28-nation bloc.