- Brazil's economic downturn deepens with further GDP drop Updated: Dec-01-15 4:57 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Latin America's largest economy has shrunk even more than expected, increasing fears about the well-being of a nation hammered by falling commodity prices and a massive corruption scandal.
- Demand for farm loans surges amid low crop, cattle prices Updated: Dec-01-15 4:45 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - The nation's net farm income is the lowest since 2002, and with another year of low commodity prices, demand for agriculture loans is surging as farmers struggle to make ends meet.
- Stocks advance in solid start to December trading Updated: Dec-01-15 4:44 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks started off December on a strong note, helped by improving economic data from Japan and Europe as well as hopes that the European Central Bank will expand its stimulus program. Trading remained relatively quiet ahead of the release later this week of the U.S. government's monthly jobs survey and a Federal Reserve meeting later this month.
- AP EXPLAINS: Puerto Rico's struggle with $72B of public debt Updated: Dec-01-15 3:33 pm
Puerto Rico is staggering under a $72 billion public debt load that its governor has said the U.S. territory cannot pay and must restructure. The island has missed a debt payment and its worsening economic crisis has spooked investors who fear it's headed toward default, with no options for a bailout or bankruptcy declaration. Here's a brief explanation of how Puerto Rico accumulated so much debt, how its territorial status complicates matters and how it could emerge from a nearly decade-long economic slump.
- Puerto Rico makes debt payment, warns of dwindling funds Updated: Dec-01-15 2:47 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico narrowly avoided a multimillion-dollar default on Tuesday by announcing a last-minute bond payment while warning that a deepening financial crisis has forced the government to divert money slated for future debt payments to avoid a shutdown of basic services.
- Puerto Rico makes debt payment Updated: Dec-01-15 12:37 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico has narrowly avoided a multimillion-dollar default by announcing a last-minute bond payment.
- US factory activity drops in Nov.; first decline in 3 years Updated: Dec-01-15 12:24 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. factory activity plummeted last month to the lowest level in more than six years, with a stronger dollar and low oil prices cutting new orders and hurting production.
- Westinghouse CEO want next generation nuclear reactor Updated: Dec-01-15 11:27 am
CRANBERRY, Pennsylvania - Westinghouse Electric Co.'s CEO Danny Roderick in January challenged his employees to come up with the next big thing in nuclear energy - the next generation reactor.
- TD Ameritrade switching its stock listing to the Nasdaq Updated: Dec-01-15 10:39 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - Online brokerage TD Ameritrade is moving its stock listing to the Nasdaq from the New York Stock Exchange.
- Grain higher, livestock mixed Updated: Dec-01-15 10:31 am
CHICAGO - Grain futures were higher Tuesday in early trading on the Chicago Board of Trade.
- European Central Bank may surprise with size of new stimulus Updated: Dec-01-15 6:49 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Christmas is coming - and some investors are already convinced they will unwrap an early present Thursday in the form of more economic stimulus from the European Central Bank.
- Fed moves to bar bailouts of failing firms Updated: Nov-30-15 6:03 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve officials have moved to prevent the central bank from bailing out failing companies, a power it exercised during the 2008 financial crisis.
- Taiwan says it has swapped convicted spies with China Updated: Nov-30-15 8:45 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Old foes China and Taiwan have swapped high-level convicted spies in a sign of goodwill linked to the first meeting ever between their presidents.
- Urbana chef taps family members for his kitchen staff Updated: Nov-30-15 8:38 am
URBANA, Illinois - There's soul food cooking in the kitchen, and the sisters are working quietly but efficiently.
- Economic downturn hits Wyoming counties Updated: Nov-29-15 2:40 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - Many county commissions throughout the state have frozen hiring, banned travel, scaled back construction projects and are considering dipping into savings in the face of lower revenues.
- Montgomery County's zinc eagle flies again Updated: Nov-29-15 9:45 am
CHRISTIANBURG, Virginia - In the fall of 1909, Montgomery County administrators received a large crate that had been shipped from Lynchburg.
- Frederick company wants to monetize farm manure Updated: Nov-29-15 9:09 am
FREDERICK, Maryland - Triea Technologies has big plans for manure.
- Ore. county opts against test for arsenic at former dam site Updated: Nov-28-15 9:40 am
GRANTS PASS, Oregon - The Josephine County Board of Commissioners reversed itself and terminated a $135,000 contract with a private laboratory to test for toxic chemicals at the former Fielder Dam site near Wimer.
- Learning to ride mass transit leads to independent seniors Updated: Nov-28-15 9:00 am
RESTON, Virginia - Eleven older people boarded a Fairfax County Connector bus for a run-through of something that seems, on the face of it, so simple: how to get from Point A to Point B using the region's network of buses and Metrorail.
- Farmers struggling to make profit as price of cotton drops Updated: Nov-27-15 3:27 pm
ROBERTSDALE, Alabama - The days of high cotton are over.
- Tunisia, targeted anew, faces intelligence challenge Updated: Nov-27-15 1:47 pm
TUNIS, Tunisia - An attack by Islamic State militants on Tunisia's presidential guard has left this North African country, its economy and its democracy even more vulnerable just days before four Tunisians head to collect the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Economy, oil slowdown might dampen Dakotas holiday sales Updated: Nov-27-15 12:39 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Holiday shoppers in the Dakotas this season are expected to spend more than they did last year, though a slumping oil economy in North Dakota has retailers there nervous.
- Ohio stocks holiday liquor products as record year expected Updated: Nov-27-15 6:53 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The state says it's taken extra steps to stock widely varied brands and packaging at state liquor stores for the holidays.
- Russia, France agree to tighten cooperation against IS Updated: Nov-27-15 12:58 am
MOSCOW - The presidents of France and Russia agreed Thursday to tighten cooperation in the fight against the Islamic State group, although they remained at odds over their approach toward Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- La.-Lafayette custodian recycles trash into dolls Updated: Nov-26-15 4:54 pm
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - She wears a gray cotton dress, black Crocs and her blonde hair in a bob.