- John Nelson retires from Advocate-Messenger Updated: Feb-12-16 1:54 pm
DANVILLE, Kentucky - John A. Nelson, who has led the newsroom at The Advocate-Messenger in central Kentucky for nearly 20 years, has announced that he is retiring.
- Britain's Independent newspaper to cease print editions Updated: Feb-12-16 1:05 pm
LONDON - Britain's Independent newspaper will publish its last print edition next month as it makes a "historic transition" to digital-only format, its owner said Friday.
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania reassigns questioned dean Updated: Feb-12-16 12:19 pm
INDIANA, Pennsylvania - Indiana University of Pennsylvania has reassigned one of its deans after a newspaper questioned more than $35,000 in spending linked to him.
- Activists ask Emirates for contact with Jordanian journalist Updated: Feb-12-16 6:15 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - An international rights group is asking the United Arab Emirates to allow a Jordanian journalist believed to be held incommunicado by the country's security forces to contact a lawyer and his family.
- Ireland slams threats to reporters covering Dublin gang war Updated: Feb-11-16 4:23 pm
DUBLIN - Two reporters covering the Dublin gang war have received death threats from criminals because of their work, but they won't be deterred from exposing Ireland's underworld, the country's largest newspaper group said Thursday.
- George Clooney hopes to meet Merkel to discuss refugees Updated: Feb-11-16 2:02 pm
BERLIN - Actor George Clooney says he plans to meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel to discuss the situation in Syria, which has contributed to the surge in refugees coming to Europe over the past year.
- AP NewsBreak: Slavery book author says she had concerns Updated: Feb-11-16 11:16 am
NEW YORK - The author of a children's book pulled last month because of its smiling depiction of slaves says she herself objected to the illustrations and had expressed early concerns with the publisher, Scholastic.
- Pro-government newspapers attacked in Turkey Updated: Feb-11-16 6:21 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Two pro-government newspapers say they were attacked overnight with firebombs and gunfire. No one was hurt.
- Reno mayor honors longtime journalist with Guy Clifton Day Updated: Feb-11-16 6:16 am
RENO, Nevada - The city of Reno is honoring longtime Nevada journalist and author Guy Clifton.
- Journalist Charles Lewis talks on role of money in politics Updated: Feb-11-16 6:11 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The founder of a nonprofit investigative journalism group is speaking at the University of South Carolina on the role of money in politics.
- The Latest: Planned Parenthood targets Kasich in online ads Updated: Feb-10-16 5:59 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on an Ohio proposal that seeks to strip government funding away from Planned Parenthood (all times local):
- Journalist kidnapped in southern Mexico found dead Updated: Feb-09-16 10:43 pm
MEXICO CITY - A reporter who was kidnapped by armed assailants in the Gulf Coast state of Veracruz this week has been found dead, Mexican authorities said Tuesday.
- TV viewers choose Simpson over Madoff in crime stories Updated: Feb-09-16 5:38 pm
NEW YORK - In a television competition between notorious criminals, O.J. Simpson topped Bernard Madoff.
- Illinois bill would criminalize filming fights to put online Updated: Feb-09-16 4:34 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The video posted on Facebook showed a 12-year-old on the ground while another boy tried to stomp him, with classmates standing by, circling the two and recording the fight on their phones.
- Prosecutors say gunmen kidnapped reporter in southern Mexico Updated: Feb-08-16 8:44 pm
MEXICO CITY - A reporter was dragged from her home by armed assailants before dawn Monday in southern Mexico and had not been seen since, authorities said.
- Francis Wick named CEO of family newspaper chain Updated: Feb-08-16 6:07 pm
SIERRA VISTA, Arizona - Wick Communications has named the grandson of the newspaper chain's co-founder as its new president and CEO.
- The Latest: Weather forecast called for storm-force winds Updated: Feb-08-16 5:16 pm
MIAMI - The Latest on a cruise ship that was damaged in bad weather in the Atlantic Ocean (all times local):
- Ian Mader named AP's news editor in Florida Updated: Feb-08-16 10:45 am
MIAMI - Ian Mader, a veteran foreign correspondent with a reputation for breaking news and challenging reporters, has been named The Associated Press Florida news editor based in Miami.
- A roundup of recent Michigan newspaper editorials Updated: Feb-08-16 8:01 am
The Detroit News. Feb. 5, 2016
- Cam Newton wins NFL Most Valuable Player award Updated: Feb-06-16 9:46 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Cam Newton has won The Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player award in a landslide.
- Carolina's Ron Rivera wins Coach of Year for 2nd time Updated: Feb-06-16 9:30 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Ron Rivera has won The Associated Press NFL Coach of the Year award for the second time in three years.
- J.J. Watt wins NFL Defensive Player award Updated: Feb-06-16 8:55 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - J.J. Watt has won The Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year award for the third time.
- Chiefs CB Peters wins top defensive rookie award Updated: Feb-06-16 8:46 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Kansas City's Marcus Peters is the first cornerback in 17 years to win The Associated Press NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award.
- KC safety Berry recovers from lymphoma, wins comeback award Updated: Feb-06-16 8:36 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Kansas City safety Eric Berry, who missed 10 games the previous season battling lymphoma, then returned to the Chiefs to become an All-Pro, has won The Associated Press NFL Comeback Player of the Year award.
- Cam Newton wins NFL Offensive Player award Updated: Feb-06-16 8:23 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Cam Newton's spectacular season has earned him The Associated Press NFL Offensive Player of the Year award.