- Police help Lisbon port move cargo amid dock workers' strike Updated: May-24-16 7:29 am
LISBON, Portugal - Riot police have held back striking Lisbon dock workers while port operators remove ship containers stranded for several weeks by the walkout over pay and labor rights.
- Faculty strike at Green River College to protest cuts Updated: May-23-16 2:38 pm
AUBURN, Washington - Faculty members are striking at Green River College in Auburn to protest cuts proposed by the administration.
- Fuel blockades lead to shortages in Paris, police action Updated: May-23-16 2:09 pm
FOS-SUR-MER, France - Behind a barricade of flaming tires, striking workers in front of the Fos-sur-Mer oil depot are standing firm, playing the accordion - and slowly draining France of its fuel.
- Car strikes, kills NJIT employee walking to work in Newark Updated: May-19-16 5:40 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Authorities in Essex County are investigating an accident in which a vehicle struck and killed a New Jersey Institute of Technology employee as he walked to work.
- Kroger workers reject contract, authorize strike Updated: May-19-16 10:27 am
SALEM, Virginia - About 1,100 union employees have unanimously voted to reject Kroger's most recent contract offer and authorize a strike next month at 41 stores in the region, which stretches from Harrisonburg to eastern Tennessee.
- Hawaiian Airlines pilots vote to authorize strike Updated: May-17-16 9:29 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaiian Airlines pilots have voted to allow their union representatives to call for a strike if contract talks don't end in a new collective bargaining agreement.
- Nigerian oil output, naira fall amid attacks, strike threats Updated: May-17-16 3:24 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - Militant attacks on oil installations and the threat of a nationwide strike drove Nigeria's petroleum production and its naira currency to new lows Tuesday.
- Hartford school bus drivers strike; 9,000 students affected Updated: May-17-16 10:03 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - School bus drivers in Hartford have gone on a one-day strike in a contract dispute, leaving nearly 9,000 students without rides to school.
- Striking Pennsylvania teachers performing community service Updated: May-17-16 9:53 am
HERNDON, Pennsylvania - Striking teachers in one central Pennsylvania school district have decided to perform community service instead of picketing.
- Strikes to hit road, rail and air transport in France Updated: May-16-16 9:30 am
PARIS - Lorry drivers are expected to put up roadblocks around France's major cities, and unions are calling for a strike on the Paris subway Tuesday to reject a hotly contested labor reform.
- Verizon, unions set to return to bargaining table Updated: May-16-16 2:12 am
WASHINGTON - Verizon and union officials representing about 39,000 striking landline and cable workers in nine eastern states and Washington, D.C., agreed to restart negotiations, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Union protesters to picket over sale of Ohio prison farms Updated: May-16-16 12:08 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's largest prison workers' union has scheduled a series of pickets beginning Monday against the announced shutdown of the state prison farms program.
- Prison officials says strike by Alabama inmates has ended Updated: May-13-16 4:05 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Officials say inmates have ended a work stoppage meant to protest conditions at two Alabama prisons.
- Machinists vote to strike at Spokane aircraft parts plant Updated: May-10-16 11:53 am
AIRWAY HEIGHTS, Washington - The Machinists union has voted to go on strike against Triumph Composite Systems, which makes aerospace parts at a factory west of Spokane.
- The Latest: Union workers protest outside Tropicana casino Updated: May-06-16 7:37 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - The Latest on a protest by casino workers at the Tropicana (all times local):
- Chicago Teachers Union decides against taking strike vote Updated: May-04-16 9:21 pm
CHICAGO - The Chicago Teachers Union has decided against striking over the lack of a contract, for now.
- Nurses, anesthetists authorize strike at Indiana Regional Updated: May-04-16 9:47 am
INDIANA, Pennsylvania - A union representing registered nurses and anesthetists has voted in favor of striking at the Indiana Regional Medical Center in western Pennsylvania.
- Spain: Strike keeps El Mundo newspaper off streets Updated: May-04-16 5:05 am
MADRID - Spain's second-largest newspaper, El Mundo, has not appeared in news kiosks owing to a strike over planned layoffs. It is the first time the newspaper's publication has been hit by a stoppage since its foundation in 1989.
- U of Illinois union to start 5-day strike Thursday morning Updated: Apr-28-16 8:17 am
URBANA, Illinois - A faculty union at the University of Illinois' Champaign-Urbana campus plans a five-day strike after contract talks with the school Wednesday ended without a settlement.
- Hundreds of flights canceled in Germany amid strikes Updated: Apr-27-16 4:21 am
BERLIN - Hundreds of flights have been canceled in Germany after government workers started short-term strikes affecting eight cities' airports ahead of a new round of wage negotiations.