- Group starts process to sue US agency over pipeline plans Updated: Jul-28-15 4:28 pm
DETROIT - The National Wildlife Federation accused the U.S. Transportation Department on Tuesday of not enforcing a federal law that requires pipeline owners and operators to establish safety response plans for worst-case oil spills in lakes, rivers and other waterways.
- Ohio city detects Lake Erie toxins that led to 2014 crisis Updated: Jul-28-15 3:48 pm
TOLEDO, Ohio - Toledo has detected the first signs in Lake Erie of the dangerous toxin that resulted in a water crisis last year that left 400,000 people in northwestern Ohio and southeastern Michigan without safe tap water for two days.
- Ohio discourages swimming, wading in Grand Lake St. Marys Updated: Jul-28-15 2:04 pm
CELINA, Ohio - The state is once again recommending that people and pets avoid swimming and wading in Ohio's largest inland lake as levels of an algae-produced toxin rise.
- Wisconsin man drowns in Minnesota lake Updated: Jul-28-15 8:07 am
GREENWOOD TOWNSHIP, Minnesota - Sheriff's officials say a boater from Wisconsin has drowned in a northeastern Minnesota lake.
- High waters likely closes southern Indiana beach for summer Updated: Jul-28-15 3:43 am
BIRDSEYE, Indiana - Indiana's unusually wet summer has closed a popular southern Indiana beach, likely for the rest of the summer.
- Boat ramp repaired, larger parking lot at Greenfield lake Updated: Jul-28-15 3:34 am
GREENFIELD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire's Fish and Game Department has finished a major renovation to a boat ramp at Otter Lake in Greenfield.
- Authorities identify woman who drowned in South Dakota lake Updated: Jul-27-15 6:28 pm
MADISON, South Dakota - Law enforcement authorities in eastern South Dakota have identified the 25-year-old woman who drowned in Lake Madison over the weekend.
- 2 bears trapped at Lake Tahoe safely returned to wilderness Updated: Jul-27-15 6:08 pm
RENO, Nevada - Two black bears that were caught in separate traps at Lake Tahoe last week have been returned safely to the wilderness along the Sierra's eastern front.
- Gratiot sheriff: Boy, 15, drowns in unguarded park lake Updated: Jul-27-15 5:22 pm
NORTH STAR TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Authorities in central Michigan say a 15-year-old boy drowned while swimming in an unsupervised lake at a park in Gratiot County.
- Man dies while scuba diving in Wisconsin lake Updated: Jul-27-15 4:46 pm
BARABOO, Wisconsin - A Wisconsin man has died while scuba diving in Devil's Lake State Park in south-central Wisconsin on Sunday.
- Land Between The Lakes Hummingbird Festival is this week Updated: Jul-27-15 8:14 am
GOLDEN POND, Kentucky - Ruby-throated hummingbirds are starting to make their annual journey south for the winter, and Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area has some events planned.
- 3-year-old boy drowns in Lake Sinclair Updated: Jul-27-15 6:47 am
MILLEDGEVILLE, Georgia - A 3-year-old boy has drowned at a family gathering at central Georgia's Lake Sinclair.
- Lake Placid ice dancing competition expanding Updated: Jul-27-15 3:08 am
LAKE PLACID, New York - The largest U.S. summer ice dance competition is expanding.
- Officers rescue 7 after overloaded boat sinks on L. Wawasee Updated: Jul-26-15 5:44 pm
SYRACUSE, Indiana - Authorities have rescued seven people after an overloaded boat sank in a northern Indiana lake.
- Devils Lake man added to North Dakota Fishing Hall of Fame Updated: Jul-26-15 12:38 pm
DEVILS LAKE, North Dakota - A Devils Lake man who was recently inducted into the North Dakota Fishing Hall of Fame credits his father with helping to spark his love of fishing.
- Police in Round Lake ask village leaders to buy body cameras Updated: Jul-26-15 11:52 am
ROUND LAKE, Illinois - Members of the village board in the Chicago suburb of Round Lake are considering a request from the police department to buy 15 body cameras.
- Ironman triathlon to go on as planned after Lake Placid fire Updated: Jul-26-15 12:25 am
LAKE PLACID, New York - A fire has destroyed two buildings in Lake Placid a day before hundreds of people are expected to participate in the annual Ironman triathlon in the village.
- Gary man, 80, drowns in northern Indiana lake Updated: Jul-25-15 5:56 pm
LAPORTE, Indiana - Conservation officers say an 80-year-old Gary man drowned in a northern Indiana lake while trying to retrieve a fishing boat that drifted away as he and friend were launching it.
- Remains found in lake may allow man's burial after 43 years Updated: Jul-24-15 7:11 am
SAWMILLS, North Carolina - Forty-three years ago, Pamela Shook Kolbe's father went out one night for a date and never came home. Now, her family may finally have a chance to bury him after a discovery at the bottom of a lake.
- Feds say celebratory swim in Onondaga Lake was premature Updated: Jul-24-15 3:08 am
SYRACUSE, New York - An Environmental Protection Agency official says progress has been made in cleaning up Onondaga Lake, but it's still not safe for swimming.
- The Latest: Some evacuations off in Northern California fire Updated: Jul-23-15 11:01 pm
The latest on wildfires burning in Montana, Washington and California:
- Clear Lake boat fire prompts evacuation of about 100 people Updated: Jul-23-15 7:22 pm
CLEAR LAKE, Iowa - About 100 people were evacuated safely when a fire broke out on a paddle wheel boat on Clear Lake.
- Emergency effort begins to kill invasive plant in Anchorage Updated: Jul-23-15 11:59 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Crews are scheduled to begin work Friday to remove an invasive plant species that has moved in to the floatplane area of Anchorage's Lake Hood.
- Body recovered after search of Delavan Lake Updated: Jul-23-15 11:56 am
DELAVAN, Wisconsin - Authorities searching Delavan Lake have found the body of a missing swimmer.
- Police ID man who died after car went into golf course lake Updated: Jul-23-15 11:44 am
VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia - Police have identified a man who died after his car went into a lake at a golf course in Virginia Beach.