- Uncharted waters: Restoring deep Gulf fouled by BP spill Updated: May-30-16 10:02 am
NEW ORLEANS - Far offshore and a mile deep in the dark world below the Gulf of Mexico's gleaming surface, the catastrophic BP oil spill of 2010 did untold damage on the ocean floor. But scientists are unsure they can do much to heal places in the deep that were hurt the most as they undertake what's being called the largest ecosystem restoration effort ever.
- Scientists find minivan-sized sponge, world's largest Updated: May-27-16 8:07 pm
HONOLULU - Researchers in Hawaii have been absorbed by a sea creature they discovered last summer, and their findings are pretty big.
- Correction: Jets Collide story Updated: May-27-16 6:18 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - In a story May 26 about two Navy jets that crashed off the coast of North Carolina, The Associated Press reported erroneously, based on information from the Coast Guard, the details of a boat that rescued the men. The rescuers were on board a yacht named Pammy, not a fishing vessel named Tammy.
- Concert on beach heralds start of summer at Jersey shore Updated: May-27-16 4:09 pm
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, New Jersey - As he belted out the words to "Nothin' But A Good Time," Poison singer Bret Michaels gave voice to the plans of residents and revelers alike as the unofficial start of summer arrived at the Jersey shore.
- 3 swimmers rescued from ocean at Jersey shore Updated: May-26-16 6:49 am
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, New Jersey - Three swimmers were rescued from the ocean by lifeguards preparing for the Memorial Day holiday weekend in Seaside Heights.
- Debris in Mozambique, Mauritius to be analyzed by MH370 team Updated: May-26-16 3:56 am
SYDNEY - Three pieces of debris found washed ashore in Mozambique and the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius will be examined by investigators in Australia to see if they came from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, officials said Thursday.
- Feds: Company hasn't done enough to end slow-motion oil leak Updated: May-25-16 12:17 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Justice Department is urging a federal court to let government regulators decide if a New Orleans company has done enough to end an oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico that began nearly 12 years ago and could last another century.
- Florida crews search Gulf of Mexico for missing boater Updated: May-24-16 11:08 am
CEDAR KEY, Florida - A search continues for a Maryland man whose boat capsized in the Gulf of Mexico off Cedar Key, Florida.
- Trump proposes wall to protect golf resort from rising seas Updated: May-24-16 8:53 am
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump wants to build another huge wall, this time to keep out the rising seas threatening to swamp his luxury golf resort in Ireland.
- Couple to attempt to row across the Atlantic to Ireland Updated: May-23-16 10:21 am
CHATHAM, Massachusetts - Back in 2007, James Caple was captivated by a story about Roz Savage's attempt to row across the Pacific Ocean after she had successfully rowed from the Canary Islands to Antigua.
- Hawaii shark study aims to understand why they bite Updated: May-19-16 10:01 pm
HONOLULU - New research released Thursday shows tiger sharks naturally favor waters near Maui that are close to some of Hawaii's most popular beaches for humans.
- Study: Water-sucking industry a factor as New Orleans sinks Updated: May-19-16 1:05 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Geologists have long known that New Orleans is slowly sinking - but now, scientists using radar technology say groundwater sucked up by industrial facilities such as a power plant, oil refineries and chemical complexes may be contributing to the problem and could even be undermining levees.
- Downed Jet: Crews salvage jet that crashed into the ocean Updated: May-19-16 9:32 am
WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, North Carolina - Navy crews have started efforts to salvage a Marine Corps Harrier jet that crashed into the ocean off the coast of North Carolina earlier this month.
- NSF gives Bigelow more than $1M for microorganism study Updated: May-19-16 12:23 am
EAST BOOTHBAY, Maine - The National Science Foundation is giving Maine's Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences more than $1 million for a project about microorganisms and the chemical composition of the Southern Ocean.
- Companies propose deep-water wind farms off Hawaii shores Updated: May-16-16 10:51 pm
HONOLULU - Massive wind turbines could end up floating in deep ocean waters off Hawaii's shores under proposals to bring more renewable energy to the islands.
- Scientists head out to study Shell spill in the Gulf Updated: May-16-16 10:49 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Researchers are heading out to study the effects of a Shell leak of about 88,200 gallons of oil off the Louisiana coast in the Gulf of Mexico, a scientist said on Monday.
- Mom who drove kids into ocean denied visitation - for now Updated: May-16-16 1:19 pm
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - A Florida judge says a South Carolina mother who drove her three young children into the Daytona Beach surf can't yet visit them.
- Man's body found in ocean off Los Angeles County beach Updated: May-16-16 9:06 am
EL SEGUNDO, California - Authorities say a man's body has been found floating in the ocean off a Los Angeles County beach.
- Crooked River flows to increase in steelhead experiment Updated: May-15-16 4:16 pm
BEND, Oregon - Crooked River will flow heavier as fish experts try to recreate historic conditions that brought steelhead smolt to Lake Billy Chinook and into the ocean.
- 70-year-old Norwegian attempts to row across Atlantic Ocean Updated: May-15-16 1:04 pm
NEW YORK - A 70-year-old Norwegian man has embarked on the biggest adventure of his life - an attempt to row across the Atlantic Ocean.
- Shell: Skimmers in Gulf begin to clean 88,200 gallon spill Updated: May-13-16 5:35 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Vessels have begun cleaning up an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico after about 88,200 gallons of oil were released from a Shell flow line about 90 miles off the coast of Louisiana, the company said Friday.
- Malaysia says search area for Flight 370 will not shift Updated: May-13-16 4:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia said Friday the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 will not be shifted after the discoveries of five pieces of debris in the western Indian Ocean.
- Myrtle Beach: Visit the Boardwalk but pass free parking Updated: May-11-16 8:55 am
MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - In Myrtle Beach you can visit the boardwalk but, unlike the game of Monopoly, there's no more free parking.
- Ocean blasting: Groups seek ban as big Atlantic test looms Updated: May-08-16 10:29 am
SANDY HOOK, New Jersey - It's been compared to hearing dynamite explode, or standing next to a jet engine.
- Quadriplegic man seeks his chance to live out a dream Updated: May-08-16 9:01 am
COLUMBUS, Georgia - He ended up in a wheelchair because he broke his neck while trying to help a child retrieve a kite lost in the ocean. Now, friends are raising money to buy a special wheelchair to help him retrieve another outdoor joy he lost to paralysis.