- Cellphone fees, education mandates among new state laws Updated: May-28-16 12:37 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - New laws in South Carolina extend taxes to cellphones, require students to learn about America's "founding principles," and fix a quirk in campaign finance law that has entangled many state officials.
- Phones fuel great growth potential for US Internet gambling Updated: May-25-16 8:56 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Internet gambling has tremendous growth potential in the United States as ever-greater percentages of the public use smartphones, participants in a major gambling conference said Wednesday.
- Microsoft cuts more jobs in troubled mobile unit Updated: May-25-16 1:43 pm
NEW YORK - Microsoft said Wednesday it will cut up to 1,850 jobs and take a $950 million hit to its books as it attempts to salvage its rocky entrance into the smartphone market.
- 6 road-trip apps to make the miles fly by Updated: May-25-16 12:36 pm
TEXARKANA, Arkansas - Hitting the road this summer? Forget Yelp and those hotel booking apps - they're useful, but boring. Instead, pack along these apps to liven things up along the way. You might even learn something.
- Huawei files lawsuits accusing Samsung of violating patents Updated: May-25-16 12:55 am
BEIJING - Chinese tech giant Huawei said Wednesday it has filed patent infringement lawsuits against South Korean mobile phone rival Samsung in the United States and China, in a case that highlights the rise of Asian competitors as technology creators.
- Plainview pay phone's days could be numbered Updated: May-22-16 11:11 am
PLAINVIEW, Nebraska - The last time anyone put a quarter in the pay phone outside the Road Runner gas station in Plainview, Dave Heineman was the governor.
- Utah lawmaker wants opt-in requirement for porn Updated: May-20-16 4:38 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah lawmaker who succeeded in having pornography declared a public health crisis intends to continue his crusade through a bill that could require pornography filters to be placed on the Internet.
- Apple's stores getting new look as other retailers struggle Updated: May-19-16 5:29 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple is getting ready to unveil a stylish new product that's not for sale - a new look for its stores.
- Why your phone may never get Android's latest features Updated: May-19-16 12:20 pm
NEW YORK - Better graphics and the ability to run two apps side by side are coming to Google's latest version of Android, dubbed N.
- Opportunities and hurdles with Google's Daydream VR vision Updated: May-19-16 3:31 am
NEW YORK - Upcoming virtual-reality headsets based on Google's new Daydream VR system won't be as sophisticated as Facebook's Oculus Rift.
- Google echoes Amazon's Echo, opens new virtual-reality door Updated: May-18-16 8:02 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Google wants to play an even bigger role in managing people's daily lives, while also nudging them into an alternate reality, as the Internet company responds to competitive threats posed by Facebook, Amazon and Apple.
- Illinois lawmakers pass limits on phone-tracking technology Updated: May-18-16 6:45 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois lawmakers have approved a bill that restricts how law enforcement agencies use devices that mimic cell towers to track phone locations in criminal investigations.
- The Latest: Google seen ahead in some areas, no so in others Updated: May-18-16 4:58 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California -
- Nokia mobile phones are coming back Updated: May-18-16 11:30 am
HELSINKI - The Nokia mobile phone is coming back.
- YouTube tests messaging feature to keep people in its app Updated: May-13-16 4:31 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - YouTube is testing a messaging feature in its smartphone app so people can share and discuss videos without resorting to other ways to connect with their friends and family.
- Samsung Gear expands virtual-reality arsenal Updated: May-11-16 5:42 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Virtual reality specialist Oculus is trying to dazzle consumers by adding more entertainment and educational options to the Samsung Gear headset in hopes of transforming the technological curiosity into a cultural phenomenon.
- EU regulator blocks takeover of UK mobile phone operator O2 Updated: May-11-16 7:31 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union's regulator has blocked the $15 billion takeover of British mobile phone operator O2 by CK Hutchison over concerns the deal would have stifled innovation and led to higher prices for consumers.
- Sioux City libraries embrace technology as checkouts decline Updated: May-08-16 10:44 am
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - In a world where smartphones, iPads, Kindles and Netflix constantly compete for people's attention, Sioux City Public Library Director Betsy Thompson acknowledges fewer people are walking into the library to check out a book.
- Legislatures seek limits on phone-tracking technology Updated: May-08-16 10:21 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Law enforcement departments' powerful devices that mimic cell towers and track phone locations are raising privacy concerns and inspiring legislation to restrict how police can use the technology in criminal investigations.
- Apple partners with commercial software giant SAP Updated: May-05-16 3:25 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple has announced a new partnership with German software giant SAP to develop mobile apps that business customers can use on iPhones and iPad tablets.
- House approves legislation spreading fees to cellphones Updated: May-04-16 9:00 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina House approved legislation Wednesday that spreads the cost of phone services to cellphone customers, lowering fees on landline bills.
- Apple loses Chinese lawsuit over iPhone name Updated: May-04-16 12:41 pm
BEIJING - Apple Inc. has lost a legal fight with a Chinese company that a Beijing court says is allowed to use the iPhone name on wallets and handbags.
- Digital spring cleaning: 4 'cyber hygiene' tips to stay safe Updated: May-04-16 11:06 am
NEW YORK - Spring cleaning isn't just about tossing old furniture and torn clothing: It's a great time to clear out your digital clutter and make sure you're protected against hackers.
- In Tech: Dish techs fix iPhones, Best Buy gets Oculus VR Updated: May-03-16 2:44 pm
When Dish technicians aren't busy installing satellite TV services in people's homes, they'll be making house calls to replace iPhone batteries and broken screens.
- 3 New Jersey towns offer app for beach badge purchase Updated: May-03-16 8:53 am
SEA ISLE CITY, New Jersey - Three New Jersey towns are letting people purchase beach badges with their smartphones.