- Smartphone health: Apple releases software for medical apps Updated: Apr-28-16 4:22 am
CUPERTINO, California - Apple is edging its way a little further into health care with the release of new iPhone apps that patients can use to manage their own medical conditions - from diabetes to pregnancy and even depression.
- FBI says it won't disclose how it accessed locked iPhone Updated: Apr-27-16 11:16 pm
WASHINGTON - The FBI said Wednesday that it will not publicly disclose the method that allowed it to access a locked iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino attackers, saying it lacks enough "technical information" about the software vulnerability that was exploited.
- Nintendo sinks into bigger quarterly loss on weak sales Updated: Apr-27-16 6:23 am
TOKYO - Japanese video-game maker Nintendo Co. reported a 24 billion yen ($216 million) loss for January-March Wednesday, bigger than the loss it reported the previous year.
- Apple reports iPhone sales down, 1st revenue drop since 2003 Updated: Apr-26-16 7:43 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple sold more than 51 million iPhones in the first three months of this year - and that's the problem.
- The top iPhone and iPad apps on App Store Updated: Apr-26-16 4:11 pm
App Store Official Charts for the week ending April 24, 2016:
- Pope to youth: Happiness can't be downloaded like an app Updated: Apr-24-16 7:44 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has told teenagers happiness can't be downloaded like a cellphone app.
- Feds say they've accessed phone at center of Apple data case Updated: Apr-23-16 3:52 am
NEW YORK - The U.S. Justice Department said it has withdrawn a request to force Apple to reveal data from a cellphone linked to a New York drug case after someone provided federal investigators with the phone's passcode.
- The Latest: Feds don't need Apple's help in iPhone data case Updated: Apr-22-16 10:33 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on to the legal battle between Apple and the Justice Department, which asked a judge to force the tech giant to reveal data from an iPhone linked to a New York City drug case (all times local):
- EU expands battle with Google with Android antitrust probe Updated: Apr-20-16 4:23 pm
BRUSSELS - The European Union is broadening its battle with Google, alleging that the technology giant rigs the global market for mobile apps by making its Android operating system give preferential treatment to its own products.
- Sara Bareilles writes an original turn-off-your-phone song Updated: Apr-20-16 10:35 am
NEW YORK - Sara Bareilles' songwriting skills are all over the new Broadway musical "Waitress" - even down to the cellphone warning.
- Rhode Island launches mobile voter tool ahead of primary Updated: Apr-17-16 2:14 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island has introduced a new mobile website tool to help smartphone-carrying voters on Election Day.
- Apple continues feud with government in New York iPhone case Updated: Apr-15-16 5:55 pm
Apple says authorities have "utterly failed" to show they need the company's help to get data from a locked iPhone in a New York federal drug case, where the tech giant is continuing its fight with the government over access to customers' phones.
- AP Explains: Privacy wars pit tech firms vs. the feds Updated: Apr-15-16 1:28 pm
NEW YORK - Companies like Apple and Microsoft are pushing back against government surveillance in the courts, arguing that federal authorities have gone too far in obtaining chats, emails and other private information from phones and online services.
- Uber starts motorbike taxi service in Indonesian capital Updated: Apr-13-16 5:37 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Ride-hailing app Uber on Wednesday launched a motorbike taxi service in the Indonesian capital where Southeast Asian rivals Go-Jek and Grab are already battling for dominance.
- Ohio initiative to help bridge digital divide, homework gap Updated: Apr-09-16 10:14 am
CLEVELAND - Daysha Higgins had a computer at home until it blew out nearly two years ago, but she's never had the internet at home
- Senate bill draft would prohibit unbreakable encryption Updated: Apr-08-16 3:28 pm
WASHINGTON - A draft version of a Senate bill would effectively prohibit unbreakable encryption and require companies to help the government access data on a computer or mobile device with a warrant.
- Facebook rearranging notification buttons to highlight video Updated: Apr-06-16 5:00 pm
MENLO PARK, California - Facebook is rearranging the notification panel on its mobile apps in an effort to broaden the audience creating, watching and reacting to live video on its social network.
- WhatsApp extends encryption to photos, video, other messages Updated: Apr-05-16 5:01 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - WhatsApp says it's now using a powerful form of encryption to protect the security of photos, videos, group chats and voice calls in addition to the text messages sent by its more than a billion users around the globe.
- Caltrans partnering with Waze traffic app to help drivers Updated: Apr-05-16 3:53 pm
LOS ANGELES - The state Department of Transportation is partnering with the popular smartphone app Waze to help California drivers get where they're going without getting stuck in traffic.
- Facebook programs computers to describe photos for the blind Updated: Apr-05-16 1:15 pm
MENLO PARK, California - Facebook is training its computers to become seeing-eye guides for blind and visually impaired people as they scroll through the pictures posted on the world's largest online social network.
- How to protect your data and avoid being hacked Updated: Apr-05-16 10:54 am
NEW YORK - The government hack of an iPhone used by a San Bernardino killer serves as a reminder that phones and other electronic devices aren't impenetrable vaults.
- Roku adds headphone option to latest video-streaming stick Updated: Apr-05-16 9:05 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Roku is looking to outshine its rivals by adding a headphone-listening option to the latest version of its thumb-sized stick for streaming Internet video.
- Refugee Center launches smartphone app Updated: Apr-05-16 6:07 am
SALT LAKE CITY - The Utah Refugee Center is finding new ways to let people know how to help new arrivals after a surge of interest sparked by Mormon church leaders urging women to help new arrivals in their communities.
- Huawei 2015 profit jumps 32 percent on smartphone demand Updated: Mar-31-16 11:52 pm
BEIJING - Huawei Technologies Ltd., one of the biggest makers of telecoms equipment, said Friday its 2015 profit jumped 32 percent on strong sales of smartphones and switching gear as carriers upgraded wireless networks to 4G.
- Resolution in FBI-Apple case prolongs larger legal battle Updated: Mar-30-16 11:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The FBI's victory in breaking into a San Bernardino killer's iPhone without Apple's help merely prolongs a battle over how far the government can go to examine private messages, photos and other files.