- Brother takes Colombian politician's place as rebel hostage Updated: Apr-28-16 7:54 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - When leftist rebels earlier this month freed a former governor held captive more than two years, Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos welcomed the release as a hopeful sign that the National Liberation Army had finally sworn off kidnapping as peace talks with the group were getting under way.
- Mexico charges 4 detectives with holding foreigners Updated: Apr-28-16 5:11 pm
MEXICO CITY - A judge in Mexico has ordered two federal detectives and two ex-detectives to stand trial on charges of kidnaping for extortion for allegedly holding 15 South American women briefly to demand a bribe for not reporting them to immigration authorities.
- 4 charged with murder in death of Portland man last summer Updated: Apr-28-16 3:56 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Detectives investigating the death of a Portland man have arrested four people with ties to a motorcycle gang on murder charges and accused two others of hindering prosecution, police said Thursday.
- Pacquiao presses senatorial campaign despite kidnap threat Updated: Apr-28-16 10:29 am
SAN PABLO, Philippines - Boxing star Manny Pacquiao pressed on with his campaign for a seat in the Philippine Senate on Thursday, barnstorming in a province south of Manila despite a reported militant plot to kidnap him.
- After hostage beheading, is Philippines facing IS threat? Updated: Apr-28-16 9:11 am
MANILA, Philippines - Months before Abu Sayyaf militants beheaded retired Canadian mining executive John Ridsdel in the tropical jungles of the southern Philippines, they showed him pleading for life in a video with three other hostages that demanded a record-high ransom.
- Swedish court lowers sentence to doctor for abducting woman Updated: Apr-28-16 6:25 am
STOCKHOLM - An appeals court in Sweden has reduced the sentence given to a Swedish doctor who abducted a woman and kept her locked up in a bunker for almost a week.
- Hudson Valley man pleads not guilty to kidnapping, rape Updated: Apr-28-16 5:44 am
GOSHEN, New York - A Hudson Valley man is accused of kidnapping four women and sexually assaulting them in his apartment over the course of several months.
- Murder charge dropped in case of slain Sheffield grandmother Updated: Apr-28-16 4:33 am
ST. JOHNSBURY, Vermont - A superior court judge in Vermont has dismissed a first-degree murder charge against a man accused in the 2010 shooting death of a 78-year-old Sheffield grandmother.
- Man gets 120 years in abduction, rape of 12-year-old girl Updated: Apr-28-16 1:57 am
SAPULPA, Oklahoma - A Sapulpa man who was linked by DNA taken from a cup of lemonade to the rape and abduction of a 12-year-old girl has been sentenced to 120 years in prison.
- Judge: Guilty plea stands in girl slaying, co-worker attack Updated: Apr-27-16 5:55 pm
LAS VEGAS - A former Las Vegas blackjack dealer lost a bid Wednesday to undo her guilty plea to abducting and killing her ex-boyfriend's 10-year-old daughter and slashing a co-worker in a jealous rage in December 2012.
- Person of interest in Wetterling case gets pretrial hearing Updated: Apr-27-16 4:28 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Attorneys for a man authorities have called a person of interest in the 1989 kidnapping of 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling went to court Wednesday trying to suppress evidence that led to his being charged with possession of child pornography in a separate case.
- Utah woman arrested in Oklahoma, suspected of kidnapping Updated: Apr-27-16 4:23 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - A Utah woman wanted for kidnapping her 1-year-old grandson has been arrested in Oklahoma.
- Man sentenced to life in prison for deadly Ohio crime spree Updated: Apr-27-16 2:01 pm
PAINESVILLE, Ohio - A man who tried to rape a teenager then fatally shot a woman during a crime spree east of Cleveland has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.
- Police: Man held family in home for days, screwed door shut Updated: Apr-27-16 9:09 am
CLEVELAND - Authorities say Cleveland man armed with a pistol kidnapped his girlfriend and four children at home by screwing their front door shut and trapping them inside for four days.
- Aquino: Canadian's killers also plotted to kidnap Pacquiao Updated: Apr-27-16 8:29 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine president said Wednesday that Abu Sayyaf militants may have plotted to kill him and kidnap boxing star Manny Pacquiao, disclosing previously unknown details about an extremist group blamed for the beheading of a Canadian hostage.
- Man pleads not guilty in northern Iowa kidnapping case Updated: Apr-27-16 8:18 am
OSAGE, Iowa - A June trial has been scheduled for a Mitchell man accused of kidnapping and injuring a woman last month.
- Oklahoma man accused in girl's rape sentenced to 120 years Updated: Apr-27-16 2:05 am
TULSA, Oklahoma - An Oklahoma man accused of kidnapping and raping an 8-year-old girl has been sentenced to 120 years in prison.
- Convicted child molester charged with boy's 1984 killing Updated: Apr-26-16 11:32 pm
FAIRFIELD, California - A convicted child molester has been charged with killing a 3-year-old Northern California boy who was snatched from his bedroom and vanished in 1984.
- Woman charged with kidnapping toddler to be moved to prison Updated: Apr-26-16 5:20 pm
SALEM, Massachusetts - A Massachusetts baby sitter accused of kidnapping and assaulting a toddler she cared for will be moved from a mental health hospital to a state prison to await trial.
- Philippine troops hunt extremists who beheaded Canadian Updated: Apr-26-16 3:23 pm
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine military came under increased pressure Tuesday to rescue more than 20 foreign hostages after their Muslim extremist captors beheaded a Canadian man, but troops face a dilemma in how to succeed without endangering the remaining captives.
- Trial reset for Vegas school bus driver in child sex case Updated: Apr-26-16 2:41 pm
LAS VEGAS - Trial has been rescheduled for a 56-year-old former Las Vegas school bus driver charged with sexually assaulting preschool-age children on his route.
- Options narrow for ex-CIA agent's fight against extradition Updated: Apr-26-16 12:47 pm
LISBON, Portugal - A former CIA operative has one last chance to avoid being extradited from Portugal to Italy to serve a prison sentence for her part in the U.S. extraordinary renditions program, Portuguese court officials said Tuesday.
- Danish group says abducted Angola employee freed Updated: Apr-26-16 10:18 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Danish shipping and energy group A.P. Moller-Maersk says an employee in Angola has been released unharmed, four days after he was abducted.
- Man gets life in prison for abducting, assaulting student Updated: Apr-26-16 8:25 am
JACKSON, Missouri - An Illinois man has been sentenced to life in prison without parole for kidnapping and raping a Southeast Missouri State University student last May.
- Indonesia to hold regional talks after kidnappings at sea Updated: Apr-26-16 6:52 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesia's president said Tuesday that his government will host talks with Malaysia and the Philippines this week to boost maritime security following the kidnappings at sea of Indonesians by suspected Abu Sayyaf militants.