- Big job gains could lengthen quick Reno-Sparks commutes Updated: Jun-28-15 12:46 pm
RENO, Nevada - Focused the past two decades on new highway construction, transportation officials are now eying expanding bus transit routes, car pooling and other ride-sharing opportunities in the Reno-Sparks area to keep up with growth as tens of thousands of new workers head for Tesla Motors, Switch and other new employers in the future.
- Honolulu commuters sleep, eat in cars to deal with traffic Updated: Jun-28-15 11:23 am
HONOLULU - Hawaii Rep. Matt LoPresti knew he had a problem when his preschool-aged daughter Nina started drawing pictures of herself sitting in traffic.
- Anchorage area commutes below national average Updated: Jun-28-15 11:17 am
JUNEAU, Alaska - Dennis DeWinter's workday typically begins around 6 a.m., when he leaves his home in Palmer to catch the ride-share program van for a 45-mile drive into Anchorage for his job at a printing company.
- Denver commute times slightly longer than national average Updated: Jun-27-15 12:50 pm
DENVER - It's not in your head - driving to work in the Denver metro area can be a hassle, and people are taking slightly longer to get to their jobs than the national average commute time.
- Fear of longer commutes puts pressure on US cities to act Updated: Jun-27-15 11:54 am
At 4:35 a.m. each weekday, Stan Paul drives out of his Southern California suburb with 10 passengers in a van, headed to his job as an undergraduate counselor at the University of California, Los Angeles. Some 80 miles and 90 minutes later, the vanpoolers finally arrive to start their workday.
- Avoiding future freeway congestion could come with a cost Updated: Jun-26-15 2:49 pm
LOS ANGELES - Fewer of tomorrow's freeways will be free. In exchange, drivers willing and able to pay will avoid the traffic congestion that bedevils everyone else.
- Despite large growth, commutes in Sioux Falls still quick Updated: Jun-26-15 2:23 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The Sioux Falls metro area has grown by thousands of working commuters since 2005, but residents haven't seen a huge uptick in the average time it takes them to get to their jobs.
- Providence metro public transit commute averages near 1 hour Updated: Jun-26-15 10:53 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Workers in Providence and nearby communities who travel by bus or train face longer commute times than their counterparts in other medium-sized metropolitan areas in the U.S.
- Maine's large metro area bucks national commuting trends Updated: Jun-26-15 10:45 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Workers in Maine's largest metropolitan area enjoy shorter commuting times than the national average despite the area's status as an employment hub for the state.
- Social impact company immerses travelers in other cultures Updated: Jun-19-15 9:13 am
TERRE HAUTE, Indiana - A Terre Haute native's love for travel and social entrepreneurism will make it possible for travelers to work alongside the people of the Dominican Republic.
- Breast-milk pumping at work is legal, but needs more support Updated: Jun-17-15 9:06 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - Margie Schrader did it in her office. Kirstin Milks did it in her classroom. Jami Hamman did it in her cubicle. And Jean Bauer did it wherever she could find a lockable door.
- Prison break casts spotlight on staff-inmate relationships Updated: Jun-13-15 12:57 pm
NEW YORK - Training to work in maximum-security prisons includes stern warnings that add up to one message: Don't get too close to the inmates.