- South Korea: VW rigged emissions in 125,000 diesel vehicles Updated: Nov-26-15 7:34 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea said Thursday it fined Volkswagen $12.3 million and ordered recalls of 125,522 diesel vehicles after the government found their emissions tests were rigged.
- California demands fixes for 16,000 more VW cars Updated: Nov-25-15 5:51 pm
LOS ANGELES - California air quality regulators on Wednesday demanded a recall of up to 16,000 additional Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche diesels as the Volkswagen emissions scandal widened.
- Report: Lake no cleaner after year 1 of disputed experiment Updated: Nov-25-15 1:38 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - An experiment that prompted lawmakers to delay for years the promised but costly cleanup of a key water supply for about 300,000 people in the Raleigh-Durham region has produced no tangible results, a state report said.
- Endangered bat, cacti subjects of new federal lawsuit Updated: Nov-25-15 8:10 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Agricultural groups in New Mexico and Texas want two cacti and a rare bat thrown off the federal endangered species list.
- VW to offer quick fix for diesel engines in Europe Updated: Nov-25-15 7:56 am
BERLIN - Volkswagen says it will take less than an hour to bring 1.6 and 2.0 liter turbodiesel engines in Europe into line with emissions rules.
- German execs remain optimistic despite Paris attacks Updated: Nov-24-15 4:29 am
BERLIN - A closely watched survey suggests that German executives remain unfazed by the recent attacks in France or the emissions-rigging scandal at Volkswagen.
- Federal approval of Gila River agreement triggers review Updated: Nov-23-15 8:04 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The U.S. Department of Interior on Monday reached an agreement with water managers in New Mexico, marking the next step in a long, contentious process to develop the state's share of the Gila River.
- AG asks state Supreme Court to dismiss governor's complaint Updated: Nov-20-15 11:54 pm
DENVER - Colorado Attorney General Cynthia Coffman asked the state Supreme Court on Friday to dismiss Gov. John Hickenlooper's complaint about lawsuits she filed without his permission.
- EPA says VW cheating software is on more vehicles Updated: Nov-20-15 8:06 pm
WASHINGTON - Volkswagen's emissions cheating scandal widened Friday after the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said the German automaker used software to cheat on pollution tests on more six-cylinder diesel vehicles than originally thought.
- Judge denies Washington kids' petition on climate change Updated: Nov-20-15 5:52 pm
SEATTLE - A judge has denied an appeal by eight young activists who petitioned Washington state to adopt stricter science-based regulations to protect them against climate change.
- The Latest: US says more cars included in VW diesel cheating Updated: Nov-20-15 1:41 pm
BERLIN - The latest developments in Volkswagen's emissions scandal. All times local:
- Volkswagen cutting investments, to present US engine fixes Updated: Nov-20-15 9:08 am
WOLFSBURG, Germany - Volkswagen will cut its spending by 1 billion euros ($1.07 billion) next year and "strictly prioritize" investments as it shores up its finances to deal with its emissions-rigging scandal, CEO Matthias Mueller said Friday after a board meeting.
- Refinery agrees to pay $1.2M in settlement with feds Updated: Nov-19-15 6:47 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - An oil refinery company with operations in Utah has agreed to pay a $1.2 million as part of a settlement with federal regulators over the emission of hazardous air pollutants.
- Manslaughter charges filed in deadly 2012 platform blast Updated: Nov-19-15 5:54 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A federal grand jury indicted two companies on involuntary manslaughter charges and three people face charges in a deadly 2012 explosion on an oil production platform in the Gulf of Mexico, the Justice Department said Thursday.
- VW has only a few costly options to fix polluting diesels Updated: Nov-19-15 5:03 pm
DETROIT - When Volkswagen submits a plan to fix emissions-cheating diesel engines on Friday, it will have only two options for most of the cars.
- Lawmakers want Corps, not EPA, to remediate landfill Updated: Nov-19-15 3:19 pm
ST. LOUIS - Four members of Missouri's congressional delegation on Thursday called for the Army Corps of Engineers to take over remediation of the West Lake Landfill site in St. Louis County, saying the Environmental Protection Agency is moving too slowly in addressing concerns about nuclear contamination.
- Republican leader renews call for ODOT director to resign Updated: Nov-19-15 9:45 am
SALEM, Oregon - Senate Republican Leader Ted Ferrioli again called on the director of the state Department of Transportation to resign, saying the agency's blunders helped end an effort to repeal and replace a controversial environmental law in June.
- Germany's largest trade union opening US office with UAW Updated: Nov-18-15 6:52 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Germany's largest trade union is opening a joint office with the United Auto Workers in Tennessee to promote labor issues at German automakers and suppliers in the southern United States.
- Oregon lawmakers review pesticides used in marijuana Updated: Nov-18-15 12:05 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon lawmakers are reviewing possible regulations to the state's burgeoning industry including edible marijuana serving sizes, pesticide use and marijuana tracking.
- Officials remove wolf from state endangered species list Updated: Nov-10-15 5:40 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon wildlife officials have voted to remove the gray wolf from the state's Endangered Species Act list.
- Officials remove wolf from state endangered species list Updated: Nov-10-15 1:07 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon wildlife officials voted in Salem Monday to remove the gray wolf from the state's Endangered Species Act list.
- VW offers diesel owners $1,000 in gift cards and vouchers Updated: Nov-09-15 11:07 pm
DETROIT - Volkswagen is offering $1,000 in gift cards and vouchers as a goodwill gesture to owners of small diesel-powered cars involved in an emissions cheating scandal.
- Analysis: Polarized politics dictated Obama Keystone call Updated: Nov-09-15 1:06 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's decision to block the Keystone XL oil pipeline has exposed an endlessly polarized Washington, and likely hardened its divides.
- New York finds Peabody climate statements misleading Updated: Nov-09-15 12:21 pm
ALBANY, New York - Peabody Energy, the world's biggest private-sector coal company, violated New York laws with misleading statements to investors and the public about the financial risks from climate change and potential regulatory responses, New York's attorney general said Monday.
- 'Science Guy' Bill Nye tackles climate change in new book Updated: Nov-09-15 11:14 am
"Unstoppable: Harnessing Science to Change the World" (St. Martin's Press,) by Bill Nye