- Rabid bat bites man in Creswell Updated: Sep-03-15 8:06 pm
EUGENE, Oregon - Health officials say a bat that bit a man this week in Creswell has tested positive for rabies.
- Sony, back in the crosshairs, defends 'Concussion' Updated: Sep-02-15 6:25 pm
NEW YORK - Nearly a year after the devastating hacking attack that leaked thousands of emails, Sony Pictures Entertainment again finds itself trying to justify its own inner dealings, this time over the upcoming Will Smith film about head trauma and the NFL, "Concussion."
- Column: Has NFL's PR machine finally met its match? Updated: Sep-02-15 1:25 pm
Merry Christmas, Mr. Commissioner. Enjoy your lump of coal.
- Off-duty Norfolk police dog bites 3; handler placed on leave Updated: Sep-01-15 4:54 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - A Norfolk police dog bit three people after escaping from his off-duty handler's back yard.
- Missing hiker died of hypothermia, diphenhydramine overdose Updated: Sep-01-15 4:04 am
GATLINBURG, Tennessee - A coroner says a hiker found dead in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in June may have intentionally overdosed on diphenhydramine.
- Redfield boy makes big strides in recovery from severe burns Updated: Aug-31-15 10:49 am
REDFIELD, South Dakota - A Redfield boy has made big strides in his recovery from devastating burn injuries.
- State prison inmate hospitalized after suffering head injury Updated: Aug-30-15 1:49 pm
LEESBURG, New Jersey - Officials say a southern New Jersey prison inmate was hospitalized after he was found injured in his cell.
- Injured Mankato baby on ventilator Updated: Aug-29-15 11:40 am
MANKATO, Minnesota - Authorities say a 2-month-old Mankato baby is on a ventilator after suffering serious brain injuries.
- Veterans with PTSD praise audio-therapy results Updated: Aug-29-15 1:54 am
SARASOTA, Florida - On March 23, 1994, as it made its approach to Pope Air Force Base in North Carolina, the nose of an F-16 clipped the right rear elevator of a C-130 in mid-air. Although the stricken transport managed to circle around for a safe landing, the jet fighter crew had to eject as their doomed plane, on full afterburner, hurtled toward the base.
- Movement to curtail concussions and make sports safer Updated: Aug-28-15 4:49 pm
SHERIDAN, Wyoming - When an athlete breaks a bone, sprains a joint or tears a ligament, the damage is easily identified by bruising, swelling and obvious pain.
- Review finds problems with ex-medical examiner's autopsies Updated: Aug-26-15 7:26 pm
HELENA, Montana - An independent review found significant problems with a half-dozen infant and child autopsies performed by a former Montana associate medical examiner, including missed, ignored or discounted brain injuries that should have prompted further investigation into how the children were killed.
- IndyCar driver Justin Wilson dies of head injury Updated: Aug-25-15 6:32 am
IndyCar driver Justin Wilson died Monday night from a head injury suffered when a piece of debris struck him at Pocono Raceway. He was 37.
- Washington state: Car wash chemical dangerous to workers Updated: Aug-22-15 2:19 pm
TUMWATER, Washington - A chemical commonly used at commercial car and truck washes can be dangerous to workers, according to new research by the Washington Department of Labor and Industries.
- Redskins QB Griffin leaves exhibition game with concussion Updated: Aug-20-15 11:59 pm
LANDOVER, Maryland - After watching Robert Griffin III get knocked around for three possessions, Washington Redskins coach Jay Gruden sent his starting quarterback back out for a fourth Thursday night. That one ended with consecutive sacks and Griffin leaving with a concussion.
- Judge mostly rejects NCAA bid for secrecy in civil lawsuit Updated: Aug-20-15 1:56 pm
ROCKVILLE, Maryland - A judge has largely rejected an NCAA bid for secrecy in a civil lawsuit stemming from the brain-injury death of a Frostburg State University football player.
- Woman splashed with unknown liquid in Queens, suffers burns Updated: Aug-20-15 7:01 am
NEW YORK - New York City police say a woman is hospitalized with third-degree burns after a man splashed an unknown liquid in her face.
- Shakhtar's Stepanenko out of hospital following head injury Updated: Aug-20-15 5:56 am
VIENNA - Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Taras Stepanenko has been released from hospital and was traveling back to Ukraine with his team on Thursday, a day after hurting his head in a Champions League playoff game at Rapid Vienna.
- Former NFL players appeal terms of concussion settlement Updated: Aug-17-15 5:51 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Former NFL players who object to terms of the potential $1 billion concussion settlement have filed appeals that are likely to delay payouts to thousands of retirees until next year.
- Indiana hunter goes missing, found with leg injury Updated: Aug-17-15 9:32 am
SULLIVAN, Indiana - A southwestern Indiana man who went missing during a hunting trip was later found by his rescuers with an injured leg.
- Vet resources for dealing with mental impact of war Updated: Aug-16-15 1:16 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - It's estimated that one in five of the 70,000 veterans and active-duty troops in the Pikes Peak region suffers some symptom of war-caused mental illness.
- Man wakes from coma, comes back strong Updated: Aug-16-15 10:31 am
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - When Camron Brummond opened his eyes, he saw two-headed people surrounding the bed he was lying on.
- Questions and answers about the war wound 'moral injury' Updated: Aug-15-15 9:29 am
A psychological wound known as moral injury is gaining attention in the aftermath of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, with veterans now being treated for these injuries to the soul - even as medical experts debate whether moral injury is a condition unto itself or a subset of post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Soldier's journey to heal spotlights 'soul wounds' of war Updated: Aug-15-15 9:21 am
SAN DIEGO - "It was just another day in Mosul," the soldier began, his voice shaking. Sgt. 1st Class Marshall Powell took a deep breath. He couldn't look at the other three servicemen in the group therapy session.
- Giants left fielder Aoki placed on 7-day concussion list Updated: Aug-13-15 10:59 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco Giants placed left fielder Nori Aoki on the seven-day concussion list Thursday, one day after he had to leave the game with symptoms from a head injury sustained against the Cubs last weekend.
- Hospital offers 'cool' therapy for newborns Updated: Aug-13-15 4:10 am
VALPARAISO, Indiana - Tasha Thompson says her baby, Clayton, "just didn't want to come out."