- House panel OKs anti-discrimination bill, won't add LGBT Updated: Feb-08-16 7:25 pm
ATLANTA - A Georgia House panel on Monday approved a bill preventing businesses from discriminating based on race, country of origin or religion, a federal standard first set in the mid-1960s, after Republican members rejected an effort to add protection for gay, lesbian and transgender people to the measure.
- LGBT anti-discrimination bill lives, barely, for another day Updated: Feb-08-16 6:28 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida lawmakers considered giving anti-discrimination protections to gay and transgender people for the first time Monday and ended the discussion in a stalemate for at least one more day.
- Lawmakers to take up bill recognizing hate crimes Updated: Feb-07-16 12:24 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Forty-five states have hate crime laws, but Indiana isn't one of them.
- Study explores how black men find success in college Updated: Feb-07-16 10:15 am
PHILADELPHIA - James Wanda, a senior at Pennsylvania's Lafayette College and one of two black computer science majors in his class, says at times he has felt pressure to succeed not just for himself, but for his entire race.
- Transgender student asks school system to use preferred name Updated: Feb-07-16 9:01 am
MILLERSVILLE, Maryland - Matthew Nolte's report card is stacked with A's, but he scratched out the name on it - which is not Matthew - until the paper wore away, leaving a rectangular hole.
- NY gov moves to stop gay 'conversion' therapy for minors Updated: Feb-06-16 1:24 pm
NEW YORK - New York is taking steps to stop therapists from trying to change young people's sexual orientation, joining a number of states that have taken action against what's known as "conversion therapy."
- Transgender Texas prison inmates can start hormone therapy Updated: Feb-05-16 3:36 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - A change in Texas prison system policy means transgender inmates who hadn't started hormone therapy before incarceration can do so behind bars if they go through a thorough process to confirm the diagnosis.
- Reno community college votes for mascot gender-neutral Updated: Feb-05-16 11:07 am
RENO, Nevada - Students at Truckee Meadows Community College have voted to declare their mascot gender-neutral.
- Virginia panel OKs transgender school bathroom bill Updated: Feb-05-16 2:16 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - A legislative panel has approved a bill that would require students to use the bathroom that corresponds with their biological sex.
- Gov. LePage stops rules for protecting transgender students Updated: Feb-04-16 6:15 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Gov. Paul LePage is stopping the Maine Human Rights Commission and the Department of Education from issuing rules protecting transgender students. Schools instead are being given guidelines that lack the force of law.
- New UN stamp supports gay rights Updated: Feb-04-16 5:56 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations Postal Administration on Thursday released six new postage stamps promoting equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
- Top House Democrat vows gay rights debate will continue Updated: Feb-04-16 4:02 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana House's top Democrat said Thursday that the gay rights debate in the Legislature isn't over, even though the Republican-dominated Senate abandoned an anti-discrimination measure this week.
- Measure voiding transgender athlete policy passes committee Updated: Feb-03-16 3:08 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - A measure that would void a high school activities association policy allowing transgender students to request to play on the athletic team of their choice is headed to the House floor after passing through a committee on Wednesday.
- The Latest: Chamber head says gay-rights failure hurts state Updated: Feb-02-16 5:52 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on the decision of Indiana Republican lawmakers to abandon efforts this year to extend anti-discrimination laws to include sexual orientation (all times local):
- Kokomo council member advocates protection for LGBT Updated: Feb-02-16 4:05 am
KOKOMO, Indiana - A Kokomo Common Council member says the city's public works and welfare committee is working on a proposal that would amend the city's human rights municipal code to include protections for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people.
- Washington bill seeks to ban sex-selective abortions Updated: Feb-01-16 4:57 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Washington state is among a handful of states this year where lawmakers are seeking to ban abortions sought because of the gender of a fetus, something abortion rights groups say is a veiled effort to expand restrictions to abortion in the state.
- Missouri lawmakers look to enforce gender-specific bathrooms Updated: Feb-01-16 3:35 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Missouri high school's protest over a transgender teen's locker room use has prompted state legislators to file several bills that would make schools enforce gender-specific bathrooms and locker rooms.
- Transgender advocates urge changes in Indiana legislation Updated: Feb-01-16 11:01 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Advocates at the Indiana Statehouse are urging lawmakers to include protections for transgender people to proposed civil rights legislation.
- Massachusetts Senate OKs bill that would ensure equal pay Updated: Jan-28-16 3:42 pm
BOSTON - The Massachusetts Senate unanimously approved a bill Thursday that would ensure men and women earn equal pay for comparable work.
- Senate panel passes reversal of transgender bathroom rule Updated: Jan-27-16 10:55 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - A bill that would eliminate Washington's new rule allowing transgender people to use bathrooms and locker rooms in public buildings consistent with their gender identity passed out of a Senate committee 4-3 Wednesday.
- House votes to send student bathroom bill to state Senate Updated: Jan-27-16 9:04 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - A bill limiting transgender students' bathroom and locker room usage may have a better chance of passing the state Senate than efforts last year to void an activities association policy to accommodate transgender athletes, Majority Leader Corey Brown said Wednesday.
- Missouri business groups divided on LGBT-discrimination ban Updated: Jan-27-16 8:14 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri businesses are divided over a proposed ban on discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, with some companies during a Wednesday hearing backing the measure as needed to recruit top candidates and some powerful business groups countering it could lead to more lawsuits.
- Norwegian preschool drops carnival over gender stereotypes Updated: Jan-27-16 3:52 pm
STAVANGER, Norway - A preschool in egalitarian Norway has canceled its traditional carnival celebration saying it encourages gender stereotypes, with boys dressing up in macho superhero costumes and girls in frilly princess dresses.
- Attorney urges court to rule in transgender student's favor Updated: Jan-27-16 3:11 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Public schools and courts across the country will be closely watching a Virginia case for guidance on restroom policies about gender and gender identity, a lawyer for a transgender teenager said Wednesday after a hearing before a Richmond-based federal appeals court.
- 'Carol,' 'The Danish Girl' among GLAAD Media Awards nominees Updated: Jan-27-16 12:28 pm
LOS ANGELES - "The Danish Girl" is up for a GLAAD Media Award in a year where a record number of nominees feature transgender characters and subject matter.