- Man charged in transgender woman's slaying in Tampa Updated: Jul-31-15 4:25 pm
TAMPA, Florida - Authorities in Florida say a man has been charged with murder in the shooting death of a transgender woman.
- HBO chief says 'Game of Thrones' could wrap after 8 seasons Updated: Jul-31-15 1:30 am
BEVERLY HILLS, California - Here's a roundup of news Thursday from the Television Critics Association summer meeting, at which TV networks and streaming services are presenting details on upcoming programs:
- Louganis contemplates his, fellow Olympian Jenner's journeys Updated: Jul-31-15 12:47 am
BEVERLY HILLS, California - Greg Louganis said he was unaware of fellow Olympian Bruce Jenner's gender identity struggle when their paths crossed at the Summer 1976 Games and in later years.
- Investigator: Transgender girl killed was beaten to death Updated: Jul-30-15 3:10 am
LUCEDALE, Mississippi - An investigator says a transgender teenager who was found buried on the suspect's father's property in George County earlier this year was beaten to death.
- Elkhart mayor asks city council to withdraw LGBT ordinance Updated: Jul-28-15 12:50 pm
ELKHART, Indiana - Elkhart's mayor wants City Council members to withdraw his proposed ordinance seeking anti-discrimination protections for gays, lesbians and others after it sparked strong local opposition, but he's not completely giving up on the issue.
- Chand aims to qualify for Rio Olympics after CAS verdict Updated: Jul-28-15 12:42 pm
NEW DELHI - Indian sprinter Dutee Chand will aim to qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games after the Court of Arbitration for Sport's decision to suspend IAAF rules that could have blocked women with high levels of male hormones from competing in Rio de Janeiro.
- Ex-Iowa field hockey coach files state civil rights action Updated: Jul-28-15 8:55 am
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A former field hockey coach who was fired at the University of Iowa last year has filed a state civil rights complaint.
- Rio de Janeiro prisons seek to protect transgender inmates Updated: Jul-28-15 1:59 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - When Estefanie Ferraz went to prison, she had been living as a woman for around a decade, had undergone more than half a dozen plastic surgeries including breast and cheek implants to enhance her feminine looks, and was saving up for a sex change operation.
- Part of lawsuit on school transgender bathroom policy tossed Updated: Jul-27-15 5:34 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - A judge in Virginia has dismissed part of a lawsuit filed by a transgender student barred from using the boys' bathrooms at his high school.
- Actor and activist James Lecesne celebrates difference Updated: Jul-27-15 8:25 am
NEW YORK - During a recent interview in an empty midtown theater, James Lecesne is heckled - by his phone.
- Transgender teen from Conn. looks to the future Updated: Jul-26-15 3:09 am
GREENWICH, Connecticut - In ninth grade, Evan Connors was taken to the hospital three times. He was reclusive. He was mute. He hated himself.
- Conference aims to unite efforts of black activist groups Updated: Jul-24-15 5:20 pm
CLEVELAND - Leaders of black activist groups from around the country are gathering in Cleveland this weekend to share thoughts, ideas and stories at a conference aimed at furthering the creation of a modern-day civil rights movement to address systemic problems of police brutality and socio-economic deprivation.
- Texas court sidelines Houston's nondiscrimination ordinance Updated: Jul-24-15 3:28 pm
HOUSTON - Houston must repeal a newly adopted equal rights ordinance or let voters decide if they want to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, the Texas Supreme Court ordered Friday.
- Transgender youths show hardship, resilience Updated: Jul-23-15 8:22 pm
MIAMI - The transgender community has gained a degree of acceptance in recent years with the help of such celebrities as Caitlyn Jenner and Laverne Cox from "Orange is the New Black." But for those who are less known it can be more of a struggle. Many young transgender people, wrestling with their identities, find themselves shunned by family, friends and co-workers. Episodes of homelessness, alcoholism, drug abuse and violence often follow.
- Slayed transgender woman remembered as loving, confident Updated: Jul-23-15 5:07 pm
TAMPA, Florida - Friends and family of a transgender woman found dead at a Tampa Bay area park gathered to remember her as a loving, confident and happy person.
- Utah LGBT leader says more help needed for transgender Updated: Jul-23-15 1:16 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The new leader of one of Utah's most important LGBT organizations marvels at the rapid progress made on gay and lesbian issues, but says the growing transgender community still faces harsh discrimination.
- 'I Am Cait' debuts as a docuseries with a broader purpose Updated: Jul-22-15 2:37 pm
NEW YORK - It's the next step in the biggest celebrity story of the year.
- Dixie State and ex-basketball players in settlement talks Updated: Jul-21-15 6:58 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Dixie State University is in settlement talks with two former women's basketball players who sued the college, alleging racial, sexual and religious discrimination, attorneys for both sides said Tuesday.
- Arkansas city to keep anti-discrimination ordinance Updated: Jul-21-15 4:08 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The mayor of a northwest Arkansas city on Tuesday said a measure banning discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity will continue being enforced despite a new state law aimed at prohibiting such ordinances.
- New York issues districts guidance for transgender students Updated: Jul-20-15 5:25 pm
Teachers of transgender students should follow the students' lead when deciding which names or pronouns to use and schools should avoid practices rooted in stereotypes, like having color-coded graduation gowns for girls and boys, according to state-issued guidance for accommodating transgender students in New York schools.
- Kansas judge denies state request in abortion lawsuit Updated: Jul-17-15 7:19 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas judge has denied a state request to rule that an anti-abortion law does not violate the equal protection clause or discriminate against women.
- Sex orientation added to Terre Haute anti-discrimination law Updated: Jul-17-15 1:16 pm
TERRE HAUTE, Indiana - The Terre Haute City Council has passed an amendment adding sexual orientation and gender identity to its local anti-discrimination ordinance.
- The Latest: Lots of hugs - and work - await Emmy nominee Updated: Jul-16-15 3:48 pm
WEST HOLLYWOOD, California - Here's the latest on the 67th annual Primetime Emmy nominations announced Thursday in West Hollywood, California, by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (all times local):
- Emotional Caitlyn Jenner accepts Ashe Courage Award at ESPYs Updated: Jul-16-15 6:25 am
LOS ANGELES - Caitlyn Jenner accepted the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the ESPYs on Wednesday night while urging acceptance for others who are transgender.
- Conservative leader urges defeat of gay protection proposals Updated: Jul-15-15 3:34 pm
ELKHART, Indiana - A prominent conservative lobbyist is working to defeat proposals in two northern Indiana cities for anti-discrimination protections based on sexual orientation and gender identity.