- University survey looks at issues for transgendered Updated: Sep-01-15 4:08 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A national survey conducted by the University of Illinois-Springfield shows positive attitudes toward the rights of transgendered people.
- Parents object to transgender student using men's restroom Updated: Sep-01-15 3:16 am
TROY, Ohio - A group of parents have voiced their displeasure with a western Ohio school district's decision to grant access to the men's restroom for a transgender student.
- Hate crime charge in attack on transgender woman at Target Updated: Aug-31-15 10:55 pm
GLENDALE, California - Police say a man has been charged with committing a hate crime against a transgender woman at a Southern California Target store.
- Email shows U. Iowa 'mandate' for female coach Updated: Aug-31-15 2:58 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - University of Iowa athletics department administrators ordered a female be hired over male candidates for an assistant track coaching job regardless of qualifications, an internal email from the head coach alleges.
- University defends mattress-carrying project against lawsuit Updated: Aug-28-15 6:29 pm
NEW YORK - Citing the importance of the First Amendment, Columbia University asked a judge Friday to reject a student's lawsuit alleging the school failed to protect him after a onetime friend called him a "serial rapist" and carried a mattress around campus to protest sexual abuse.
- Twitter sets modest goals to diversity its workforce Updated: Aug-28-15 5:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Twitter is setting modest goals to diversify its workforce while it fights a proposed class-action lawsuit that says the online messaging service discriminates against its female employees.
- Tennessee students asked to use gender-neutral pronouns Updated: Aug-28-15 11:06 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - University of Tennessee students have been asked to use gender-neutral pronouns such as "ze."
- Japan requires companies to set goals in hiring female execs Updated: Aug-28-15 8:21 am
TOKYO - Japanese lawmakers approved a law Friday requiring large employers to set and publicize targets for hiring or promoting women as managers.
- Group keeps policy on transgender high school athletes Updated: Aug-27-15 8:23 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota's high school activities association on Thursday largely maintained its policy allowing transgender student athletes to request to play on the team of their choice, increasing the likelihood Republicans in the statehouse will push legislation to change it.
- Transgender inmate claims guard raped her at Rikers Island Updated: Aug-27-15 4:52 am
NEW YORK - A transgender inmate transitioning into a woman claims she was repeatedly raped by a Rikers Island corrections officer and jail officials turned a blind eye.
- Ahead of pope's visit to US, some friction over LGBT issues Updated: Aug-26-15 2:09 am
The World Meeting of Families, the central religious event of Pope Francis' first visit to the United States, is intended to convey a message of love and joy as it seeks to promote church teaching on marriage. Yet four weeks away from its opening in Philadelphia, friction is mounting as lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Roman Catholics lobby for a broader role in the event and organizers move to limit them.
- Maryland issues guidance to address police profiling Updated: Aug-25-15 12:07 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh is issuing statewide guidelines to prevent discriminatory profiling by law enforcement based on race, gender and other characteristics.
- Islamic State claims to kill 30 for sodomy, UN meeting told Updated: Aug-24-15 5:28 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Islamic State extremist group has claimed responsibility for killing at least 30 people for sodomy, the head of an international gay rights organization said Monday at the first-ever U.N. Security Council meeting spotlighting violence and discrimination against lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people.
- Augusta Civic Center worker suing for gender discrimination Updated: Aug-24-15 4:08 pm
BANGOR, Maine - An Augusta arena worker has filed a workplace discrimination lawsuit against the city.
- US Marine admits choking transgender Filipino, denies murder Updated: Aug-24-15 10:46 am
MANILA, Philippines - A U.S. Marine charged with murder testified in court Monday that he choked a Filipino unconscious during a fight that started when he discovered that she was a transgender woman in a Philippine motel but stressed that he didn't kill her, his lawyer said.
- Transgender Wisconsin prison inmates sues to live as woman Updated: Aug-24-15 7:58 am
MILWAUKEE - A transgender Wisconsin prison inmate is suing officials, saying they're violating her rights by not allowing her to live as a woman.
- Helping others understand transgender transition Updated: Aug-22-15 2:07 am
BOULDER, Colorado - Phyllis Whitley raised a daughter, but she now has a son.
- Laramie school district considers transgender student policy Updated: Aug-20-15 10:41 am
LARAMIE, Wyoming - A Laramie school district is considering a policy to extend discrimination protections to transgender and non-gender conforming students.
- Ballot wording for Houston gay rights ordinance rejected Updated: Aug-19-15 11:31 am
HOUSTON - The Texas Supreme Court says voters in Houston must decide whether they want an equal right ordinance in their city - and not whether the existing one should be repealed.
- Kansas City police investigating run over fatality Updated: Aug-19-15 8:10 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Authorities are investigating the death of a transgender woman who died after being run over several times in northeast Kansas City.
- First openly transgender official hired at White House Updated: Aug-18-15 11:44 am
EDGARTOWN, Massachusetts - The White House has hired its first openly transgender staff member.
- Carmel officials hold off on proposed LGBT protections Updated: Aug-18-15 8:05 am
CARMEL, Indiana - City officials in the Indianapolis suburb of Carmel are waiting to take action on a proposal to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Over 60 same-sex couples married at Puerto Rico wedding Updated: Aug-16-15 6:50 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Over 60 couples from around the region gathered in Puerto Rico's capital Sunday to exchange vows at a same-sex marriage ceremony while a crowd of supporters snapped photos and cheered.
- Man charged in transgender slaying, now charged in 2nd death Updated: Aug-15-15 12:41 pm
TAMPA, Florida - Authorities say a southwest Florida man charged in the shooting death of a transgender woman has been charged in a second killing.
- High rate of homelessness among King County's LGBTQ youth Updated: Aug-15-15 6:16 am
SEATTLE - She perches in her stress-relieving nirvana: atop a rock just off a trail in a North Seattle park, shrouded by trees.