- Education officials urged to protect transgender students Updated: May-05-16 9:40 am
HONOLULU - Transgender community leaders and supporters are calling on Hawaii education officials to implement policies and training for staff to help ensure the safety and fair treatment of transgender students.
- North Carolina leaders denounce federal threat on LGBT law Updated: May-05-16 3:23 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Giving no indication of yielding to pressure, North Carolina's Republican leaders called a federal warning about the legality of the state's new law limiting LGBT anti-discrimination rules a broad overreach by the government.
- Illinois families sue over transgender access to locker room Updated: May-04-16 11:13 pm
CHICAGO - Dozens of families took legal action Wednesday in a bid to stop a suburban Chicago school district from allowing a transgender student to use a girls' locker room and restroom, arguing the policy trampled on the privacy rights of other students.
- The Latest: NC gov says federal warning on law 'overreach' Updated: May-04-16 7:54 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on the U.S. Justice Department's letter Wednesday stating that a North Carolina law that limits protections to LGBT people violates federal civil rights laws (all times local):
- Sidelined: LGBT laws, NCAA policy could keep teams at home Updated: May-04-16 6:05 pm
Teams could pull out of scheduled NCAA events this spring because of new state laws in North Carolina, Mississippi and Tennessee while the sport's governing body's demands for discrimination-free environments at the places where its events are held won't take effect until the fall.
- Alabama city's leaders vote to recall bathroom ordinance Updated: May-04-16 5:59 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Leaders of an east Alabama city Wednesday repealed an ordinance that would have imposed criminal penalties on people for using a restroom that doesn't match their gender at birth.
- Beyonce statement calls for equality in North Carolina Updated: May-04-16 4:08 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Beyonce is supporting efforts to overturn a North Carolina law limiting legal protections to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
- Boston traffic reporter comes out as a woman Updated: May-04-16 3:38 pm
BOSTON - The familiar voice coming over the radios of tens of thousands of Boston area drivers on the way to work Wednesday was the same. But the name had changed.
- Global gender gap in politics wide, women legislators say Updated: May-04-16 2:07 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - Encouraging women to enter local politics, setting quotas in parliaments and pushing legislation on gender equality help narrow gender gaps in politics, participants at a conference of women lawmakers said Wednesday.
- Court rules former coach's lawsuit against Texas can proceed Updated: May-03-16 7:47 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - A race and gender discrimination lawsuit filed against the University of Texas by former women's track coach Bev Kearney can proceed, a state appeals court ruled Tuesday.
- Target faces backlash on stance on transgender bathrooms Updated: May-03-16 4:57 pm
NEW YORK - Consumer backlash is growing against Target's stance on what type of bathrooms its transgender customers and employees can use.
- Va. school board appeals transgender restroom ruling Updated: May-03-16 4:51 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A Virginia school board has asked the full 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to review a panel's ruling that a transgender teen must be allowed to use the boys' restroom at school.
- Chicago: Students can access bathrooms by gender identity Updated: May-03-16 3:30 pm
CHICAGO - Chicago Public Schools will allow transgender students and employees to use bathrooms and locker rooms corresponding to their gender identities, according to guidelines released Tuesday by the nation's third-largest school district.
- Shouts and Song: Clash at meeting over transgender bathrooms Updated: May-03-16 9:11 am
CONWAY, South Carolina - About 500 people turned out, some of them singing and shouting to drown out others, as the Horry County Board of Education discussed the use of bathrooms by transgender students.
- Columbus bans non-essential worker travel to North Carolina Updated: May-03-16 3:36 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Columbus has passed a plan barring city employees from traveling to North Carolina on non-essential business in a show of support for the transgender community.
- Dallas suburb rejects restrictions on public bathrooms Updated: May-02-16 10:49 pm
ROCKWALL, Texas - A Dallas suburb has rejected its mayor's proposal targeting transgender people from using the public bathrooms of their choice.
- Christie vetoes New Jersey gender-equality legislation Updated: May-02-16 6:07 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie on Monday rejected legislation tightening requirements that New Jersey employers pay workers doing the same job equally, regardless of gender.
- Transgender pride flag raised at Boston City Hall Updated: May-02-16 5:50 pm
BOSTON - Mayor Marty Walsh says a transgender pride flag raised Monday over Boston City Hall plaza will continue to fly until everyone is equal under the law in Massachusetts.
- Education secretary calls for repeal of 2 transgender laws Updated: May-02-16 5:34 pm
BOSTON - Laws in North Carolina and Mississippi that restrict the rights of transgender Americans are hateful and should be repealed, Education Secretary John B. King Jr. said Monday.
- Former Bismarck volleyball coach alleges gender bias Updated: May-02-16 4:24 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - A women's volleyball coach who was fired from a private Catholic university in Bismarck after less than a year on the job says the school opted to get rid of her rather than investigate her complaints about gender bias.
- Country stars plan to continue playing in North Carolina Updated: May-02-16 1:00 pm
INGLEWOOD, California - Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Ringo Starr and other artists plan to skip North Carolina performances as part of a musicians' boycott over a new law that limits protections to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, but several stars at Sunday's American Country Countdown Awards said they plan to stand by their fans.
- LGBT inclusion in films static, diversity drops, study says Updated: May-02-16 6:36 am
LOS ANGELES - Hollywood films remained static in their inclusiveness of LGBT characters in 2015, but the racial diversity of those characters fell dramatically, according to the findings of GLAAD's annual study.
- Pittsburgh schools to hold workshop on transgender plan Updated: May-02-16 6:23 am
PITTSBURGH - Officials and the public will start talking about a proposed transgender nondiscrimination policy for Pittsburgh's public schools.
- Gender politics playing a big role for Trump, Clinton Updated: May-02-16 3:45 am
WASHINGTON - She has no stamina. She shouts. She's got nothing going for her but being a woman.
- LGBT rights protesters vow to keep fighting Mississippi law Updated: May-01-16 9:14 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Hundreds of supporters of lesbian, gay bisexual and transgender rights protested Sunday against a new Mississippi law they call discriminatory, saying they're not giving up their fight.