- Polygamists ask judge to strike down Montana's bigamy laws Updated: Aug-27-15 6:07 pm
HELENA, Montana - A Billings man, his wife and his common-law wife filed a federal lawsuit Thursday that seeks to strike down Montana's bigamy laws and argues the state is unconstitutionally preventing them from legitimizing their polygamous relationship.
- Indiana Supreme Court hears dispute over '0INK' plate Updated: Aug-27-15 3:08 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana's highest court heard arguments Thursday on whether a police officer was wrongly denied a vanity license plate saying '0INK,' which state officials had deemed offensive.
- Court: Lawsuit can proceed in Oklahoma officer shooting Updated: Aug-24-15 5:26 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The widow and daughter of a Seminole man who was fatally shot at his home by a drug court compliance officer can move forward with their federal lawsuit against the officer and county sheriff, an appeals court ruled Monday.
- Law challenged over tribal intervention in adoption cases Updated: Aug-24-15 4:01 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - A couple's lawsuit contends that an Oklahoma law allowing tribes to intervene in private adoption cases involving Native American children violates their constitutional rights.
- Lawsuit challenges Virginia visitors guide rules and fees Updated: Aug-24-15 11:52 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - A Virginia Beach visitors guide publisher is challenging the rules and fees for distributing information at Virginia welcome centers and rest areas.
- Boston woman files civil rights suit against MBTA police Updated: Aug-19-15 4:46 pm
BOSTON - A Boston woman filed a civil rights lawsuit Wednesday against two transit police officers, alleging they beat and pepper-sprayed her when she tried to help a woman she says was being shoved by the officers.
- Ohio trooper advertised 'traffic stop sex' on Craigslist Updated: Aug-17-15 6:36 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A state trooper accused of forcing female motorists into sexual acts in exchange for dropping traffic charges used Craigslist to offer "traffic stop sex," according to records released Monday that highlight the women's fear of reporting him.
- Family of biracial man killed by Madison officer files suit Updated: Aug-12-15 6:04 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The family of a biracial man who was shot and killed by a Wisconsin police officer filed a federal civil rights lawsuit Wednesday, alleging the officer's actions were unconstitutional.
- NY inmates lawsuit alleging sex abuse by guard is reinstated Updated: Aug-12-15 9:53 am
ALBANY, New York - A federal appeals court has reinstated the lawsuit filed by two former New York inmates alleging sex abuse by a state prison guard, concluding it would be a civil rights violation if true.
- US judge: Sheriff didn't violate Hispanics' civil rights Updated: Aug-07-15 6:34 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - The U.S. Justice Department failed to prove a North Carolina county sheriff ordered deputies to target Hispanic residents in violation of their civil rights, a federal judge ruled Friday.
- Coal protesters, firm still battle over song lyrics in suit Updated: Aug-05-15 6:57 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The lyrics of a more than 40-year-old strip-mining protest song still amount to fighting words in Wyoming, where a lawsuit pits environmentalists against one of the nation's largest coal mining companies.