- Obama: China 'putting out feelers' about joining trade pact Updated: Jun-03-15 4:37 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said China has made inquiries about potentially joining a Trans-Pacific trade agreement in the future, introducing a new variable to an unfolding debate in Congress over granting him the power to negotiate such international deals.
- Kansas House passes budget requiring higher taxes to balance Updated: Jun-03-15 4:36 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has approved a budget that would still leave the state with a $406 million shortfall.
- US trade deficit drops sharply in April Updated: Jun-03-15 4:28 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. trade deficit declined sharply in April as exports posted a modest gain and imports fell, raising hopes that trade's drag on economic growth will ease in the current quarter.
- Lawmakers approve higher education, justice budget plans Updated: Jun-03-15 4:26 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Legislature has approved budgets for education and justice departments, as lawmakers push to adjourn the session this week.
- Dayton ties special session to repeal of auditor changes Updated: Jun-03-15 4:20 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - With a partial shutdown of Minnesota's government looming absent a budget deal, Gov. Mark Dayton issued an ultimatum Wednesday that he won't call a special session to finish the work unless lawmakers repeal a recently adopted shift in responsibilities for the state auditor.
- Longtime Cuomo aide new leader of NY horse racing board Updated: Jun-03-15 4:12 pm
ALBANY, New York - An Albany insider with longstanding ties to the Cuomo family is taking control of the New York Racing Association after its chairman went on leave just days before its premiere event, the Belmont Stakes.
- $4 million fire-prevention grant ignites passions in Oakland Updated: Jun-03-15 4:10 pm
OAKLAND, California - City officials accepted a $4 million federal grant to chop down trees in the ritzy Oakland hills, a decision that ignited debate over how best to prevent deadly wildfires in the affluent Northern California region.
- Analysis: NSA bill barely touches the agency's vast powers Updated: Jun-03-15 4:04 pm
WASHINGTON - The surveillance law enacted this week stands as the most significant curb on the government's investigative authorities since the 1970s. But it's practically inconsequential in the universe of the National Security Agency's vast digital spying operations, a technical overhaul of a marginal counterterrorism program that some NSA officials wanted to jettison anyway.
- The latest on Connecticut legislature: Sunday hunting OK'd Updated: Jun-03-15 3:54 pm
- Michigan lawmakers approve $54.5 billion budget Updated: Jun-03-15 3:52 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan lawmakers have approved a $54.5 billion state spending plan for the budget year starting in four months.
- Top NY regulator issues final rules for bitcoin licenses Updated: Jun-03-15 3:47 pm
WASHINGTON - New York state's chief financial regulator has issued final rules for companies dealing in bitcoin, adding more oversight to the virtual currency that has widened in popularity and moved into the commercial mainstream.
- Vos: Maybe there should be no new borrowing for roads Updated: Jun-03-15 3:44 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Assembly Speaker Robin Vos says Republicans are discussing delaying $1.3 billion worth of highway construction and other roads projects across Wisconsin since Gov. Scott Walker is unwilling to raises taxes or fees to pay for it.
- AP News Guide to case against former Speaker Dennis Hastert Updated: Jun-03-15 3:44 pm
CHICAGO - Former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert will appear in federal court next week on charges that he evaded banking regulations as part of a plan to pay $3.5 million to a person to keep quiet about past misconduct. A person familiar with the allegations told The Associated Press that the payments were to conceal claims that the Illinois Republican sexually molested someone decades ago.
- Senate plowing ahead on $612 billion defense policy bill Updated: Jun-03-15 3:39 pm
WASHINGTON - The GOP-led Senate plowed ahead Wednesday on a $612 billion annual defense policy bill despite a White House veto threat and the Democratic leader's claim that it is an exercise in futility.
- Contact lens makers ask court to block Utah price-fixing law Updated: Jun-03-15 3:30 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Three of the nation's largest contact lens manufacturers call a Utah law banning price fixing a brazen overreach that would give any discount seller in the state an illegal end run around minimum prices set by the companies.
- Greek leader defends bailout plan in talks with creditors Updated: Jun-03-15 3:25 pm
BRUSSELS - Greece's prime minister entered a showdown with creditors on Wednesday in Brussels, where each side would present proposals in the hope of reaching a deal to unlock bailout loans and save the country from financial disaster.
- Casino near NYC would shake up Northeast gambling market Updated: Jun-03-15 2:48 pm
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey - A proposed Hard Rock casino in the New Jersey Meadowlands region just outside New York City could be open in a year and would shake up the already rapidly changing gambling market in the northeastern United States.
- Lawmakers in House kill key bill in budget negotiations Updated: Jun-03-15 2:32 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - House lawmakers have rejected a centerpiece of ongoing budget negotiations, a bill sought by Gov. Bobby Jindal to maintain his record against tax increases.
- Kansas Senate passes tax bill; talks with House expected Updated: Jun-03-15 2:13 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate has approved a bill creating an amnesty program for delinquent taxpayers and decreasing the state's sales tax on food.
- Maggi noodles ordered off India's shelves due to lead level Updated: Jun-03-15 2:10 pm
NEW DELHI - Indian shopkeepers withdrew a popular brand of Nestle instant noodles from their shelves Wednesday after tests revealed the snack contained unsafe levels of lead.
- How do justices weigh loss of health insurance for millions? Updated: Jun-03-15 1:35 pm
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court could wipe away health insurance for millions of Americans when it resolves the latest fight over President Barack Obama's health overhaul. But would the court take away a benefit from so many people? Should the justices even consider such consequences?
- 11 Arkansas airports to receive grants for repairs, upgrades Updated: Jun-03-15 1:01 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas' congressional delegation has announced a total of $6.5 million in federal grants that will be shared by 11 Arkansas airports.
- Jesse Matthew lawyers seek to ban media at pretrial hearing Updated: Jun-03-15 12:34 pm
FAIRFAX, Virginia - Lawyers for the man charged with killing University of Virginia student Hannah Graham want a judge to ban reporters from a pretrial hearing in a separate case.
- Kansas Democrats unveil short-term budget to avoid furloughs Updated: Jun-03-15 12:27 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Democrats have announced a plan to avoid state worker furloughs if a budget deal is not passed by June 7.
- Alabama House committee approves business, road tax bills Updated: Jun-03-15 11:56 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A House committee has approved two tax bills in the closing days of the legislative session, although neither is considered a solution to the state's budget woes.