- Q&A: Ryan weighs speaker post, conservatives still a puzzle Updated: Oct-12-15 4:49 pm
WASHINGTON - Rep. Paul Ryan says he doesn't want to be the next House speaker but he's thinking it through - even as the Republican establishment pressures him to just do it.
- House conservatives oppose McCarthy, search for alternative Updated: Oct-07-15 5:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The House's most hard-edged conservatives are anxious to derail Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's bid to become speaker, but they're outnumbered and their chosen candidate lacks support. That leaves the Californian the heavy favorite when Republicans pick their candidate to replace John Boehner on Thursday.
- Pope aims to assure conservatives marriage doctrine safe Updated: Oct-06-15 11:29 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis sought Tuesday to assure conservatives that Catholic doctrine on marriage is safe, as a three-week meeting of bishops began hashing out how the church should welcome gays, divorcees and other Catholics in "irregular" unions.
- GOP religious conservatives channeling anger toward victory Updated: Sep-27-15 5:11 am
WASHINGTON - Religious activists in the Republican Party, bolstered by House Speaker John Boehner's sudden exit, say the next GOP presidential nominee must share their uncompromising stance on abortion rights, gay marriage and other priorities to get to the White House.
- Boehner's resignation prompts cheers among GOP's right wing Updated: Sep-26-15 2:49 am
WASHINGTON - The news of House Speaker John Boehner's resignation brought hundreds of religious conservatives to their feet to cheer - and one after another, much of the Republican Party's presidential class joined in their rejoicing.
- GOP leaders face difficult battle to avert federal shutdown Updated: Sep-14-15 4:16 am
WASHINGTON - No government shutdown this year, Republican congressional leaders say. But with Congress, it's never easy.