- Ex-news director says shooter was 'professional victim' Updated: Aug-28-15 8:02 am
HONOLULU - The former news director of a Virginia television station says the fired employee who shot two ex-colleagues on live television had a long history of being a "professional victim."
- New plant, industry, jobs announced for Hancock County Updated: Aug-28-15 7:59 am
BAY ST. LOUIS, Mississippi - DAK Americas, a company that already operates the largest plastic-resin manufacturer in North America at Port Bienville Industrial Park in Hancock County, has announced a new manufacturing plant at the site that will produce 230 million pounds of polyester staple fibers a year.
- Hardwood molding company creating 90 jobs in Somerset Updated: Aug-28-15 4:06 am
SOMERSET, Kentucky - A hardwood molding company is expanding to Somerset, creating 90 jobs with a $2.6 million investment.
- New Missouri court fines, sex ed laws set to take effect Updated: Aug-27-15 5:15 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Numerous new Missouri laws are set to take effect Friday, ranging from legislation addressing concerns about court fines raised after the fatal police shooting of a black 18-year-old in Ferguson to child-proof packaging for liquid nicotine used in electronic cigarettes.
- Kansas plans state's first public summit on drones Updated: Aug-27-15 7:17 am
WICHITA, Kansas - Kansas officials are planning a public summit on drones this fall.
- Arkansas governor says work to continue after faith summit Updated: Aug-26-15 5:48 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Wednesday he wants the state to continue working with faith leaders about ways to address a shortage in foster homes and needs for re-entry programs for prisoners after a two-day summit focused on the topics.
- Novo Nordisk adding diabetes drug output in NC, Denmark Updated: Aug-26-15 4:47 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Danish drug maker Novo Nordisk said Wednesday it will open new factories in North Carolina and Denmark as pharmaceutical companies seek to keep up with demand for diabetes medications in an increasingly overweight world.
- DENSO investing $400M for expansion, adding 500 jobs Updated: Aug-26-15 4:04 am
MARYVILLE, Tennessee - DENSO Manufacturing Tennessee's plant in Maryville is expanding with a $400 million investment expected to bring 500 new jobs to East Tennessee.
- Sitel to bring 500 new jobs to Starkville Updated: Aug-25-15 4:08 pm
STARKVILLE, Mississippi - A company that provides customer service workers for contracting clients plans to add 500 jobs at its call center in Starkville.
- Vacuum maker opens NC site, has been hiring for months Updated: Aug-25-15 12:22 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - The maker of the Hoover, Dirt Devil and Oreck vacuum cleaners plans to hire about 200 workers in Charlotte over the next two years and started hiring months ago.
- ND regulators approve transfer of wind project to Xcel Updated: Aug-24-15 6:11 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota regulators approved the ownership transfer Monday of an unfinished $300 million wind farm project in the southeastern part of the state to a Minneapolis utility.
- Beef plant vows to follow hiring rules, avoid discrimination Updated: Aug-24-15 5:57 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - A beef production plant based in Omaha is promising to update its hiring practices to avoid discrimination as part of an agreement with authorities.
- Securities officials go after Bellevue developer Updated: Aug-24-15 4:49 pm
SEATTLE - The Securities and Exchange Commission filed a complaint and sought a restraining order Monday against the head of an investment firm, saying he bilked more than 250 Chinese investors out of millions of dollars on two real estate projects - a skyscraper in downtown Seattle and a development in Everett.
- AP survey: Dimmer outlook for US economy, wages and hiring Updated: Aug-24-15 2:13 pm
WASHINGTON - For much of the economy's fitful and sluggish six-year recovery from the Great Recession, analysts have foreseen a sunnier future: Growth would pick up in six months, or in a year.
- Sitel call center to add 200 jobs in Augusta Updated: Aug-24-15 1:29 pm
AUGUSTA, Georgia - A company that provides customer service workers for contracting clients plans to add 200 jobs at its call center in Augusta.
- RV parts manufacturer to build in northern Indiana Updated: Aug-24-15 4:04 am
BRISTOL, Indiana - A recreation vehicle parts maker has announced plans to build a $13.5 million headquarters in northern Indiana that will create up to 120 jobs in three years.
- Ice cream maker to get $644,400 in tax breaks for expansion Updated: Aug-22-15 5:34 pm
LE MARS, Iowa - A state board has awarded the maker of Wells Blue Bunny ice cream $644,400 in tax incentives to help finance an expansion in Le Mars that is expected to create 19 new jobs.
- Legal showdown looms over the NCAA's ban on paying athletes Updated: Aug-22-15 12:10 pm
ATLANTA - Fresh off a ruling that Northwestern University football players can't form a union, the NCAA is about to face a more direct challenge to its longstanding policy of not letting schools pay athletes like they're professionals.
- California jobless rate drops to 6.2 percent in July Updated: Aug-21-15 4:46 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's jobless rate dropped to 6.2 percent in July, a slight decrease from a month earlier, as the state added 80,600 nonfarm payroll jobs, the state Employment Development Department reported Friday.
- Montana's unemployment rate up slight to 4 percent in July Updated: Aug-21-15 4:07 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana's seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate rose slightly in July to 4 percent, an increase of 0.1 percentage points over the previous month.
- Appeals court reinstates wage rules for home care workers Updated: Aug-21-15 3:33 pm
WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court on Friday revived Obama administration regulations that guarantee overtime and minimum wage protection to nearly 2 million home health care workers.
- Florida jobless rate dipped slightly in June Updated: Aug-21-15 1:32 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida's unemployment rate continues to drop slightly.
- Arkansas' jobless rate slides to 5.6 percent in July Updated: Aug-21-15 11:04 am
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The state says Arkansas' unemployment rate dropped one-tenth of a percentage point in July to 5.6 percent. That's down from 6 percent a year ago.
- Center One plans call center with 50 jobs in Pennsylvania Updated: Aug-21-15 10:01 am
BEAVER FALLS, Pennsylvania - A Buffalo, New York-based customer service company plans to open a call center in western Pennsylvania once it hires 50 people to work there.
- Amazon.com picks San Marcos for 5th Texas fulfillment center Updated: Aug-21-15 9:55 am
SAN MARCOS, Texas - Amazon.com Inc. plans to build a fifth fulfillment center in Texas.