- Madison-based AnchorBank to cut 101 jobs in next 3 months Updated: Jul-02-15 3:55 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Madison-based AnchorBank is cutting 14 percent of its workforce as part of an effort to save money.
- Mental health institutes effectively closed, future unclear Updated: Jul-01-15 1:50 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Two state mental health institutes have been effectively closed, even though an aide says Gov. Terry Branstad is still reviewing whether to approve a legislative compromise to continue funding the facilities.
- Fewer students lead to layoffs at Drexel Updated: Jul-01-15 6:22 am
PHILADELPHIA - Fewer students mean fewer employees at Drexel University.
- China's manufacturing weak in June, more jobs cut Updated: Jul-01-15 12:17 am
BEIJING - China's manufacturing was weak in June and employers cut more jobs, two surveys showed Wednesday, in a new sign the world's second-largest economy is struggling to emerge from a slump.
- Rhode Island Blood Center to lay off 60 staff members Updated: Jun-26-15 3:40 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Blood Center will lay off approximately 60 staff members as part of an organizational restructuring.
- Missouri-based Mercy Health system announces layoffs Updated: Jun-26-15 5:08 am
CHESTERFIELD, Missouri - A Missouri-based Catholic health care system says roughly 350 jobs it plans to cut in four states include 126 in the St. Louis region.
- Iowa farm equipment maker Kinze lays off 215 workers Updated: Jun-24-15 6:29 pm
WILLIAMSBURG, Iowa - Iowa farm equipment maker Kinze Manufacturing says it must lay off 215 workers as business has slowed because of the impact of low grain prices on farmer purchases.
- Pittsburgh's Education Management to cut 300 jobs Updated: Jun-24-15 5:10 pm
PITTSBURGH - A Pittsburgh-based company that runs for-profit colleges and trade schools is cutting 300 jobs nationwide, including 70 in Pittsburgh, to deal with declining enrollment.
- Guardian Industries closing Pennsylvania plant, idling 114 Updated: Jun-24-15 12:23 pm
JEFFERSON HILLS, Pennsylvania - Guardian Industries is closing a Pittsburgh-area industrial glass plant that was targeted for pollution fines and laying off 114 workers.
- Layoffs begin in Baker school district Updated: Jun-24-15 12:17 pm
BAKER, Louisiana - Superintendent Herman Brister says some teachers and staff have already been laid off as part of a plan to save the Baker School District $1.2 million.
- Caterpillar to lay off 50 more workers at East Peoria plant Updated: Jun-23-15 1:16 pm
PEORIA, Illinois - Caterpillar Inc. says it will lay off 50 more workers at its East Peoria plant in addition to the 120 layoffs announced last week.
- Hershey to cut about 300 jobs, lowers 2015 revenue outlook Updated: Jun-19-15 2:38 pm
HERSHEY, Pennsylvania - Hershey is expected to cut about 300 jobs by the end of the year as it looks to simplify its operations. The candy maker also cut its revenue outlook for the year.
- Mercy Health plans to lay off 300 to 350 workers Updated: Jun-18-15 7:28 am
CHESTERFIELD, Missouri - Mercy Health officials say the company will lay off 300 to 350 employees in four states next week.
- FairPoint workers to picket against planned layoffs Updated: Jun-18-15 5:59 am
PORTLAND, Maine - FairPoint Communications workers unhappy with planned layoffs at the telecommunications company are planning to picket in Portland.
- Hartford HealthCare to cut 335 jobs affecting 418 workers Updated: Jun-17-15 7:11 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Cuts in Medicaid spending are forcing Hartford HealthCare to eliminate 335 positions affecting 418 employees, the company told staff members Wednesday.
- Intel layoffs to affect no more than a few hundred per site Updated: Jun-17-15 4:56 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - The chief executive of Intel has confirmed that the company has an upcoming round of layoffs, although he did not say exactly how many people will lose their jobs.
- Target says it will eliminate another 190 jobs Updated: Jun-17-15 2:40 pm
NEW YORK - The retailer Target is cutting another 140 jobs at its headquarters and eliminating 50 other unfilled jobs.
- Discover says it will close mortgage unit, cutting 460 jobs Updated: Jun-16-15 5:36 pm
NEW YORK - Discover Financial Services says it will close its home lending business and will eliminate 460 jobs, or about 3 percent of its workforce.
- Minnesota agency employees warned of layoffs get new notice Updated: Jun-16-15 10:50 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota state government employees warned this month of potential layoffs have gotten new notices canceling the threat.
- Statoil to cut up to 2,000 staff, consultants Updated: Jun-16-15 8:42 am
STOCKHOLM - Norwegian oil and gas company Statoil says it will lay off up to 1,500 staff and 500 consultants by the end of 2016 to slash costs.
- Gap closing 175 namesake stores to boost brand Updated: Jun-15-15 4:38 pm
NEW YORK - Gap plans to close 175 of its namesake stores and 250 jobs at its headquarters as the company tries to strengthen the struggling brand.
- State retirement signups short of goal as deadline nears Updated: Jun-12-15 8:11 pm
BOSTON - The number of Massachusetts state employees who applied for an early retirement program apparently will fall short of original projections by Gov. Charlie Baker, who is hoping early retirements will help close the state's projected budget shortfall.
- Alaska lawmakers OK $5 billion budget in 2nd special session Updated: Jun-11-15 10:22 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - After months of negotiations, the Alaska Legislature on Thursday approved a $5 billion budget that reduces spending while tapping the state's reserves to help with multibillion-dollar deficits brought on by low oil prices.
- Haslam says no set goal for how many buyouts needed in Tenn. Updated: Jun-10-15 8:17 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam's administration has offered more than 2,000 state workers the chance for buyouts but has no set goal for how many employees must agree to leave their jobs before involuntary layoffs are ordered.
- HSBC slashes jobs as it shifts focus further to Asian roots Updated: Jun-09-15 12:58 pm
LONDON - HSBC Holdings, Europe's largest bank by market value, will cut up to 25,000 jobs globally to reduce costs and shift its center of gravity further toward the fast-growing Asian economies where it started out 150 years ago.