- Applications for US unemployment benefits fell last week Updated: May-26-16 8:39 am
WASHINGTON - Fewer people sought unemployment aid last week for the second week in a row, the latest evidence that hiring is likely solid.
- Federal judge rejects Wyoming air ambulance regulation Updated: May-25-16 6:05 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A federal judge has rejected a Wyoming law that sought to limit how much air ambulance companies can charge the state for transporting workers injured on the job - the second such ruling in recent months.
- Union workers at Detroit Diesel ratify 5-year contract Updated: May-25-16 11:57 am
DETROIT - Union workers at Detroit Diesel have ratified a 5-year contract that raises compensation and commits the Daimler Trucks North America subsidiary to future work.
- New owner wants to make Trump's Taj Mahal casino great again Updated: May-20-16 1:39 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - The name on the front still reads "Trump," but a different flamboyant billionaire now wants to make the Taj Mahal casino great again.
- North Carolina Treasurer Janet Cowell: Not looking for work Updated: May-20-16 12:55 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Treasurer Janet Cowell says she's doing nothing wrong by joining two corporate boards.
- NY audit faults $2.45M in workers' compensation claims Updated: May-19-16 12:05 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York auditors report preventing 206 incorrect claims for $1.85 million in workers' compensation and medical benefits last year while identifying 417 duplicate claims for $1.6 million paid over the past two years.
- Kasich appoints top lawyer to head Ohio's workers comp fund Updated: May-18-16 12:22 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) has appointed the chief legal officer to Ohio's insurance fund for injured workers as the agency's new leader.
- New health center opens for state employees in Virginia Updated: May-17-16 12:58 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - State employees in Virginia are getting access to new health services in Richmond.
- Rauner running out of time to get budget reforms he wants Updated: May-15-16 3:45 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner's vision of a grand two-year budget compromise with Illinois lawmakers is diminishing as the clock ticks down on this year's legislative session.
- SC man accused of stealing $131,000 in NY pension checks Updated: May-13-16 4:55 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Camden resident is accused of stealing $131,000 in New York retirement benefits paid to a woman who died in 2010.
- Texas attorney general seeks to exempt communications Updated: May-12-16 2:56 pm
EL PASO, Texas - Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton doesn't want to release his office's communications with lawyers for an El Paso preacher who tried to stop health benefits for gay partners of city employees.
- Voters asked to sign off on lower police pension raises Updated: May-11-16 8:57 pm
PHOENIX - Voters are being asked to sign off on a major part of a police and firefighter pension system overhaul in next week's special election that was enacted by the Arizona Legislature earlier this year.
- Sioux Falls restaurants struggling to find enough workers Updated: May-10-16 3:12 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The growing appetite for new restaurants in Sioux Falls has left some food service managers starving for workers to fill vacant positions.
- More Wyoming residents seek unemployment aid Updated: May-10-16 12:19 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - The number of people applying for unemployment benefits in Wyoming grew by almost 40 percent in the past year, according to the state Department of Workforce Services.
- Lawyers say 1000s mistakenly charged with fraud Updated: May-08-16 4:19 am
LANSING, Michigan - A $47 million computer system that came online after the state's unemployment insurance agency laid off about 400 people in 2012 to cut costs has been mistakenly charging thousands of people with fraud, some lawyers say.
- The Latest: Union workers protest outside Tropicana casino Updated: May-06-16 7:37 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - The Latest on a protest by casino workers at the Tropicana (all times local):
- Workers are losing ground as Atlantic City casinos struggle Updated: May-06-16 6:48 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Atlantic City's casino workers are making only 80 cents an hour more now than they did 12 years ago, having opted instead to secure benefits like health insurance and retirement plans as the casino industry shrunk and four properties went out of business.
- Former Plum Creek worker sentenced for unemployment fraud Updated: May-03-16 10:16 am
KALISPELL, Montana - A man who worked for Plum Creek Timber while also receiving unemployment benefits has been given a six-year deferred sentence and was ordered to pay more than $38,000 in restitution.
- Study finds Wyoming workers save more for retirement Updated: May-02-16 1:02 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - A recent study has found that Wyoming workers are more likely to take advantage of retirement savings plans offered through their jobs than workers in other states.
- Court: OK to deny benefits to worker who objected to vaccine Updated: May-01-16 12:25 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A hospital can deny unemployment benefits to a former employee who objected to receiving a flu vaccine, according to a recent ruling from the Kansas Court of Appeals.
- $1.53 an hour for lawyer fees? Not in Florida, court says Updated: Apr-28-16 4:10 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The Florida Supreme Court struck down a law limiting lawyer fees in workers' compensation cases on Thursday, saying the $1.53 hourly rate a lawyer was paid to help an injured worker was "absurdly low."
- Flying autopilot with target-date funds: Points to consider Updated: Apr-28-16 11:43 am
NEW YORK - What's in your 401(k)? For more of us, the answer is just a single fund.
- NY inspector general accuses prison guard of benefits fraud Updated: Apr-28-16 5:47 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's inspector general says a state prison guard has been charged with fraud and grand larceny, accused of stealing more than $38,000 in sick leave and workers' compensation benefits by falsifying medical records.