- Capitol Hill Buzz: Democrats aim at Trump's tax returns Updated: May-25-16 11:16 am
WASHINGTON - Hmmm, wonder who he has in mind?
- Illinois Supreme Court to review hospital taxation issue Updated: May-25-16 10:49 am
CHICAGO - The Illinois Supreme Court has agreed to review a case regarding the constitutionality of hospital tax exemptions.
- State Senate wants quick standard deduction increase Updated: May-24-16 2:43 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The state Senate has agreed to increase the amount of individual income not subject to North Carolina taxes even more.
- Taxpayer assistance approved for proposed Providence hotel Updated: May-24-16 3:35 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Construction on an extended-stay hotel in Providence is set to move forward after the Rhode Island Commerce Corporation voted to give the developer up to $4.8 million in taxpayer assistance over 20 years.
- The Latest: Gov: 'Modest' tax measures would have big impact Updated: May-23-16 9:32 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Latest on the Alaska Legislature's special session (all times local):
- Dayton unsure whether he'll declare special session Updated: May-23-16 5:27 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton said he hasn't decided whether he's going to give state lawmakers a second chance to finish their work and fund both public works projects and road and bridge repairs that were left undone after the Legislature devolved into chaos in the final minutes of the session early Monday morning.
- A roundup of recent Michigan newspaper editorials Updated: May-23-16 10:01 am
The Detroit News. May 17, 2016
- The Latest: Legislature's mad dash toward deadline is on Updated: May-22-16 10:13 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Latest on the last work day for the Minnesota Legislature (all times local):
- Proposed tax bill cuts costs on suites, not standard seats Updated: May-21-16 10:17 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota sports fans who watch games from the best seats in the house could get a cushy deal from the Legislature.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: May-21-16 11:54 am
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- Branstad's tax returns show 2015 income of $185,249 Updated: May-20-16 3:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Tax returns for Gov. Terry Branstad and his wife show they earned $185,249 in 2015 and made sizable charity donations.
- Oklahoma House passes revenue measures in late-night session Updated: May-20-16 2:34 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma House worked into the early morning hours Friday as it struggled to pass bills that legislative leaders say are needed to help fill a projected $1.3 billion hole in next year's state budget.
- Tax preparer pleads guilty in federal tax case Updated: May-20-16 12:45 am
NEW ORLEANS - A tax preparer faces federal prison time after she admitted leaving out $315,004 worth of income on her tax returns.
- Oklahoma House passes bill to eliminate double tax deduction Updated: May-19-16 11:51 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma House has reversed itself and passed legislation to eliminate what's considered a double deduction for state income taxpayers.
- North Dakota housing fund threatened with drilling downturn Updated: May-19-16 4:04 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A state income tax credit that helped subsidize construction of thousands of living spaces largely in western North Dakota's oil patch has outlived its usefulness with the downturn in drilling and a prolonged slump in crude prices, the chairmen of the Senate and House taxation committees say.
- Jonesboro panel delays incentive vote for new hotel Updated: May-19-16 9:16 am
JONESBORO, Arkansas - The Jonesboro Advertising and Promotion Commission has tabled a request for a tax rebate for a planned convention center and hotel at Arkansas State University.
- Georgia editorial roundup Updated: May-18-16 5:19 pm
Recent editorials from Georgia newspapers:
- Editorials from around New York Updated: May-18-16 12:28 pm
Recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New York's newspapers:
- Former western NY man sentenced for bilking IRS out of $2.3M Updated: May-18-16 12:10 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Federal prosecutors say a former western New York tax return preparer has been sentenced to two years in prison for filing more than 1,000 false returns that bilked the IRS out of $2.3 million.
- House Republicans eye half of budget surplus for tax cuts Updated: May-17-16 5:35 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - House Republicans say they're still pushing to return much of Minnesota's $900 million budget surplus to taxpayers.
- Oklahoma lawmakers to consider $141 million in new revenue Updated: May-12-16 8:10 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Leaders in the Oklahoma Legislature are moving quickly now to pass revenue increases before unveiling a formal budget plan that would close an estimated $1.3 billion shortfall.
- New Jersey town closes police department Updated: May-12-16 7:00 am
LAKE COMO, New Jersey - A small New Jersey police force has disbanded, the victim of taxpayers who didn't want to pay more to keep it.
- State income tax deadline set for May 16 Updated: May-12-16 12:54 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The deadline for filing state income tax returns is drawing near.
- Clergy urge Oklahoma lawmakers to keep tax credits for poor Updated: May-11-16 4:39 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Religious leaders from across Oklahoma are urging lawmakers not to get rid of tax credits that support hundreds of thousands of middle- and low-income residents.
- Feds: Franklin man didn't pay taxes on misappropriated money Updated: May-11-16 11:40 am
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - A Franklin dentist prosecutors say took nearly $250,000 from his uncle's estate without authorization and then failed to pay taxes on the money has pleaded guilty.