- Kansas governor signs new limits on welfare payments Updated: May-16-16 7:40 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback touted the welfare limits he signed into law Monday as a way to free recipients from the grip of poverty, but critics argued some families could be left without a safety net during financial difficulties.
- Missouri lawmakers approve bill to verify welfare rolls Updated: May-13-16 12:40 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A private company would review the state's welfare rolls for fraud and waste under legislation passed by Missouri lawmakers.
- Indiana seeks new judge after no damages awarded in IBM case Updated: May-10-16 5:47 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Attorneys for the state are challenging a judge's decision not to award Indiana damages in its long-running fight with IBM Corp. over the company's failed effort to privatize state welfare services, saying a new judge should be appointed to handle the case.
- Investigation faults NYC child welfare agency in 2 deaths Updated: May-03-16 4:28 pm
NEW YORK - New York City's child welfare agency failed to protect two children who died and a third who was starved by his parents and nearly died in 2014, a report released Tuesday says.
- Lawmakers approve 'step therapy' and welfare reform bill Updated: May-02-16 12:17 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators approved a health and public welfare bill Monday that would reduce prescription drug costs within the state's Medicaid program and make changes to eligibility for public assistance.
- Attempt to restrict use of welfare benefits stalls Updated: Apr-28-16 5:37 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - An attempt in Arkansas to limit how welfare recipients can spend their benefits has stalled before a legislative panel.