- Governor's budget proposes privatizing mental health funding Updated: Feb-12-16 4:11 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has proposed privatizing the public mental health system by moving state funds to Medicaid HMOs.
- Hospital where woman in custody died cited for deficiencies Updated: Feb-12-16 3:46 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The hospital where a black woman died after she was forcibly removed from the emergency room by a white police officer was cited for 10 "deficiencies," including failing to properly examine the woman when she complained of difficulty breathing, state health officials said.
- Debate Takeaways: Clinton, Sanders appeal to SC, Nevada Updated: Feb-12-16 7:30 am
MILWAUKEE - In the first Democratic presidential debate since Bernie Sanders' sweeping victory in New Hampshire's primary, the Vermont senator sought to build upon success and introduce himself to voters who may be open to an alternative to Iowa winner Hillary Clinton.
- Kasich works to assure South Carolina of conservative record Updated: Feb-12-16 4:12 am
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - An energized John Kasich heads into South Carolina's Republican presidential primary hoping to build on a strong showing in New Hampshire, but he's refusing to tailor or shift his message to fit the state's more conservative electorate.
- Assembly OKs bill cutting Planned Parenthood reimbursement Updated: Feb-11-16 11:14 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republicans moved within a step Thursday of cutting millions of dollars from Planned Parenthood, pushing a bill that would limit Medicaid reimbursements for certain family planning clinics through the state Assembly and on to Gov. Scott Walker.
- Opponents urge lawmakers to snuff out tobacco tax increase Updated: Feb-11-16 8:39 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska's tobacco tax could more than double under a bill that is drawing praise from health officials but strong criticism from retailers, grocers and smokers.
- Idaho panel backs Medicaid expansion alternative Updated: Feb-11-16 5:46 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter's proposed alternative to Medicaid expansion passed its first hurdle in the Idaho Legislature Thursday.
- Health care battle brewing between governors in Kentucky Updated: Feb-11-16 4:22 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky's two most recent governors went to war over the state's health care system Thursday, raising the stakes in a battle that could tarnish the legacy of the Obama administration's health care law.
- Insurer Centene ends search for missing hard drives Updated: Feb-11-16 3:01 pm
Medicaid coverage provider Centene has ended a search for six hard drives that contained the personal information of roughly 950,000 customers more than a month after the equipment turned up missing.
- The Latest: Bevin says his focus is fixing 'fiscal crisis' Updated: Feb-11-16 1:03 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Latest on former Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear's effort to oppose Republican Gov. Matt Bevin's effort to dismantle the state's health care program known as kynect (all times local):
- New Nebraska Medicaid bill reopens old divide in hearing Updated: Feb-10-16 8:58 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The newest attempt to expand health care coverage with Medicaid dollars reopened an old divide Wednesday before a Nebraska legislative committee.
- Plan to reauthorize Medicaid expansion clears first hurdle Updated: Feb-10-16 6:09 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A plan for reauthorizing Medicaid expansion its first hurdle in the New Hampshire House.
- Missouri Senate backs fees for missed Medicaid appointment Updated: Feb-10-16 4:17 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Doctors could charge Medicaid patients a fee for missing appointments under a bill that has won initial approval in the Missouri Senate.
- Data: Preventable ER visits cost about $90 million a year Updated: Feb-10-16 12:57 pm
CRANSTON, Rhode Island - A state agency says a new report shows potentially preventable emergency room visits cost Rhode Islanders about $90 million a year.
- Paramedic arrested for sexual battery of a vulnerable person Updated: Feb-10-16 12:02 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood says a Lafayette County Hospital paramedic has been arrested for sexual battery of a vulnerable person
- Hospital industry official hired as Medicaid commissioner Updated: Feb-10-16 4:05 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Gov. Matt Bevin has selected hospital industry executive Stephen Miller to serve as the state's Medicaid commissioner.
- House panel OKs bill restoring children's health insurance Updated: Feb-09-16 7:50 pm
PHOENIX - A bill to provide health insurance for thousands of Arizona children cleared a hurdle Tuesday as lawmakers unanimously passed a measure to lift the temporary freeze on a program restoring coverage to low-income kids.
- Kansas Senate advances bill to decrease Medicaid drug costs Updated: Feb-09-16 6:36 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A bill designed to cut Kansas' costs in providing prescription drugs for poor and disabled residents has received first-round approval in the state Senate.
- Data breach affects 91,000 Washington Medicaid clients Updated: Feb-09-16 5:19 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - State officials say a data breach has affected 91,000 Washington Medicaid clients.
- Obama unveils record $4.1 trillion election-year budget Updated: Feb-09-16 4:35 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Tuesday unveiled a record $4.1 trillion, election-year budget that finances Democratic priorities like education, health care and climate change with new taxes on crude oil, the wealthy and big banks.
- North Carolina Medicaid $181M under budget at year midpoint Updated: Feb-09-16 2:04 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's Medicaid finances are continuing to run under budget thanks to essentially flat enrollment growth and less-than-anticipated medical expenses and use of services.
- VA hospitals compare favorably on deaths, readmission rates Updated: Feb-09-16 1:37 pm
CHICAGO - Veterans' hospitals compare pretty favorably with others when it comes to treating older men with three common conditions - heart attacks, heart failure and pneumonia, according to a study on death rates and readmissions.
- State wants to appeal expansion of Planned parenthood case Updated: Feb-09-16 1:24 pm
- Federal officials OK change to Alabama Medicaid program Updated: Feb-09-16 12:42 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Federal officials have approved Alabama's plan to switch its Medicaid program to managed care.
- Bill would give unused medication donations to those in need Updated: Feb-09-16 11:51 am
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah lawmaker is sponsoring a bill that would donate unused prescription drugs to people in need.