- Gov. Jay Inslee signs new two-year state budget Updated: Jul-01-15 2:43 am
OLYMPIA, Washington - Gov. Jay Inslee has signed into law a new two-year budget, averting a government shutdown that state officials had prepared for in case the new spending plan wasn't in place by the end of the day.
- World Bank urges China to embrace basic financial reforms Updated: Jul-01-15 12:25 am
BEIJING - The World Bank has urged China to carry out fundamental reform of its state-dominated financial system to keep economic growth on track.
- New York proposal would limit for-hire vehicles during study Updated: Jun-30-15 11:25 pm
NEW YORK - Staff and drivers for ride-hailing company Uber gathered outside City Hall on Tuesday to protest legislation that would put limits on for-hire vehicles while the city conducts a study on whether the sharp growth of the industry has an impact on traffic congestion.
- New Delaware law allows immigrant driving cards Updated: Jun-30-15 11:19 pm
DOVER, Delaware - Gov. Jack Markell has signed legislation allowing certain people living in the U.S. illegally to gain driving privileges in Delaware.
- Pennsylvania governor vetoes entire Republican budget bill Updated: Jun-30-15 11:05 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf made good on his threat and swiftly vetoed the Republican-crafted spending plan Tuesday night just hours after the GOP's huge majorities in the Legislature sent it to him on the last day of the state government's fiscal year.
- The Latest: Maine Legislature OKs $100M in bond proposals Updated: Jun-30-15 10:55 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The latest on the Maine Legislature's rush to finish its work for the session (all times local):
- Kasich signs $71B, 2-year budget after vetoing 44 items Updated: Jun-30-15 10:44 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich on Tuesday signed a $71.2 billion, two-year state budget that continues his expansion of the Medicaid health program and provides an income-tax cut.
- Ohio lawmakers send anti-monopoly measure to fall ballot Updated: Jun-30-15 10:41 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - State lawmakers in Ohio sent a proposal to the fall ballot on Tuesday that would ban constitutional monopolies, an effort with the potential to scuttle marijuana legalization in the state.
- The Latest: Pennsylvania governor vetoes GOP's budget bill Updated: Jun-30-15 10:34 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The latest news from efforts by Pennsylvania Republican lawmakers to send various pieces of major legislation to Gov. Tom Wolf's desk (all times local):
- Federal judge rules Maui County ban on GMO crops invalid Updated: Jun-30-15 9:25 pm
HONOLULU - A federal judge ruled Tuesday that a Maui County ban on the cultivation of genetically engineered crops is pre-empted by federal and state law and invalid.
- Gov. Inslee signs recreational marijuana reform bill Updated: Jun-30-15 9:11 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Washington state's recreational marijuana law has a new tax structure under a measure signed into law Tuesday by Gov. Jay Inslee.
- Smoking ban seems cause of 15-hour Australian prison riot Updated: Jun-30-15 8:56 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Australian authorities on Wednesday ended a 15-hour prison riot involving up to 300 inmates in Melbourne suspected to have been triggered by a ban on smoking.
- Prevailing wage, Bucks arena won't be in budget Updated: Jun-30-15 8:42 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Details of an agreement on major budget issues reached by Republicans on Tuesday:
- Republicans reach deal to end Wisconsin budget impasse Updated: Jun-30-15 8:34 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican legislative leaders have reached a deal on a new state budget that drops a financing plan for a new Milwaukee Bucks stadium and changes to the prevailing wage law, co-chairs of the Legislature's budget committee said Tuesday.
- Gov. Matt Mead creates panel to assess marijuana in Wyoming Updated: Jun-30-15 8:31 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Wyoming Gov. Matt Mead is creating a council to gauge the effects of marijuana usage in the state ahead of a push for a legalization initiative that could put the issue before voters next year.
- Bill paring NC regulations clearing another Senate panel Updated: Jun-30-15 8:08 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina Senate is pressing on with a broad bill paring state regulations although Gov. Pat McCrory's environmental agency says it can't support the legislation now.
- New Colorado laws address homemade hash oil, cyberbullying Updated: Jun-30-15 7:58 pm
DENVER - People who make marijuana hash oil with hazardous materials at home will face felony charges in Colorado, and online bullies will be subject to penalties for harassment under new state laws taking effect Wednesday.
- Marijuana bills advance in Oregon Senate Updated: Jun-30-15 7:53 pm
SALEM, Oregon - The Oregon Senate has signed off on three bills setting up Oregon's legal marijuana system.
- Michigan Senate panel OKs 15-cent gas tax hike for roads Updated: Jun-30-15 7:38 pm
LANSING, Michigan - A Republican-led Senate committee approved a $1.4 billion-plus road-funding plan Tuesday that would raise the state gasoline tax by 15 cents a gallon and trim the income tax if Michigan's general revenues rise above inflation in any given year.
- New Mexico restaurant owners sentenced for wage violations Updated: Jun-30-15 7:23 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Two brothers who own Chinese restaurants in New Mexico have been sentenced to two years' probation for violating the federal minimum and overtime wage laws.
- Federal Export-Import Bank set for midnight expiration Updated: Jun-30-15 7:19 pm
WASHINGTON - Conservatives cheered the demise of the federal Export-Import Bank Tuesday and vowed to beat back efforts to revive it, even as business leaders and the White House issued dire warnings that letting the agency expire at midnight would hurt U.S. competitiveness globally.
- Oil company gets temporary relief from gas flaring rules Updated: Jun-30-15 6:59 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - State regulators are giving another oil company some temporary relief from North Dakota's gas flaring rate requirements.
- Gov. Haley vetoes 87 SC budget items tallying $30 million Updated: Jun-30-15 6:59 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley thanked legislators Tuesday after issuing 87 budget vetoes that strike $30 million from the Legislature's budget package.
- Paid sick leave, lead ammo, smartphones affected by new laws Updated: Jun-30-15 6:18 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - More than 6 million workers are expected to benefit from a new law taking effect Wednesday that requires California employers to provide them at least three paid sick days a year.
- New laws taking effect Wednesday impact drivers, smokers Updated: Jun-30-15 5:59 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana drivers only have to renew their licenses every six years beginning Wednesday, but they'll have to pay more when they buy a car or seek a copy of their driving record.