- Kansas lawmakers' budget fix: Let Brownback do the work Updated: Apr-30-16 7:04 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators fashioned a plan Saturday for balancing the state budget that would require Republican Gov. Sam Brownback to do most of the work.
- Time running out on Connecticut legislative session Updated: Apr-30-16 5:46 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Time is quickly running out for Connecticut lawmakers to finish their work this legislative session, including a revised budget for the new fiscal year that's projected to be $960 million in deficit.
- The Latest: Kansas budget plan protects public schools' aid Updated: Apr-30-16 5:41 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on the Kansas Legislature (all times local):
- Kauai County considers plan to reduce island's carbon output Updated: Apr-30-16 3:41 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - Kauai officials are looking to decrease the island's effect on the environment by limiting carbon output.
- Mallott calls new take on timber industry, environmentalism Updated: Apr-30-16 2:49 pm
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott is calling for less confrontation between environmentalists and Alaska's timber industry.
- Tobacco tax for Medicaid plan faces challenge in Oklahoma Updated: Apr-30-16 2:12 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A plan to shift coverage for some of Oklahoma's Medicaid recipients in order to trigger an infusion of federal funding appears to be gaining support among Republican lawmakers, but the idea of funding it with a tobacco tax is facing uphill sledding in the GOP-controlled Legislature.
- Analysis: Amendments expand Arkansas session beyond budget Updated: Apr-30-16 2:01 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - When Arkansas voters eight years ago mandated the Legislature meet annually, the plan was for lawmakers to take up a wide range of issues one year and focus primarily on the budget the next. The same voters can be forgiven if they see little daylight between the two types of sessions nowadays.
- State Rainy Day Fund to restore library, senior center cuts Updated: Apr-30-16 12:34 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Budget cuts of about $1 million each to Arkansas libraries and for senior citizen centers will be restored with money from the state's Rainy Day Fund, according to legislative leaders.
- Illinois budget standoff forces 300 layoffs at Chicago State Updated: Apr-30-16 11:44 am
CHICAGO - Chicago State University laid off more than 300 employees, about a third of its workforce, after emergency state funding recently approved amid Illinois' ongoing budget stalemate proved too little to prevent the cuts.
- Deal considers measures as deadline looms Updated: Apr-30-16 11:41 am
ATLANTA - Several pieces of legislation continue to wait on the desk of Gov. Nathan Deal, as the May 3 deadline looms for Deal to sign, veto or opt to not take action on the measures.
- Gas tax, lottery bills dead as legislature nears end Updated: Apr-30-16 11:39 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Lawmakers return to Montgomery on Tuesday for the two days of the 2016 legislative session.
- House, Senate adjourn without reaching budget deal Updated: Apr-30-16 1:53 am
PHOENIX - The Legislature adjourned for the weekend as negotiations over the state's $9.58 billion budget package fell apart in the House late Friday night before a deal could be reached.
- The Latest: Legislature done for weekend amid budget chaos Updated: Apr-30-16 12:48 am
PHOENIX - The Latest on legislative action an Arizona budget proposal (all times local):
- Malloy says budget deal unlikely; Democrats disagree Updated: Apr-30-16 12:24 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut's state budget deficit problems got a little worse on Friday night and it appeared questionable whether a budget deal can be reached before the General Assembly adjourns.
- The Latest: Malloy says budget deal unlike by adjournment Updated: Apr-29-16 11:47 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on budget deliberations between Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and legislative Democrats, who are trying to reach an agreement on how to cover a projected $960 million deficit in next fiscal year's deficit before the General Assembly adjourns Wednesday at midnight. (all times local)
- Illegal camping out of bill allowing Airbnb to collect taxes Updated: Apr-29-16 9:27 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers have advanced a bill that would allow online brokers such as Airbnb to collect taxes on behalf of people advertising private rentals on the websites, but they removed part of the proposal that would have targeted illegal camping ads by requiring online brokers to verify the legality of their listings.
- Raiders in Las Vegas? It's still several hurdles away Updated: Apr-29-16 8:47 pm
LAS VEGAS - Raiders owner Mark Davis pledged this week to relocate his NFL team from Oakland to Las Vegas if a proposed $1.4 billion, 65,000-seat domed stadium is built. Here are some hurdles the proposal would have to clear before becoming reality.
- Lawmakers agree budget; Planned Parenthood funding survives Updated: Apr-29-16 8:25 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Legislature on Friday adjourned its 2016 session with agreement over a roughly $7.35 billion budget, following days of private meetings that ultimately stopped an attempt by GOP lawmakers to remove state funding for Planned Parenthood.
- Legislators transitioning from Capitol to temporary digs Updated: Apr-29-16 7:37 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Alaska legislators being forced from the state Capitol due to renovation work are setting up shop in a no-frills, nearby former university building, where old classrooms or conference areas will serve as committee rooms and legislators in some cases will share close-quarters office space.
- Governor sets May 15 target for tax study recommendations Updated: Apr-29-16 7:04 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. John Bel Edwards urged a study group looking at state budget and tax policy to give him preliminary recommendations by May 15 for ways to raise money to fill financial gaps, according to a letter released Friday.
- Gov: Puerto Rico braces for lawsuits as major default looms Updated: Apr-29-16 7:00 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's governor said Friday that the U.S. territory is bracing for multiple lawsuits as a major default looms over a $470 million bond payment.
- Can South Dakota tax online sales? State presses to find out Updated: Apr-29-16 6:30 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota wants to collect state sales tax on purchases from Overstock.com and other Internet retailers. The state is pressing for the revenues with a lawsuit against several remote retailers that ultimately seeks to overturn a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
- Boeing publicly discloses 2015 savings from state tax breaks Updated: Apr-29-16 5:39 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Boeing announced Friday that it saved $305 million through state tax breaks last year, marking the first time the company has been required by law to publicly disclose such information.
- Postman steals $443,000 in tax refund checks along his route Updated: Apr-29-16 5:25 pm
CAMDEN, New Jersey - A former postal worker has pleaded guilty to stealing income tax refund checks worth more than $400,000 from people along his New Jersey mail route.
- The Latest: Chenault: Panel plans to hear tax credit bill Updated: Apr-29-16 5:09 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Latest on legislative happenings as Alaska lawmakers continue to meet in extended session (all times local):