- Menendez appealing judge's rulings in corruption case Updated: Oct-09-15 4:55 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Attorneys for U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey filed notice Friday that they will appeal a judge's rulings rejecting their arguments to dismiss his corruption indictment.
- Poll: Guinta's support eroding amid financing scandal Updated: Oct-09-15 12:53 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A new poll shows that 50 percent of New Hampshire residents surveyed think U.S. Rep. Frank Guinta should resign amid his campaign finance troubles and 4 percent said they would back his re-election bid next year.
- Analysts: Court ruling fuels bid to impeach Brazil president Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
SAO PAULO - President Dilma Rousseff's ability to govern Brazil has been dealt a serious blow by a federal audit court ruling that her government violated accounting practices and financial laws last year, a decision that could fuel efforts to impeach her, analysts said Thursday.
- South Carolina editorial roundup Updated: Sep-30-15 4:43 pm
Recent editorials from South Carolina newspapers:
- Dewhurst, Houston oilman settle lawsuit over funds Updated: Sep-30-15 2:11 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Former Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst has settled a lawsuit he filed against a Houston oilman over disputed funds linked to an imprisoned ex-political adviser.
- Attorney general files campaign complaint against union Updated: Sep-25-15 12:22 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - The Washington attorney general has filed a campaign finance complaint against Service Employees International Healthcare Union No. 775.
- Tim Eyman investigation in hands of state attorney general Updated: Sep-24-15 7:29 pm
TACOMA, Washington - The Washington Public Disclosure Commission on Thursday sent its campaign finance investigation of anti-tax initiative promoter Tim Eyman to the attorney general's office.
- Jesse Jackson Jr. completes prison term; wife to prison next Updated: Sep-18-15 6:14 pm
CHICAGO - Former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. officially completed his prison sentence Friday, nearly three years after pleading guilty to illegally spending $750,000 in campaign money on everything from fur capes and vacations to Hollywood memorabilia and a gold-plated watch.
- Brazil's top court bans corporate political financing Updated: Sep-17-15 8:39 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's Supreme Court on Thursday banned corporate contributions to political campaigns and parties, a hot issue as investigators in the nation's biggest corruption scandal say such financing was used by businesses to win lucrative contracts with state-run oil company Petrobras.
- Campaign finance reports to be reviewed in wake of scandal Updated: Sep-16-15 6:56 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The spending of political contributions by elected officials in New Mexico came under greater scrutiny Wednesday as more allegations of possible violations of the state's campaign finance reporting laws surfaced in the wake of a scandal that has cast a shadow over the secretary of state's office.
- Ethics board refuses to dismiss Lt. Gov. McMaster's case Updated: Sep-16-15 5:59 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The State Ethics Commission refused Wednesday to dismiss a complaint against Republican Lt. Gov. Henry McMaster that accuses him of taking about $72,000 in illegal campaign donations after his loss in the 2010 governor's race.
- Vet group hosting Trump lost nonprofit status Updated: Sep-16-15 5:32 pm
WASHINGTON - The Internal Revenue Service revoked the nonprofit status of the veterans benefit organization that hosted and sold tickets to a foreign policy speech by Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump aboard a retired U.S. battleship, The Associated Press has learned. The group's endorsement of Trump at the event also could raise legal problems under campaign finance laws.
- New Mexico lawmakers OK funds for impeachment investigation Updated: Sep-15-15 5:52 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - One of New Mexico's highest-ranking officials pleaded not guilty to dozens of charges during a brief court appearance Tuesday as lawmakers cleared the way for an impeachment investigation into allegations that she embezzled money from campaign contributions.
- The Latest: Embattled NM secretary of state visits offie Updated: Sep-15-15 4:18 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The latest on fraud charges against New Mexico's secretary of state (all times local):
- Lawmaker to file initiative related to Supreme Court ruling Updated: Sep-14-15 8:26 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - A Republican lawmaker said Monday he'll file an initiative to the Legislature this week that would require state Supreme Court justices to recuse themselves if they've received large campaign contributions from those involved in cases before the court.
- State lawmaker says he didn't report $11,000 in donations Updated: Sep-11-15 3:00 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - State Representative Antonio Maestas has opened up about his failure to report more than $11,000 in contributions to his re-election campaign last year.
- Developer pleads guilty to bribing Allentown official Updated: Sep-10-15 7:52 pm
ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - The mayor of Allentown never took a bribe or misused his office while running for U.S. Senate, his attorney said Thursday after a developer pleaded guilty to giving campaign contributions to the third-term Democrat in return for favorable treatment from the city.
- Ex-prosecutor indicted for trying to influence judge's race Updated: Sep-09-15 3:23 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - A former Davidson County prosecutor seeking a Superior Court judge's seat has been indicted after authorities say she offered a district judge $20,000 to persuade her husband to drop out of the race.
- Far-right French party charged in campaign finance probe Updated: Sep-09-15 2:27 pm
PARIS - France's far-right National Front party was handed preliminary charges Wednesday in an investigation into funding of the party's 2012 legislative campaign.