- Correction: Earns-Universal Corp story Updated: May-25-16 12:57 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - In a story May 24 about Universal Corp.'s earnings - generated by Automated Insights using data from Zacks Investment Research - The Associated Press reported erroneously that the company reported adjusted quarterly profit of 37 cents per share. The company did not post adjusted income for the most recent quarter.
- Sanofi wants to dump Medivation's board after rejected deal Updated: May-25-16 11:00 am
NEW YORK - French drug company Sanofi is trying to toss the entire board at Medivation after the U.S. drugmaker rejected its $9.3 billion takeover bid.
- Tribune rejects second Gannett bid; sets the stage for talks Updated: May-23-16 5:41 pm
NEW YORK - Tribune Publishing rejected a second takeover bid from USA Today owner Gannett, but did say Monday that it was open to further talks.
- How would Bayer-Monsanto affect workers, farmers, investors? Updated: May-23-16 5:31 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - Bayer wants to buy Monsanto for $62 billion, hooking up the German chemical and drug company with the St. Louis-based producer of seeds and weed-killers.
- Initial public offerings scheduled to debut next week Updated: May-20-16 3:11 pm
NEW YORK - The following is a list of initial public offerings planned for the coming week. Sources include IPO ETF manager Renaissance Capital, and SEC filings.
- Mickelson to lose $1M in SEC case involving Vegas gambler Updated: May-19-16 8:28 pm
NEW YORK - Phil Mickelson paid off a debt to a professional gambler with nearly $1 million that was unfairly reaped from an insider trading scheme, according to a federal investigation that led to two arrests but spared the golf great from criminal charges.
- Risky? Yes, but regular folks are putting cash into startups Updated: May-18-16 5:55 pm
NEW YORK - Last year, Randy Murphy went to DietBet.com and bet $25 that he could drop 4 percent of his weight in four weeks. After shedding about 20 pounds, he won back $50.
- Suzuki apologizes for improper road tests, denies cheating Updated: May-18-16 6:08 am
TOKYO - Japanese automaker Suzuki Motor Corp. apologized Wednesday for improper road tests, but denied reports that it illegally falsified mileage numbers.
- Justice investigation adds to LendingClub's woes Updated: May-17-16 4:42 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of LendingClub, which forced out its founder last week, slumped further Tuesday after the company disclosed the U.S. Department of Justice opened an investigation into its business.
- Again, Home Depot rises above the retail fray Updated: May-17-16 7:24 am
ATLANTA - Home Depot topped expectations for the first quarter thanks in part to mild weather and the company, riding a strong rebound in housing, lifted its outlook for the year.
- Pfizer buying skin drug maker Anacor for $5.2 billion Updated: May-16-16 2:54 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Pfizer is fortifying its key immunology and inflammation drug business, snapping up a small maker of skin disorder treatments for about $5.2 billion, weeks after the U.S. Treasury Department torpedoed Pfizer's planned $160 billion deal for Allergan PLC.
- Philips to raise up to 844 million euros in lighting IPO Updated: May-16-16 9:43 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Dutch electronics giant Royal Philips NV has set the price for the initial public offering of its lighting division, saying it will sell 25 percent of shares at a price between 18.50 and 22.50 euros ($20.96-25.50).
- Ghosn certain $2.2 billion deal for Mitsubishi is a bargain Updated: May-13-16 3:46 am
YOKOHAMA, Japan - Nissan Chief Executive Carlos Ghosn is confident a 237 billion yen ($2.2 billion) investment in a controlling stake in scandal-embroiled Mitsubishi Motors will prove a bargain when sheer size is critical in the auto industry.
- Denmark's Dong Energy planning IPO within months Updated: May-12-16 5:07 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Denmark's DONG Energy, which focuses on wind power generation, says it plans an initial public offering of at least 15 percent of its shares on the Nasdaq Copenhagen stock exchange this summer.
- Albemarle profit soars $228.2 million Updated: May-11-16 7:54 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Albemarle Corp., a Baton Rouge-based specialty chemicals company, reported its first-quarter profit soared to $228.2 million, or $2.02 per share, compared to $43.1 million, or 40 cents per share, a year ago.
- Staples, Office Depot scrap merger after judge blocks deal Updated: May-10-16 9:07 pm
WASHINGTON - Staples and Office Depot said Tuesday they are scrapping their planned $6.3 billion merger after a federal judge blocked the deal, saying the government had made the case that the combination would likely hurt competition in office supplies.
- Struggles for Lumber Liquidators continue into a new year Updated: May-10-16 8:22 pm
TOANO, Virginia - Losses worsened at Lumber Liquidators during the first three months of its fiscal year and sales declined for a fifth straight quarter as the flooring company spent heavily to put behind it damaging reports of potentially dangerous and illegal products from China.
- Disney shutting Infinity game unit, cutting 300 jobs Updated: May-10-16 7:41 pm
LOS ANGELES - Disney said Tuesday it is shutting down its Disney Infinity line of video games, saying the changing market is too risky.
- Fossil Group beats 1Q profit forecasts but trims outlook Updated: May-10-16 6:02 pm
RICHARDSON, Texas - Fossil Group Inc. shares plunged in extended trading Tuesday after the watch and accessories maker cut its full-year earnings guidance, despite beating profit expectations for the first quarter.
- Allergan plans to buy back $10B in shares, posts 1Q profit Updated: May-10-16 11:57 am
NEW YORK - Allergan will buy back up to $10 billion in stock following a swing to a first-quarter profit on a strong surge in sales of key drugs, including the wrinkle and muscle spasm treatment Botox.
- LendingClub CEO resigns after internal probe of loan sale Updated: May-09-16 5:03 pm
NEW YORK - The chairman and CEO of the online lending company LendingClub stepped down after an internal review determined that the company's business practices were violated with the sale of $22 million in loans to people with sketchy credit scores to a single investor.
- Valeant Pharma promises to do better with deadlines Updated: May-09-16 10:18 am
Shares of Valeant Pharmaceuticals are sharply higher after the embattled drug company promised to do better with financial filing deadlines.
- The Latest: Analyst: Mexico may fear jailbreak by 'El Chapo' Updated: May-07-16 3:13 pm
MEXICO CITY - The Latest on the sudden transfer of convicted drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman to a Mexican prison near the Texas border. (all times local):
- Endo reports 1st-quarter loss, trims full-year guidance Updated: May-05-16 6:54 pm
DUBLIN - Shares of Endo International PLC plunged in extended trading Thursday after the drugmaker slashed its full-year outlook because of increasing competition and regulatory delays.
- Exxon and FuelCell to study capturing carbon emissions Updated: May-05-16 2:47 pm
DALLAS - Exxon Mobil and FuelCell Energy say that they will jointly work on technology to reduce the cost of capturing carbon emissions from power plants.