- Blue Bell resumes selling ice cream after listeria recall Updated: Aug-31-15 9:49 am
BRENHAM, Texas - Blue Bell ice cream is back.
- Study: Tiny, wireless pacemaker could be surgery-free option Updated: Aug-30-15 7:47 am
LONDON - A tiny, wireless pacemaker could offer some heart patients a surgery-free alternative to the traditional devices, a new study says. Some doctors, however, say there are lingering safety questions and warned patients not to rush to get the new technology.
- AP National News Calendar Updated: Aug-28-15 4:47 pm
Eds: Major scheduled events for the week of August 30 - September 5. Note that many events are subject to change at the last minute.
- New Bedford firm recalls macadamias for possible Salmonella Updated: Aug-28-15 4:28 pm
NEW BEDFORD, Massachusetts - Sid Wainer and Son, a New Bedford produce and specialty foods company, is recalling macadamia nuts due to a potential Salmonella contamination.
- Ashley Madison CEO steps down in wake of hacking Updated: Aug-28-15 4:19 pm
NEW YORK - The CEO of the company that runs adultery website Ashley Madison is stepping down in the wake of the massive breach of the company's computer systems and outing of millions of its members.
- Apple's music service losing key player as exec resigns Updated: Aug-28-15 2:48 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple's online music subscription service is losing a key player as millions of listeners near the end of a free three-month trial period that has drawn mixed reviews.
- Recalls this week: Rotary tools, mowers, bicycles Updated: Aug-28-15 2:07 pm
A line of rotary tools that can overheat and melt are among this week's recalled consumer products. Other products being recalled include mowers with leaky gas tanks and defective bicycles.
- Kapowsin Meats recalls pork from Washington, Oregon, Alaska Updated: Aug-28-15 5:16 am
VANCOUVER, Washington - Graham-based Kapowsin Meats is recalling more than 520,000 pounds of pork shipped to Washington, Oregon and Alaska after food inspectors found that it may be contaminated with salmonella.
- Amgen wins approval for second biotech cholesterol drug Updated: Aug-27-15 9:12 pm
WASHINGTON - Amgen Inc. has won federal approval for the second medicine in a new class of pricey biotech drugs that reduce artery-clogging cholesterol more than older statin drugs that have been used for decades.
- Sprint offers DirecTV customers free year of phone service Updated: Aug-27-15 5:46 pm
NEW YORK - Sprint is offering DirecTV customers one free year of cellphone service in a bold move aimed at the satellite TV company's new owner, AT&T.
- Ex-lawmaker's role in Iowa Medicaid bidding faces criticism Updated: Aug-27-15 5:11 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A former lawmaker's role is casting doubt on the process used to select companies to manage Iowa Medicaid, with one losing vendor alleging she provided an unfair advantage to a winning bidder after working as a state contractor.
- FDA lays out proposal for naming lower-cost biotech drugs Updated: Aug-27-15 4:00 pm
WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Administration released its proposal Thursday for naming lower-cost biotech drugs, a critical step in creating a market for the new class of medicines.
- Apple schedules new product event for Sept. 9 Updated: Aug-27-15 3:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple has announced plans for a new product event on Sept. 9 in San Francisco, where the giant tech company is expected to show off new iPhones and other gadgets.
- Delaware given 2,000 heroin overdose kits Updated: Aug-27-15 1:31 pm
DOVER, Delaware - Thousands of opioid overdose-reversal drug devices have been donated to Delaware high school nurses, paramedics, police departments and addiction treatment centers.
- Bimbo Bakeries recalls bread sold in 11 states Updated: Aug-26-15 8:08 pm
NEW YORK - The maker of Sara Lee, Nature's Harvest and other brands is recalling about 48,000 packages of bread sold in 11 states because they may contain fragments of glass from a broken light bulb at a company factory.
- Entergy units in La. to be merged, after PSC approval Updated: Aug-26-15 4:55 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana utility regulators agreed Wednesday to merge two subsidiaries of New Orleans-based Entergy Corp. into one company that provides electricity to more than 1 million customers around the state.
- Cascadian Farm frozen green beans recalled due to listeria Updated: Aug-26-15 4:49 pm
NEW YORK - General Mills is recalling about 60,000 packages of its Cascadian Farm frozen green beans after one package tested positive for listeria.
- Novo Nordisk adding diabetes drug output in NC, Denmark Updated: Aug-26-15 4:47 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Danish drug maker Novo Nordisk said Wednesday it will open new factories in North Carolina and Denmark as pharmaceutical companies seek to keep up with demand for diabetes medications in an increasingly overweight world.
- Shallow depths belie hazards as waterparks' popularity grows Updated: Aug-26-15 1:38 pm
YPSILANTI TOWNSHIP, Michigan - With their appealing slides and wave pools, waterparks are increasingly popular places to spend a summer day. But the shallow waters belie hazards that experts say visitors who are focused on the fun may be underestimating.
- Uber to work with UofA on mapping, self-driving cars Updated: Aug-26-15 1:35 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - Uber is partnering with the University of Arizona to develop mapping technology as the ride-hailing company expands its research of driverless car technology.
- KCC workers opting to leave civil service for pay raises Updated: Aug-26-15 10:50 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Corporation Commission said 81 percent of its classified workers have chosen to leave the state's civil service system in exchange for a pay raise.
- Tennessee experiments with high-tech sleep monitors Updated: Aug-26-15 3:09 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - About an hour before a Tennessee football player's scheduled bedtime, he gets a reminder via an app on his phone or a text message. That's when he puts on orange glasses that block out the glow of smartphones or computer screens, making it easier to fall asleep.
- Shallow depths belie hazards as waterparks' popularity grows Updated: Aug-26-15 2:02 am
YPSILANTI TOWNSHIP, Michigan - With their appealing slides and wave pools, splashing around at waterparks is an increasingly popular way to spend a summer day. But the shallow waters belie hazards that experts say visitors who are focused on the fun may be underestimating.
- Women's ski gear pitch wins Reno 'Shark Tank'-style contest Updated: Aug-25-15 8:22 pm
RENO, Nevada - The judges included Lt. Gov. Mark Hutchison instead of billionaire investor Mark Cuban, and they took a lighter touch with nervous contestants. But organizers hope a Nevada business pitch competition styled after "Shark Tank" helps give promising entrepreneurs the same kind of boost as the hit reality TV show.
- Caterpillar announces another round of layoffs Updated: Aug-25-15 7:24 pm
PEORIA, Illinois - Caterpillar Inc. has announced it is laying off another 475 workers in its customer service operations, including 300 in the Peoria area.