- Independent Algerian paper faces closure threat Updated: May-04-16 9:09 am
ALGIERS, Algeria - Independent Algerian newspaper El Khabar is facing likely closure after the government cracked down on its ad revenue and challenged its pending sale in court.
- Australia rules out sale of cattle empire to foreigners Updated: May-04-16 1:04 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's treasurer says his government will never sell Australia's largest cattle empire to foreigners.
- Tampa Bay Times buys Tampa Tribune, ends decades-old rivalry Updated: May-03-16 8:45 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - Florida's largest newspaper, The Tampa Bay Times, said Tuesday it has purchased its main competitor, the Tampa Tribune, ending a decades-long newspaper rivalry.
- Liberty House submits bid for Tata Steel assets in UK Updated: May-03-16 3:26 pm
LONDON - Two firms have expressed interest in buying the available assets of Tata Steel UK, setting up rival bids that could help revive the troubled industry in Britain.
- Rich newspaper owners: Industry savior or foe? Updated: May-03-16 2:44 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The Salt Lake Tribune's pending sale to the wealthy Huntsman family unshackles the newspaper from cost-cutting corporate owners and resolves crippling financial uncertainty, but it also raises concerns about whether the influential family will meddle in the paper's coverage.
- Biogen plans to spin off hemophilia business Updated: May-03-16 7:58 am
NEW YORK - Biotechnology company Biogen says it plans to spin off its hemophilia business into a separate, publicly traded company.
- Lights out: Philips to launch IPO for lighting division Updated: May-03-16 3:02 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Royal Philips NV announced Tuesday that it is spinning off its iconic lighting division in an initial public offering so it can focus on its future as a health technology provider.
- Sports Authority plans to sell assets Updated: May-02-16 5:14 pm
NEW YORK - Sports Authority will sell some or all of its assets rather than trying to reorganize under bankruptcy protection.
- Delta gets Mexican OK for Aeromexico joint venture Updated: May-02-16 4:50 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico's anti-monopoly commission has approved a plan for a joint venture between U.S. carrier Delta Airlines and Mexico's Aeromexico, with conditions.
- Halliburton, Baker Hughes eye future after merger scuttled Updated: May-02-16 4:25 pm
DALLAS - Halliburton and Baker Hughes, whose planned merger is the latest big deal to be shot down by antitrust regulators, now must pick up the pieces and shore up their companies during a severe slump in oil and gas drilling.
- International Paper to buy 7 pulp mills from Weyerhaeuser Updated: May-02-16 11:34 am
NEW YORK - International Paper said it is paying $2.2 billion to buy seven mills from Weyerhaeuser that make pulp used in diapers, tissues and other consumer products.
- Alabama governor, senator urge TVA to sell unfinished nuke Updated: May-02-16 8:20 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley and Sen. Richard Shelby are among those urging the Tennessee Valley Authority to sell its unfinished Bellefonte Nuclear Plant, where more than four decades of work hasn't produced a watt of electricity.
- Cleco customers to get $475 bill credit starting in July Updated: May-01-16 11:33 am
PINEVILLE, Louisiana - Cleco customers will get a one-time $475 credit on their energy bills starting in July as part of the electric utility's sale.
- Yahoo CEO could get $55M in severance pay in potential sale Updated: Apr-29-16 7:42 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer will walk away with a $55 million severance package if the company's auction of its Internet operations culminates in a sale that ousts her from her job.
- Red Bulls acquired defender Aurelien Collin from Orlando FC Updated: Apr-29-16 6:51 pm
- Correction: Abbott-St Jude Acquisition story Updated: Apr-29-16 11:12 am
In a story April 28 about an Abbott Laboratories plan to buy St. Jude Medical, The Associated Press reported erroneously the deal's value. Abbott Laboratories will spend $25 billion to buy St. Jude Medical, not $19.3 billion.
- Nationalized Royal Bank of Scotland sees loss widen Updated: Apr-29-16 5:39 am
LONDON - Royal Bank of Scotland says its net loss widened in the first quarter as the taxpayer-owned bank made its final 1.2 billion-pound ($1.7 billion) payment to the U.K. Treasury as part of a deal to give the government first crack at any profits.
- HanesBrands soars on deal to buy Australian underwear seller Updated: Apr-28-16 2:55 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of HanesBrands soared Thursday, a day after the company said it is buying Australian underwear seller Pacific Brands Ltd. for about $800 million.
- Feds say merged KeyCorp, First Niagara must sell 18 branches Updated: Apr-28-16 2:37 pm
ALBANY, New York - KeyCorp and First Niagara Financial Group have agreed to sell 18 of First Niagara's western New York branches to satisfy antitrust issues arising from the planned combination of the banks.
- China's HNA to buy Radisson operator Carlson Hotels Updated: Apr-28-16 12:42 am
HONG KONG - A unit of Chinese conglomerate HNA Group has agreed to buy Carlson Hotels, which owns brands including Radisson and Country Inns and Suites, the latest in a flurry of overseas investments by Chinese companies.
- Yahoo reshuffles board in truce with rebellious shareholder Updated: Apr-27-16 6:37 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Yahoo has reached a truce with an activist investor threatening to oust CEO Marissa Mayer and the rest of its board, removing a major distraction as the company evaluates bids to buy its Internet operations.
- Pfizer agrees to $785M settlement in drug discount case Updated: Apr-27-16 2:03 pm
BOSTON - Drugmaker Pfizer Inc. has agreed to pay nearly $785 million to resolve allegations that one of its companies failed to give Medicaid the same discounts it provided to private purchasers of a heartburn treatment, federal prosecutors announced Wednesday.
- Partners meet with Pacific Power; might want Mirror Pond dam Updated: Apr-27-16 10:17 am
BEND, Oregon - A partnership organized in 2013 to purchase the land beneath Mirror Pond has been meeting with Pacific Power, the company that owns the more than 100-year-old dam holding back the Deschutes River.
- Brown-Forman to acquire 3 single malt Scotch brands Updated: Apr-27-16 10:08 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Brown-Forman Corp., the producer of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, announced plans Wednesday to re-enter the single malt Scotch whisky market with an agreement to purchase The BenRiach Distillery Co. of Scotland along with three brands.
- Boyd Gaming buys Cannery properties for $230 million Updated: Apr-26-16 12:55 pm
LAS VEGAS - Boyd Gaming Corp. says it has reached an agreement to buy Cannery Casino Resorts LLC's two Las Vegas properties for $230 million.