- Arch Coal gives up stake in Washington coal-export project Updated: May-27-16 6:47 pm
LONGVIEW, Washington - Arch Coal is giving up its stake in a joint venture to build a coal export port near Longview, Washington.
- Hercules Offshore strikes deal with lenders Updated: May-27-16 12:29 pm
NEW YORK - Oilfield services company Hercules Offshore has worked out an agreement with lenders before it seeks Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, the second time will have done so in less than year.
- Correction: Earns-Evine Live story Updated: May-27-16 10:49 am
MINNEAPOLIS - In a story May 25 about Evine Live Inc.'s earnings - generated by Automated Insights using data from Zacks Investment Research - The Associated Press reported erroneously that results missed expectations. Adjusted net loss beat expectations, according to a Zacks survey.
- McDonald's CEO says company is making changes customers want Updated: May-26-16 5:48 pm
NEW YORK - McDonald's, under intense pressure in a competitive industry, sought to reassure its shareholders Thursday that it is making changes to its food and service that customers want.
- Police: Pair plotted to steal coal exec's SUV and sell it Updated: May-26-16 4:59 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Two suspects in the fatal shooting of a former coal chief executive in southern West Virginia were planning to steal his vehicle and sell it, authorities said Thursday.
- Sears posts wider loss, looks at options for Kenmore, others Updated: May-26-16 11:38 am
NEW YORK - Long-struggling retailer Sears says it plans to try to leverage its strongest brands like Kenmore and Craftsman to help sustain itself as it posted a larger first-quarter loss Thursday and said sales fell at its Kmart and namesake stores.
- Dollar Tree raises outlook for the year after strong 1Q Updated: May-26-16 9:43 am
NEW YORK - Dollar Tree Inc. on Thursday raised its outlook for the year after its first-quarter profit more than tripled and topped Wall Street expectations.
- Dollar General 1Q profit beats as customers spend more Updated: May-26-16 9:20 am
GOODLETTSVILLE, Tennessee - Discount retailer Dollar General on Thursday posted better-than-expected first-quarter profit as more customers spent more.
- Abercrombie & Fitch shares slide as 1Q disappoints Updated: May-26-16 8:38 am
NEW ALBANY, Ohio - Abercrombie & Fitch shares slid in premarket trading after the teen clothing retailer's disappointing first quarter, when fewer people shopped in its stores.
- Sears reports 1Q loss Updated: May-26-16 6:07 am
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Illinois _ Sears Holdings Corp. (SHLD) on Thursday reported a loss of $471 million in its fiscal first quarter.
- CEO pay in 2015: When a $468,449 raise is typical Updated: May-25-16 5:25 pm
NEW YORK - CEOs at the biggest companies got a 4.5 percent pay raise last year. That's almost double the typical American worker's, and a lot more than investors earned from owning their stocks - a big fat zero.
- Exxon, Chevron shareholders reject climate resolutions Updated: May-25-16 4:17 pm
DALLAS - Shareholders at Exxon Mobil and Chevron rejected resolutions backed by environmentalists that would have pushed the companies to take stronger stands in favor of limiting climate change.
- US probes e-commerce giant Alibaba's accounting practices Updated: May-25-16 4:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba wowed investors when it went public in the U.S. in September 2014, and its profits have bucked Wall Street expectations amid the Chinese economy's slowdown. Yet its unorthodox business structure has raised eyebrows, it's been suspended from an anti-counterfeiting group, and now U.S. regulators are investigating its accounting practices.
- NY board OKs $485M for Buffalo solar plant amid questions Updated: May-25-16 4:07 pm
ALBANY, New York - A state oversight board controlled by the Legislature and Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo has authorized spending $485 million to complete a solar panel production plant, the centerpiece of Cuomo's "Buffalo Billion" economic development program.
- Correction: Earns-Universal Corp story Updated: May-25-16 12:57 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - In a story May 24 about Universal Corp.'s earnings - generated by Automated Insights using data from Zacks Investment Research - The Associated Press reported erroneously that the company reported adjusted quarterly profit of 37 cents per share. The company did not post adjusted income for the most recent quarter.
- Tiffany reports 1Q profit drop on soft jewelry market Updated: May-25-16 8:35 am
NEW YORK - Tiffany's first-quarter profit slid as consumers cut spending and the jeweler issued a pessimistic outlook, sending shares down sharply Wednesday.
- HP Enterprise gets smaller by selling services division Updated: May-24-16 7:45 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Hewlett Packard Enterprise is continuing to slim down by selling its business services division to competitor Computer Sciences Corp.
- Best Buy offers weak profit view, says CFO stepping down Updated: May-24-16 5:08 pm
NEW YORK - Best Buy Co. on Tuesday offered a disappointing profit outlook for the current quarter, weighed in part by a recent earthquake in Japan that hurt the availability of some highly profitable products.
- Ratings firm: Passage of Props 123, 124 credit positives Updated: May-24-16 5:50 am
PHOENIX - A top national bond ratings firm calls the passage of propositions 123 and 124 "credit positives" for Arizona and its school districts.
- AC casino profits up 31 percent in hopeful sign for city Updated: May-23-16 4:11 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Atlantic City's casinos saw their collective operating profit rise by 31 percent in the first three months of the year in another hopeful sign that the struggling industry may be stabilizing.
- NY school solar program off to slow start, now regrouping Updated: May-23-16 10:16 am
ALBANY, New York - An ambitious program to install solar panels at New York's public schools, already off to a slow start, has to recruit a new partner after the financial collapse of one of the nation's largest solar companies.
- Unloved bull market: It's been a year since latest record Updated: May-21-16 3:40 am
NEW YORK - Saturday is the one-year anniversary of the stock market's record high. And no, you didn't miss the party, because no one seems to be in the mood to celebrate.
- New owner wants to make Trump's Taj Mahal casino great again Updated: May-20-16 1:39 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - The name on the front still reads "Trump," but a different flamboyant billionaire now wants to make the Taj Mahal casino great again.
- Lowe's completes $2.4 billion Rona buyout Updated: May-20-16 8:49 am
NEW YORK - Lowe's completed a $2.4 billion buyout of Canadian home improvement retailer Rona Inc., the company said Friday, one week after Canadian regulators signed off on the deal.
- Deere hunkers down in weak global agricultural market Updated: May-20-16 7:35 am
NEW YORK - Deere took a hit in the second-quarter due to a weak global farm economy and a downturn in construction equipment sales.